The Pope on Nazis and Atheism

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by spblat, Sep 16, 2010.

1. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11332515

The Pope also warned against "aggressive forms of secularism."

I have a question for my Christian friends. Are you comfortable with the way in which your religion's most visible living public figure conflates the totalitarian, xenophobic murderous nazis with people who disbelieve (or lack belief,if you prefer) in God?

As a side topic, we may also wish to examine what constitutes "aggressive forms of secularism" and why they should be curtailed.

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Not all Christians are represented by the Pope.

I agree, that his comparison is over the top.

3. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Or you can ignore it.

He represents Catholicism, not Christianity in general.

4. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

The pope's an idiot along with his entourage who make stupid comments.

Personally I could care less about what that guy says (partly because I am not christian and also because I just don't care), sure to some people live without god can be like stripping away hummanity and being mean buggers but I know a lot of people that don't believe in god and treat everyone with kindness and respect so his argument is crap. :)

End of rambling rant.

5. supercaliber macrumors regular

I am not catholic but love the Pope. He rocks. I believe it is in the interest of anti-religious hate mongers to dissect every word of every religious leader to find a quote and a position that clearly elevates their morality over these so-called religious zealots. It is folly and foolish and leads nowhere because you can do the same with a great scientist or scientific committee.

Take what the pope says, think about it and apply what you wish to your life. Don't dismiss him because he makes a Nazi reference.

He disapproves of Nazi's for good reason, he disapproves of those that hate religion for good reason.

He understood better than anyone what Nazis were about he was in their fold as a youth. Who better than him to describe the brainwashing that went on.

So he thinks there are dangers in zealously trying to destroy the notion of God. Good for him.

Atheists hate the Nazi comparisons, but oh well, they aren't a good spot in history to deal with for groups of people that hate religion and only look at religion as a way to control people. Cuz that is what the Nazis did, destroy the established religions, set up your own religion to control the population. History, a tough son of a bitch.

6. Surely Guest

Surely

I'd actually take him seriously if the church used their billions to actually help the poor instead of running the church like a business.

7. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Since Ratzinger Godwined already may I point you to the Riechskonkordat and one of the few times a quote by Hitler is relevant:

"I have been attacked because of my handling of the Jewish question. The Catholic Church considered the Jews pestilent for fifteen hundred years, put them in ghettos, etc., because it recognized the Jews for what they were. In the epoch of liberalism the danger was no longer recognized. I am moving back toward the time in which a fifteen-hundred-year-long tradition was implemented. I do not set race over religion, but I recognize the representatives of this race as pestilent for the state and for the Church, and perhaps I am thereby doing Christianity a great service by pushing them out of schools and public functions."

8. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

you can add this one, by the same individual

"Without pledging ourselves to any particular Confession, we have restored faith to its pre-requisites because we were convinced that the people need and require this faith. We have therefore undertaken the fight against the atheistic movement, and that not merely with a few theoretical declarations: we have stamped it out."

atheists were actively persecuted in nazi germany.

9. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

I pretty much already guessed what the article would contain based on the title. In fact, only instance where I can't imagine this happening with the Pope in the title is "The Pope on Adolescents."

10. Shivetya macrumors 65816

They do, people just prefer to set unobtainable goals. As in, regardless of how much they do they can never do enough for the haters.

11. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

12. Surely Guest

Surely

Yes, they've really taken a no-frills and humble approach to the Vatican. Jesus would be so proud.:rolleyes:

13. Queso macrumors G4

Have you been to The Vatican? Or Lourdes? Or Fatima? Or any of the other massively opulent shrines to Catholicism that dot Southern Europe? The wealth and arrogance on display is quite sickening.

If you had visited those sites you'd believe they could go further...a lot further.

As for The Pope I don't think he's quite all there. There's something quite damaged about his religious zeal, like the nutter with the megaphone that used to preach to shoppers on Oxford Street. One wonders whether those events back in 1968 were something he never quite healed from.

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Fixed that for you.

15. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

What are you suggesting? That they sell everything they have and give it to charity?

16. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

He's hilariously out of touch and frantically yelling whilst at the helm of a sinking ship. It's entertaining to watch the catholic church get more and more desperate.

Nice work atheists everywhere. We're winning :)

17. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Ratzinger ought to know about Nazis since he was a Hitler Youth.

19. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

In that case, I'm nazi and proud. What an idiot the pope is. :rolleyes:

20. Surely Guest

Surely

What Would Jesus Do?

21. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Probably just cry into his beer at this stage. That or do a world tour in exquisite frocks and silly hats.

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Well one easily attainable goal is to not the people of various African nations not to use contraception. That would be nice.

23. Surely Guest

Surely

I'd like to party with that dude.

24. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

There's good news for you then Surely. All you have to do is open your heart....

25. Surely Guest

Surely

When you say heart, you mean wallet, right?:D