The Parallel Bible

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by gotzero, Nov 7, 2008.

1. gotzero macrumors 68040

I am curious if any members here who quote bible verses have taken a look at this. It is very interesting, and often shows that many of the most common versions of the bible have incredible differences in passages.

Many of the passages often used as justification of prohibited activities are rather radical translations from the rest of the pack.

The clarity this project provides leads me to ask, is the version you quote right sometimes? All of the time? How do you choose?

http://bible.cc/

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I think the whole thing needs to be tossed out. After 2000 years it's time to move on to something less divisive.

Just have one line.

"Be excellent to each other."

[​IMG]

See, now wouldn't that solve all the problems? If everyone just lived by one creed to be excellent to each other? There'd be no nit-picking over things, no arguments over whether laws are discriminatory or not, no fundamentalists, no sides, no bigotry, just people going about their business and being excellent to every person they meet.

Ahh... so much better.

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

My [internet] name is edesignuk, and I approve this message.

<guitar solo>

4. gotzero thread starter macrumors 68040

If only they had bothered to get that in there during their time travels...

5. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

What this project shows clearly, to my mind, is that despite some radically different approaches to translations, most verses are strikingly similar.

mt

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

It is already in there...

Romans 12:18 "If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men." (NASB)

Matthew 7:12 "In everything, therefore, treat people the same way you want them to treat you, for this is the Law and the Prophets." (NASB)

I can't say that everyone who believes and quotes the Bible lives by it... but it is in there

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think the fact that it's surprising is itself surprising. Anyone who's ever learned a second language knows that languages don't say things the same way and that translations are always imperfect. If you really want to understand any scripture that's not written in your native language, you end up having to do at least some digging into the language in which the scripture was actually written -- whether that's Sanskrit, Hebrew, Aramaic, Arabic, or whatever else.

That being said, although I don't practice Christianity anymore, and I am aware of the differences between translations, to be honest, most of the differences in translation haven't led to gross misinterpretation of the Bible. If you look at places where Scripture is grossly routinely interpreted in a way that's very hard to trace back to the likely intent at the time of writing... for instance, the passage which is typically quoted to give the devil the name "Lucifer" and conclude that he was an angel who fell from heaven... that's not an error in translation. That's a failure to be willing to read in context.

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Well said my friend... coming from one who studied both Hebrew and Greek

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

some one pointed that out. I have former friends who believed very firmly that what the bible stated in the translation they used was correct and perfect. They refused accept there could and are errors in translations. I would like to state the friendships ending had nothing to do with the bible or Christianity.

I know translation into another language is a huge part an art because one has to take a word that has a direct meaning but you still have to deal with the other languages grammar rules and have to adjust for those as well.

While I am a Christan and do study the bible I also accept and believe in the fact it is a translations and have errors in it. On top of that the original author way back when had to interpated the events he say and put it in writing. Minor errors occur there and with each translation there are more errors. There is only one truth in the end and that is God's truth. Everything beyond that is human interpenetration of the truth.

10. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

You guess.

11. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

not a guess. Your way of putting that is insulting to me. a better way is I believe that very strongly and when it comes to the bible and the truths in it the only interpolation that is exact and completely true is God's

12. yrsonicdeath macrumors 6502

Bill and Ted did have the ability to time travel.

13. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

This still says "guess" just in more words. You have no idea the bible comes from god. It's self-referential. It claims to be from god ergo it is from god. You may believe strongly that it's the truth but that by no means makes it any truthier. You are guessing it is true and therefore guessing it is from god.

From Dictionary
    guess
    Noun
    Estimate or suppose (something) without sufficient evidence to be sure of being correct.

14. smwatson macrumors 6502a

smwatson

Don't go there. You get essays about why the Bible must be true because it has one historically accurate fact.

If Jesus was so awesome why didn't he write it the lazy beardy weirdy?
    And God's not real. So..

15. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

I think that most of them have been exposed to this sort of material in one way or another. The reason why that information will never change these people's minds is that we underestimate "human nature's susceptibility to the comfort of irrational thought" (from this article). Why face the cold truth when you can remain beneath the warm blanket of invented cosmic babysitters?

I think it's in our nature to give priority to emotion over logic, simply because it's quicker and easier to deal with life that way. I for one, have given up trying to convince religious people that they are mistaken.

16. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

That's just a guess ;)

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

17. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Without getting involved in the discussion of whether various members accept it as inspired or not, I will add that there is a marked difference between a version of the bible and translation of the bible.

A bible Translation is rendered using the original documents as a basis for, you guessed it, translation.

Version is one that is rendered from intermediate texts.

Therefore translations tend to be more accurate.

18. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    The Bible app on the iPhone is simply awesome for its corss-referencing of different versions. While I was attending my family reunion ealier this year, I was switching between translations during service. I particularly like the Amplified Bible. It made my mother wonder if she should get an iPhone.

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=282935706&mt=8

I still like these country code domains. cc, tv, orr nu... it gives people a shot at being seen where they otherwise wouldn't. This site looks like a good example. Good stuff.

~ CB

19. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Just ignore the insults. It gives the anti-religious a bad name when they don't even know the golden rule.

If you believe in a god thats completely fine. Thats the path that works for you and most people are okay with that. To study the bible as a document and explore its lessons and universal truths is a noble endeavor. Personally I believe that bible is a book written by man to help explain the unseen and to help those who need it through troublesome times in their lives. I prefer to face those times without a crutch such as religion while not diminishing those who's lives it is a part of,

20. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Modern English versions of the Bible span over four centuries. The changes that the English language has endured over that time in itself is enormous, so of course the translations will vary greatly :D

21. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Wow, you tell people to ignore the insults then call religion a crutch; I fail to see the point of your post other than to attempt to mask another insult. I could choose to walk the 8 miles to the grocery store, but using my car as a crutch to get me there, faster and safer, shows that I am a thinking individual.

22. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I'll tell you that I have an absolute certainty that the Bible comes from god. It has been witnessed to me many times in my life, and I have complete faith in it's words and teachings.

I know that there are a lot of different translations of the bible. In general, they all say the same thing, just in different words. There are some who have completely changed the wording of the Bible to fit their interpretations but by and large, it's merely a matter of translating the same passages by different people.

I believe the King James version to be the most complete and perfect translation in existence.

SLC

23. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

When you got three divine books proclaiming the existence of God and those three religions agree on that when they have had more conflict in the last few hundred years, that is one sign they are on to something. ;)

24. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

This idea that religion is a crutch is complete nonsense when you take it in the context of the present and not the future (afterlife).

Say your mother dies. Which is more disconcerting, to think it was an occurrence of causality with no greater purpose, or to think that God willed that that person died? The amount of questioning and blame that God endures at these points is monumental. To put it another way, which is more debilitating, to know a loved one died in an accident, or that they were purposefully taken in some way? Intense blame and anger all occur, and to think this is somehow bracing someone in comparison to an accident is preposterous.

25. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Not meaning to sound gratuitously argumentative, but what does witnessed mean exactly?

Is that the same as saying "It has been proved to me…"

Just curious.