The perks of being a Kennedy. (Prescription meds and driving)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacNut, Feb 28, 2014.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-kerry-kennedy-not-guilty-20140228,0,2101786.story

That name has kept more family members out of prison.

2. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Well, they die faster than NiCad batteries. You gotta be as nice as you can while you can.

Kidding aside, it's a worthy topic. We've increased medication use and are only accelerating. This kind of thing will happen more often. What constitutes an accident vs what is willful negligence? Are sleeping pills even used recreationally? What else can be done to prevent it?

3. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

The argument by the prosecution was that she should have known better, and once she stared to fall asleep to pull over.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Just about any other New Yorker would have been convicted. I don't care if you mistakenly took the pill, you were driving under its influence.

5. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

A friend of mine works at a high-end restaurant in NY and told me that the Kennedys are very rude when they dine there even though the staff ensures that they're a top priority. Such entitlement from a name.

Clinton was very polite though.

6. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Sounds like we need to get Tyler Durdin in there the next time the rude Kennedy's show up for dinner. He can properly season the lobster bisque for them....

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Only a misdemeanour?? Wow. I would have thought a felony??

8. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

9. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

No love lost on the Kennedys, but, intent is part of any determination of criminality. The prosecution admitted that there was no intent to take the pill and be under its influence. The contention was that Kerry Kennedy must have realized her mistake at some point, and, that then there was intent.

I thought it was somewhat surprising that, given the way this played out, Ambien itself was not put on trial. That is, I understand that sleep deprivation can be tortuous, but, Ambien can have a lot of side effects (I have seen people with sleep problems take it, and, to my perception, the cure was worse than the disease in that case) and I think it is way over-prescribed. And, it makes absolutely no sense to push it on business-people to help cope with jet lag.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambien

10. sixrom macrumors 6502a

It's rather easy. A concept and practice called personal responsibility works extremely well.

The problem lies in those who'd rather point fingers. Those who feel entitled and those who spend more time sticking their nose in other people's business.

Too frightened to look in the mirror and deal with their own life issues, it's in vogue to play the victim

It starts at the top with leadership, ethics, morals and character. All of the traits that have been absent for far too long in today's society.

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

That name has also kept more family members in the national news over incidents that for most of us might not even make the local paper.

The downside of being a Kennedy.

12. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

For a family that craves attention more than the Kardasians do you think they think of it as a downside?

----------

Would they have blamed Ambien had she knowingly taken it, this was more on her for not paying attention to what bottle she was choosing from. I don't know if you can blame that on the drug more than the user. Had she overdosed and died would that have been at the fault of Ambien?

13. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I would think that anyone would see the publicity of that kind of incident as a downside.

Even the Kardashians.

15. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Ambien is a chemical compound. I don't assign "fault" to chemical compounds.

I think that the pharmaceutical industry and medical practice are largely to blame. Ambien is a drug with major side effects that can cause the patient to become a danger to "self and others". I don't think it should be prescribed to people who are not under observation, and, who may be driving.

16. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

I would hope if she knowingly took Ambien that she would not go out for a drive. The fact that she took it by accident is no reason to blame it on the drug. That is like drinking and driving and blaming it on the beer. I am not a fan of drug companies but you can't blame them for human error.

17. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

Under observation? It's a sleeping pill. I've taken Ambien before, and nothing ever happened besides falling asleep.

18. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Then, I guess you have never experienced the side effects that some people do, as previously listed. Good. Unfortunately, I've seen the serious side effects that show up statistically.