The political ramifications from Apple's deal to purchase Anobit

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by TWSS37, Dec 20, 2011.

1. TWSS37 macrumors 65816

I wonder if this will make Apple a target now for extremists.

2. vartanarsen macrumors 6502a

Shoot...this is what happens when SJ dies. I am against this..for political reasons which I cant say here because its againsts the terms and conditions of MR (suffice it to say my wife is a Lebanese maronite christian--a group of people forgotton by the world and suffers because of Isreali agression)..Back to Apple--why not invest more in the U.S.? Why not benefit from the fruit of American knowledge?

3. Aadhil macrumors regular

Why would extremists target Apple? They're not acquiring the company because they support Israel. They're acquiring the company because it's good for their future product strategies...

4. Cymbol, Dec 20, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2011

Cymbol macrumors newbie

Cymbol

Totally agree with you on this

On another point Almost Everyone here sticks up for Israel but they have lots of Nuclear Arms etc and no one can ever question them on this, why?

5. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Balance of power. Israel is surrounded by their enemies. Israel with known nuclear capability also keeps Iran in check (which does the rest of us a favour.) Remove Israel and the entire region will be completely destabilized. The Western world (Europe included) would rather not have that, for obvious reasons.

6. Mattie Num Nums macrumors 68030

Mattie Num Nums

Bull. Remove Israel and all those Arabs that were marched out of there homes, lost everything they owned, where murdered, and sent to refugee camps in enemy territories may get what they own back. Israel was stolen from the people that lived there before.

7. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

It's too late for that. The region is now full of potential rogue states, that without any pro-Western presence, would be free to do as they like. Unfortunately, that freedom also means casting a very curious eye to Europe and the West. I for one would not like to see the rise of Iran with its current ideology.

8. Mattie Num Nums macrumors 68030

Mattie Num Nums

Potential rogue states? Every Terrorist group has one demand from America... stop supporting Israel and we'll leave you alone. That land doesn't belong to them and we look at Arabs as the bad people. Imagine if someone came into your house, kicked you out, killed you dad, and then moved in. You'd be pretty pissed I'm sure.

9. DTphonehome macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Apple is going for Israeli talent, that's why they can't just hire in the US. This isn't about saving money by paying lower salaries (not that Israeli engineers make much less than US engineers), it's about going to a place with the talent they need.

And if your Lebanese Christian wife thinks Israel is bad, just take a look at how life is for the Coptic and other Christian denominations in Egypt and across the Muslim world. Not exactly friendly.

10. DTphonehome macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Agreed. Let's give the the US back to Native Americans, Canada to the First Nationals, Australia to the Aboriginals. They were here first and are pissed they had to leave. Also, Mexico would like the entire Southwestern United States back.

11. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Your point is cogent and rational. Unfortunately, I'm not sure the extremist mentioned are functioning rationally. If their point is terror and publicity, then Apple makes a dandy target.

Please understand, I hope fervently that you are right and I am wrong!:)

12. nick_elt macrumors 68000

nick_elt

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Why are you all bringing race into it just because its an israeli company? What difference would it be if it was an american company? Macrumors forums are going downhill lately

13. philbone macrumors newbie

Shame that so many know so little fact. The word "Palestine" is a derivative of the Hebrew term "Plishtim” (invaders), the Biblical name of the Philistines, non-Semites from the Greek islands and from Phoenicia.

Contrary to political correctness, Palestinian Arabs have not been in the area from time immemorial; no Palestinian state ever existed, no Palestinian People was ever robbed of its land and there is no basis for the Palestinian "claim of return.”

Most Palestinian Arabs are descendants of the 1845-1947 Muslim migrants from the Sudan, Egypt, Lebanon, Syria, as well as from Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Yemen, Libya, Morocco, Bosnia, the Caucasus, Turkmenistan, Kurdistan, India, Afghanistan and Balochistan.

Arab migrant workers were imported by the Ottoman Empire and by the British Mandate (which defeated the Ottomans in 1917) for infrastructure projects.

Learn the facts people. And yes, how about the poor Native Americans? What has America done to them?

14. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

It's too bad Apple forgot to consult you whether you are "for" or "against" it, and if this acquisition fits into your political beliefs :rolleyes:

It's hilarious that people like you see no issue with Apple (and everyone else) doing 90% of their manufacturing business in China, which is a totalitarian state with hundreds of dissidents thrown in jails and worse. While you make noises about Israel, which is well established democracy and the only free society in the Middle East.

But again, we digress.

15. Tonewheel macrumors 6502a

I guess it's clear who wears the pants in his family.

16. Mattie Num Nums macrumors 68030

Mattie Num Nums

The 1800's and the 1940's were a different time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Map_of_1947_Jewish_settlements_in_Palestine.png

We called the Natives "Savages" doesn't make it right.

17. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

Kudos. Good point.

18. deputy_doofy macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

I always say this, but the rule only seems to apply to Jews.

Where are all the whites and blacks of America who should be hopping on boats and planes to "go back to where they came from?"
    The freedoms you enjoy came at the cost of the natives who lived here *before* you.

19. Mattie Num Nums macrumors 68030

Mattie Num Nums

So that makes it right? Hey we did it in the past so its OK to continue doing it.

20. philbone macrumors newbie

...and, your point?

21. JoeDMD macrumors member

I think you are a little confused about the relationship between the Israelis and the Maronites. Google Sabra and Shatila.

----------

I would be pretty pissed. Unfortunately you accept an extremely distorted view of history as the truth. Do a little research.

22. iambasil macrumors regular

You should check your facts before giving false truths that may negatively influence readers who aren't knowledgeable on the matter. What you wrote is totally and utterly incorrect. As an example, Lebanon has been a free and democratic country since it gained independence in 1943. That is longer than Israel has existed.

Anyway, back on the topic of Apple's purchase... although I understand it, I am disappointed by it.

23. Mattie Num Nums macrumors 68030

Mattie Num Nums

Umm... this happened to my family.

24. ThunderSkunk, Dec 20, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2011

ThunderSkunk macrumors 68020

ThunderSkunk

Welcome to hell, Apple.

Sheesh. Of all the places in the world to wind up, dead center in the caldron of instability and conflict would not be my first choice. The place, even the topic, is a magnet for single-minded extremists consumed with tribal barbarism.

Gotta say, Apple produces great products, but I'm continually less than impressed with some of the big picture ethics.

25. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

Lebanon? Good one! Newsflash - Lebanon is a Hezbollah-dominated Iran's client state. To quote Wikipedia:

The record of Human rights in Lebanon is a matter of concern for many national and international human rights groups. According to the Country Reports on Human Rights Practices [2], Lebanon's overall human rights record is poor. There are reports that security forces abuse detainees and use torture. The authorities often detain political opponents without charge for both short and long periods of time.

Lebanon ranks #71 in UN Human Development Index (behind Lybia and Belarus!), while Israel is ranked #17. If that's your best example of beacon of democracy in MidEast - you failed.

Maybe now we can get back on topic? :rolleyes: