The Pope doesn't wear Prada (according to the Church)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ezekielrage_99, Jun 26, 2008.

1. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Holtz has more claim on the planets then the Pope does.

"Frivolous" does not say "incorrect". ;)

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

So what if he does? I'm certain he doesn't spend a lot of his money on stuff, and he is a human being. Just because he's the Pope, doesn't mean he must live a life wearing the cheapest shoes he can find, or wear tattered clothes. That's not what makes him or his wisdom significant.

I'm not religious by any definition of the word, so I've never noticed his fashion sense, but cut the guy some slack. I doubt he goes out on the high street and bought those hats.

4. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Slack?? Slack??

Maybe they are stitched by nuns hidden under the Vatican, and derive their colour from ... never-mind. Too ugly to visualise.

5. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

I would have to think most of his clothes are custom made.
    I don't think Walmart has a vestments department or there is a Vestments R Us.

6. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Do you mean Holst?

7. oblomow macrumors 68020

oblomow

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Maybe Hollister? :p

9. djellison macrumors 68020

The pure vulgarity in a 'church' spending hideous ammounts of money on indulgent regalia as modelled by most senior church officials defies belief.

"On recent drives through St Peter's Square he shaded himself from the fierce June sun under a wide-rimmed bright red hat known as a "Saturn" after the planet with the rings."

I'm sure I'm not the only one to find a little humour in the leader of the Catholic Church having Saturn on his head.

If the entire Catholic Church were anything other than a tower of hypocrisy, those overly indulgent items of jewellery, clothing, regalia and so forth would be done away with and the resulting revenue turned to good use. Just flick through the Stadelmaier catalogue - thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars on toys and trinkets. Having thousands of dollars of gold on your fingers and around your neck, whilst 'praying' for the starving is, to my eyes, a disgrace.

10. AceWilfong macrumors regular

AceWilfong

Secretly wishes he was Carol Channing.:D
    I think he's just a big silly.

11. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Yeah, that guy too. :eek:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Planets

Too Gay, by half?? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

What you guys are forgetting is that the Pope isn't just a religious leader, he's also a politician. Whenever he travels outside the Vatican, he's afforded the privileged and respects reserved for other world leaders. Is it so inconceivable that some of those 'accessories' he wears are gifts from other world leaders or even affluent Catholics? I remember the much beloved Pope John Paul II wore a Rolex that cost more some cars.:p I doubt he paid for that.

Every piece of his papal regalia, from the Triregnum (tri-crown hat) to his choir dress (white cossack, red skull cap and shoes) is custom made. I don't know about everyday clothes. We never see the Pope in civilians clothes because he always appear in uniform in public.

13. djellison macrumors 68020

So you say to some rich business man from Austria ( total guess ...wherever he got the watch from ) "Bless you for this gift, that really is very very kind of you. What's we're going to do is ask Sothebys to dispose of it along with this lovely model that Ferrari gave me...between them, what with my being the Pope, they should raise a fortune, and we'll fund a womens literacy program in Eritreya, and rebuild schools and homes devastated in that recent natural disaster".

THAT - I could say "OK - I don't believe in your religion, but at least you're doing the right thing, you're practicing what you preach"

But just saying "Ooo- more trinkets....put it with the others!...god bless the homeless" - it's a bit well, sick.

Doug

14. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

I wouldn't go that far. But yeah, there are lots of people who'd want to curry the Pope's favor. Like I said, he's also a politician.

15. ezekielrage_99 thread starter macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I always thought it was considered to be correct for priests and nuns to take a vow of poverty :confused:

16. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

They are impoverished. Just look at how they have to live.

Owning nothing means nothing, if you have everything supplied free.

:mad:

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

No, that's monks and nuns. There's a long list of incredibly wealthy cardinals, popes and other priests.

18. John Jacob macrumors 6502a

John Jacob

Well, The Devil Wears Prada. So if the Pope wore Prada, he would be wearing the same clothes as the devil... :D

Can't believe nobody else here thought of this movie reference.

19. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Well naturally the Pope shouldn't wear Prada, seeing as how the Devil wears it. :rolleyes::p:D

Seriously though, is this really such a relevant topic for discussion? World leaders, political figures, and religious leaders are known to spend money in sometimes questionable ways, and on the list of items that are too grand to be acceptable, I hardly think Prada shoes is one of them.

20. mpw Guest

Or that it appears he's trying to force his head through Saturn's ring while wearing protection from a burning sensation to his head.

21. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

Why do so many people seem to care so much about what kind of shoes the Pope wears? People seem to forget that the Pope is not merely a religious leader, he's also a world leader.

Besides, the Pope isn't some robot that can be conditioned to not desire or want anything. He is human, and has human wants and needs. Sure, he may pick quality, and therefore expensive, clothes, but I can't exactly imagine that he has a big-screen television and a computer to put all other computers to shame.:rolleyes:

Usually the same people that say that the Pope should be dressing like a peasant are the same ones that say that the Vatican should be ditching all of it's "vast wealth" to help the poor, forgetting that the Vatican usually is barely breaking even on the cash flow and most of the wealth is centered in art and real estate, which the Vatican will not sell.

22. djellison macrumors 68020

Why not?

Camel thru the eye of a needle and all that.

It's not my standards by which the wealth of the church is monumentally hypocritical...it's the church's standards.

Doug

23. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

Because the Vatican doesn't believe that the artifacts are the Vatican's to sell. They were made to portray the glory of God, and the Vatican sees itself as the caretaker of them, so they can edify the public. If I recall correctly, the Vatican doesn't even attempt to value them - art in the Vatican, for example, such as the Pietà and the ceiling in the Sistine Chapel, are valued at one euro apiece for bookkeeping purposes.

24. djellison macrumors 68020

I'm sure they're insured for a little more than that :rolleyes: