The Paradox of Tolerance

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by BigAppleNYC123, Oct 10, 2017.

1. BigAppleNYC123 macrumors regular

BigAppleNYC123

The paradox of tolerance:

The paradox of tolerance states that unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them.

We should therefore claim, in the name of tolerance, the right not to tolerate the intolerant.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradox_of_tolerance

Jews should not tolerate Nazis

Gays should not tolerate ISIS

Et al

2. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

That’s why - at least in the US - we are not in a pure democracy and we have many limits that are more or less set in stone.

3. 0007776 Suspended

You can tolerate people’s speech up until it turns into action. If you want to go around punching people you accuse of being Nazi’s when they haven’t done anything but hurt your feelings you belong in jail. If they try to carry out violent acts then they can go to jail with you. If it’s nonviolent, but seone’s Rights are being violated that is up to the courts to determine who’s rights trump whose, not the vigilante justice you’ve advocated for in other threads.

4. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

I take the "line in the sand" approach to tolerance. As long they don't cross the line, I'll tolerate 'em. Once they cross that threshold, then "That's I all I can stands, I can stands no more."

5. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

This all boils down to the perception of the majority who tend to dictate morality

We should therefore claim, in the name of tolerance, the right not to tolerate the intolerant.

Think about your statement. Does this mean that Christians should not tolerate gay relationships and marriage? All in the eye of the beholder.

6. BigAppleNYC123 thread starter macrumors regular

BigAppleNYC123

What you call vigilante justice I call moral justice and cosmic justice. Americas free speech laws are no more morally valid than Germany’s.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 10, 2017 ---
    it doesn’t mean that, because gays are not jailing and killing Christians under man made laws

7. 0007776 Suspended

Go ahead and hold those views. I hope you don’t actually act on them, and if you do then I hope you get a long time in jail to rethink them.

8. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Another Nazi thread? Seriously? :rolleyes:
    Dude, we get it already. You hate Nazis and are willing to toss the Constitution in the trash in order to shut them up.

These words still hold true... "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but WORDS can never hurt me."

You want to jail people over words. You're living in the wrong country for that to occur.
    It's actions that send you off to jail and what you advocate would be a one way ticket to jail for yourself and any others like you.

9. 0007776 Suspended

The people you want to punch are not jailing or killing you either. And even if they get political power we have a lot of checks to keep something like what happened in Nazi Germany from happening here.

10. BigAppleNYC123 thread starter macrumors regular

BigAppleNYC123

Slippery slope argument

11. 0007776 Suspended

That’s not a very good deflection. You have argued over and over again that NeoNazis should face some sort of “justice” for their words. There is no slippery slope in the person’s post that you quoted, they are just pointing out what is wrong with your ideas.

12. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

So in order to prevent intolerants from taking advantage of tolerants we have to become intolerant ourselves? That’s an odd way of looking at the so-called paradox (which is not a paradox in the US).

13. BMcCoy macrumors 68000

BMcCoy

Personally I prefer free speech.

(Not "free speech as long as you say things I agree with")

And with free speech comes the freedom to listen, the freedom to ignore, and the freedom to comment on what someone has said as spectacular nonsense...

But not many people agree with me and want truly free speech. Always lots of exceptions included, like protection for religion. And that's fine. I'm also happy to live in a democracy where other people think differently to me.

14. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Nothing slippery about it... that is your repeated position.

15. Phonephreak macrumors 6502a

Phonephreak

Seems the OP is a person with violent tendencies. He should learn to control his anger

16. chown33 macrumors 604

I see that as the freedom to point and laugh.

17. BMcCoy macrumors 68000

BMcCoy

Yup. Mockery is freedom of speech.

18. BigAppleNYC123 thread starter macrumors regular

BigAppleNYC123

It is not a deflection. It is a fact. It is not true that what I propose must lead to me getting a “ticket” to “jail”. It is a basic slippery slope argument. You can call the fact that I pointed out a slippery slope argument a deflection, and I am entitled to view cries of deflection as a deflection to my pointing out the slippery slope.

19. 0007776 Suspended

You propose punching people you decide are Nazis in the face, if you get caught that is a trip to jail. That is a fact and the law, not a slippery slope.

20. Fancuku macrumors 65816

Fancuku

We call them keyboard warriors ;)