The Political/Social side of "firearm collection pictures!"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by xUKHCx, Apr 30, 2008.

1. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

As some of you have seen there is a picture gallery thread firearm collection pictures!. That thread is for discussing the actual firearms and posting pictures thereof rather than the political/social views of firearm ownership etc.

I know it has been discussed before usually in response to specific (usually tragic) events and probably in the general context but since the picture thread has spurned some interest in the matter I thought I would create this thread.

Discuss

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Cool. I want to respond to this post in the picture thread.

Authority figures up here will not allow this to happen, because they want you to look to the state for all your protection. They say the ban on handguns is to make the streets safer, but I have yet to see any credible evidence that this is so.

I would love to be able to carry a sidearm, and never have to use it as a result, if you get my drift.

The best I can do at the moment, is to carry a crowbar beside me in the car. If I see someone in trouble, and a gun is not involved, I am ready.

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

"spurred" might be slightly more apropos.

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Out of interest, have you ever been in a situation where the gun or crowbar would have helped? This often-repeated hypothetical scenario smacks of the "torture is OK because you might need to find the hidden nuke" excuse.

5. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Are you really expecting anything but hypotheticals about saving defenseless babies and women from immigrant, drug dealing, home intruder, rapist, murders skunk?

In with this email before some gunner posts it for real;

6. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

"One giant leap for Mankind". :eek:

And no. But as I age, and society around me crumbles, I am put further at risk.

And I am not subject to road rage, so put that out of your mind right this minute.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I felt a little sick reading over that gun thread so I came here to give my opinion, which kinda feels pointless xUKHCx.

8. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Thats a bad analogy.

For the record, I have twice defended myself with a weapon...Ive been help up at gunpoint in the city and had the attacker back off when they realized I was armed.

Ive also had my house broken into, and held the armed intruders at bay with a shotgun until police arrived.

It is an individuals right and responsibilty to protect and defend themself.

While I do own many weapons myself, and support the second amendment without any restrictions, I do feel that this shouldnt be right shouldnt be taken lightly. There are just way too many "Bubba" gun owners and concealed permit holders that dont know anything about gun safety. If someone wants to carry a gun, they should have to take some type of class that goes over firearm safety and the legal ramifications of using your gun in self defense.

9. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Well, I, for one, got your point. ;)

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I got mugged once on the street while the police watched. After the muggers got my money, the police jumped out of their unmarked car that had been sitting nearby all along and accused me of trying to buy drugs from the muggers! I was like, "Did you not just see what happened?" It was unbelievable. They then threatened to arrest me and threw me up against their car and searched me. After they found nothing, they let me go. And no- I didn't get my money back either. The streets aren't safer because of gun bans.

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Just as well you weren't armed, then, wasn't it?

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

No- it wasn't. I don't even see where you get that. Had I been legally allowed to be armed, perhaps it never would have happened and I would have still had my money. Obviously the police weren't going to do anything. They sat there and watched.

13. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I disagree. What would have happened? You pull a gun, they pull a gun/knife, all of this in the middle of the street. Any number of people could be hurt. As it is they got what they wanted and went, which sucks, but no one was seriously hurt.

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You're making assumptions. And the cops still did nothing. They didn't even arrest the guys. You know why? They said if I pressed charges, the guys would just get out in a few weeks and target me again. Yeah, that's great. :rolleyes: Way to solve a problem.

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

On the contrary, if you had pulled a gun on them either you or they would have been seriously at risk of death or permanent injury, and, seeing your luck with the cops, you'd have probably been arrested if you survived. What did you lose that was worth all that?

16. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

So because the police suck that makes it a good idea to have pulled a gun on them yourself in the middle of the street. That's ridiculous and would have made the situation far more dangerous to you, them, and any other poor sod that happened to be in the vicinity.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Again, you're making assumptions. I wouldn't just shoot the guys. I'd just want them to back off. And what did I lose? My right to walk down the street without fear, or at least trust the police to do their jobs, which they didn't. I couldn't even press charges and feel safe. I'd say those are pretty big losses.

18. xUKHCx thread starter Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

But then aren't you making the assumption that pulling out a gun would cause them to back off and for everything to be alright because of it.

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

No, it's you who is making the assumptions: you are assuming that when you pull a gun on armed muggers everything is going to go according to plan. And while we're at it, since when do you have a right to "walk down the street without fear"? Sounds like the motto of Agoraphobics Anonymous.

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

At least I'd have had a chance.

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

So by your reasoning, I should expect to get mugged walking down the street and just be OK with it? There shouldn't be anyway to protect yourself against anything and I shouldn't be able to feel reasonably safe walking down the street? Really? Ok then, we have nothing left to talk about.

22. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Also muggers tend to have the drop on you. Thats how they're successful. They don't have giant warning signs saying, "Attention: I'm going to mug you in 10 seconds!" Attempting to pull a gun after they surprised you is hardly going to work unless you practice gun slinging as a pastime.

You can think of it like an arms race. Just increasing the destructive capacity of the weapon is not going to protect you any better. It is just going to increase the damage done when you use them.

That being said, I'm not opposed to gun ownership as long as the person is trained (I know the 2nd Amendment doesn't apply to outside the US but the well maintained militia isn't a bad idea for a requirement; too bad you don't really see gun nuts in these often, they just tote their gun around and think that makes them superman).

23. xUKHCx thread starter Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

So if it went south and you used the weapon and it killed/serious hurt them how would you feel, considering that if you hadn't pulled the gun then the situation wouldn't have escalated to such a point.

I have been mugged before it is pretty simple hand over your stuff and get over it. One of my main goals in life is to not kill someone.

Also if this is the main reason behind the gun laws what are your views on what can only be considered military weapons such as the larger weaponry displayed in the picture thread.

24. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You did have a chance: you escaped without injury, which you might not have if either you or the police had tried to fix the problem. Again I ask you, what did you lose that was worth death or serious injury, either to you or them?

Nobody has to be "OK" with it. It's a question of how you deal with sh*t when it happens, which it does.

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I already told you. And the police could have stopped it and didn't.