The PIG book, where does your state rank?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Shivetya, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Shivetya macrumors 65816

http://www.cagw.org/site/PageServer?pagename=reports_pigbook2009

I love this book because it should make it clear to each and everyone one of us just how much of our money is essentially pissed away.

2. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Pissed away? Yeah, it's a recession, no one has any money to spend, compounding the problem. Let's remove as much government spending as possible, too, since we don't want to give people jobs. To hell with jobs. Everyone should just take their money out of the bank and grind the system to a screeching halt. And of course, the government, the only entity in a position to spend money, create investments and make jobs, shouldn't spend money.

Maybe this stuff would fly during normal times, but right now we need all the spending we can get.

3. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Sigh...

Waste is giving Halliburton more money than necessary for a job poorly done. Such waste is documented. Waste is spending money to find out the president lied under oath about a blow job. (I don't mean to just target the republican actions, they're just the ones I can think of) Waste is not a layman deciding what jobs have been given enough funding. This first item is just silly:

Yes, one 'would think' but one doesn't know, does one? :rolleyes: I have no idea about wood utilization, but technologies have changed over the last 24 years and not just in the world of microprocessors. I don't see this as wasteful unless there is more than an appeal to some shared knowledge that neither I nor the writer have.

This list goes on. I'm not saying there isn't waste, but these methods of 'uncovering' are populist and entirely unscientific.

4. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

The only sure way to get out of a recession is government spending. An increase in government spending increases planned spending. An increase in planned spending is the only way to get out of a recession.

5. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I doubt you've even read it. What are your thoughts on the items on defense and homeland security?

6. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I also doubt he read it since I looked at it to find where my state "ranked" and found no such thing. :confused:

Unless I'm missed something...

7. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

This is always an interesting review of how a percentage of our money is spent, but I continue to have the same problem with it as before: what is one man's pork is another man's bacon. Some projects that appear obviously silly, may in fact be rather important, useful, and just because they were passed through the budgetary process as "pork" doesn't mean this is bad spending.

Also, the CAGW has a certain myopia when it comes to scientific research which is often beneficial. For instance:

(pg. 12, section II)

I'm not sure, but I believe this monitoring system is part of the Western Kentucky University and National Weather Service system designed to advise people about severe storms, including tornados and flash-flooding. Furthermore, and I hope the CAGW realizes this, but the Weather Channel is getting their information from the NWS and stations like that at WKU.

Of course, there's also obvious "pork" such as this:

(pg. 25, section IV)

It's also interesting to note that Alaska is at the top the stack with regard to "pork."

8. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Interesting breakdowns in different fields, but I can't find a link that ranks states, or per capita government spending in states on this site. I know California must spend a lot per person, but compared to other states, I really don't know. I wish I had some idea of how my state ranks compared to other states.

9. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I didn't see a state by state ranking either, although other GAO studies have indicated that California sends more money out than it receives from Federal coffers. Alaska is mentioned in the intro by the CAGW.

10. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

The "pork" also includes discretionary grants. :rolleyes:

11. Desertrat macrumors newbie

"The only sure way to get out of a recession is government spending."

I rather disagree with "sure", although spending from a surplus can help. But, spending from a deficit condition which adds to that deficit merely takes private investment capital out of the marketplace--which exacerbates the recession.

12. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

the majority of the items are described so vaguely that it's impossible to come to any conclusion about their validity.

some items are puzzling though.

44 millions for 6 military chapels? what are they building, St. Peter Cathedral?
    Other than the obvious common concept that building stuff crates jobs (of course the same jobs would be created if they built/fix useful infrastructures), how can this be? are they including fully functional resurrection chambers?

Or is 'chapel' military code for something else?