The plastic seal on iPhone 6 - ruins the phone for me

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by keatth, Dec 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keatth macrumors 6502

I love everything about the iPhone 6, except for the thin plastic seal between the glass and aluminum that Apple conviently left out of its keynote and advertising. They said the phone was made entirely out of glass and aluminum and that the glass sits directly on top of the unibody. They lied! There is actually a thin PLASTIC seal going around the whole phone and it makes swiping right or left uncomfortable and not as smooth because I can feel it every time. Wtf were they thinking?

2. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

You always have the option of returning or selling it. You will be happy with a Note 4 or an S5 where they do advertise that it has plastic.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

LOL! My issue was with those stupid looking wide bands on the back. Really made the phone fugly.

I'm sticking with my iPhone 5. It's the last model that came in Black/Slate too, not Spaced Out Gray (and yes, I meant to type it that way).

4. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I don't think I understand what you are referring to. How are you even touching the sides of anything while swiping? The screen is rounded, the first I have ever seen on an iPhone. I would have to be swiping clear off the device and almost into thin air to be touching anything other than screen.

5. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Lolz☺️

6. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

I like the bands.

7. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Well some people do. We all like different things. I don't but that's just me.

9. Ken Kaniff macrumors regular

Well they have to bond the glass to the aluminum frame somehow. I find that itty bitty layer of whatever to be extremely non obtrusive to the point that unless one hunts for it, they'd likely never realize it was there. I also don't mind the bands on the back...after all who really stares at the back anyways? All the action is on the front.

I think you're being too anal about things.

Are you this way with everything? You must be a joy to be around.

10. jpeg42 macrumors 6502a

jpeg42

[​IMG]

Ruined!!!! I am typing more words so I don't get another warning lol.

11. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

Do you seriously need to post this in every single iPhone 6 thread? So what they don't make Slate, move on.

12. ToddH macrumors 6502a

ToddH

Put a case on it then... Helloooo!

13. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Ruins the phone? Why do I not notice this microscopic plastic steal that ruins the phone for everyone?

14. saberz macrumors regular

At the end of the day it's a phone. I don't understand why people whine about insignificant things such as this.

15. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Because complaining gets comments

16. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Well, I'd have to disagree with you that it's EVERY iPhone 6 thread. I generally don't post in the ones praising the iPhone 6/6+.

As for moving on, I would but…well, Apple doesn't make a Black/Slate iPhone. There's nothing to move on to.

Lastly, if it bothers you that much, the forums have an ignore option that lets you filter out users you don't want to hear. It works pretty good too.

17. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

That seal has been there since the iPhone 5 if not longer. I'm guessing it's important if they haven't gotten rid of it. I know with the iPhone 5 most cases will cover it so you don't even notice it.

I'm also scratching my head as to how you would even notice it with the rounded edges?

18. 938092 Suspended

You could have a loose screen that isn't seated correctly. I went through 3 iPhone 6's with loose screens that made clicking or you could feel/see it moving on the left side above the volume rockers when you applied pressure.

If you're fingers are snagging on the edges noticeably, they shouldn't be. Compare it to a model in store.

19. H2SO4 macrumors 68040

Tell me. I’m assuimng that when you buy underwear, you mainly buy things on price and fit…….after all who really stares behind your trouser and shirt anyway?
    I think most of us like the way things look more than we like to admit.

20. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

*cringe*

[​IMG]

21. reery macrumors regular

reery

The plastic seal on iPhone 6 - ruins the phone for me

I don't like these bands as well. But if you imagine that it is almost impossible to create a good antenna with a metal backplate on a phone, I can live with these plastic bands.

After all it pays off: My reception either wifi or 4G is waaaay better than on my old HTC M7 and there is no killer gripe like in the iPhone 4.

So at the end I prefer an outstanding reception and the option to hold my phone the way I want to, to a more consistent backplate design.

22. lrsone macrumors 6502

I'm having the clicking screen issue now. Might go to Apple today or sometime next week.

23. Zxxv macrumors 68040

If they called it 'Space and Grey' it wouldn't sound as nice.

24. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

OK. So it bothered you. As others have said, you have a choice of returning the phone. But why did you post the information public and spoil it for everyone else who have paid hundreds of dollars and are outside their return window? Now they will not help but notice this every time they use their device. It's like the "warm tint" or a stuck pixel - you won't care unless someone points it out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.