The Power Of Television

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Desertrat, Dec 16, 2007.

1. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I've seen all manner of arguments about the effect of television on what people believe and how they act or act out. My view has always been that it's a given that some people will commit violent acts as a result of ideas they get from TV. If not, why are all those billions spent on TV advertising?

Ran across this article this AM:

http://www.sundayherald.com/news/he...rtoon_critters_to_pretend_animals_in_zoos.php

"CHILDREN ARE being left disappointed after visiting the zoo because the animals there aren't "real" enough.

My ox is gored from the potential effect on wildlife management and hunting. These shows, along with Felix Salter (Bambi) and Walt Disney, have contributed to many problems for game departments and hunters.

However, the thrust of the article is less about personification of the animals and more about the effect of imaginary things on kids' perception of reality. There will always be that percentage that carries unrealistic or even hostile views over into real life.
    Children have long applied human characteristics to animals, but the all-singing, all-dancing antics of cartoon characters in films such as Happy Feet, Finding Nemo and Madagascar have pushed the personification of animals to a new level.

Now research into zoos and their visitors has found that children are even claiming that some animals are in fact "pretend" because they aren't behaving the way the children expect."

2. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I often when wonder about whether 'reality TV' will make it difficult for future generations to discern 'reality'.

3. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I really don't watch television. I typically see a total of an hour each month, usually just some sports. This is a departure from my younger days.

The main thing I think it does is leave me completely clueless when people try to hold a conversation with me about the latest crappy TV show. Even that seems to cause my eyes to glaze over and I just nod. I suppose it's a good thing then as I don't think I'm missing anything important.

4. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

*Sigh.* Television gets blamed for everything.

Tell the idiot parents to switch over from Cartoon Network to Animal Planet every once in a while.

5. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Television is teh lame.

I cancelled my cable TV after about a month of starting it. I only use my TV for video games and movies now.

99% of the stuff on TV is just crap. Even if you watch Discovery Channel or History Channel, you're still paying a ridiculous amount for a crapload of stuff that you don't need (shopping network?), plus all the advertising that comes on those educational channels. Advertising is the devil and I avoid it at call costs in all forms. I don't need someone telling me what I should buy, unless it's Steve Jobs ;)

6. Desertrat thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess my viewing should definitely be called "selective". I really do like car racing--natural, given my years of driving race cars--and football. Some programs on the History, Discovery or National Geographic channels are quite good. I use the news programs as a way of learning that something happened, although I draw my own conclusions as to the meanings of events.

Heck, last night I really enjoyed Oscar Levant's piano playing in "American in Paris". Ya never know what will pop up.

But kids left to their own lack of judgement with a TV as the babysitter aren't selective--and that seems to be a serious problem for some. For those who call TV a "wasteland" or "useless", consider the studies showing the hours spent by many kids in front of the TV. Ten or twelve hours per day is not uncommon.

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I gotta agree w/Thomas Veil that this sounds like a parental problem, not a TV problem. If parents let kids decide their own meals would the candy makers be at fault for all the fat, malnourished children running around?

Lethal

8. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

I know that feeling. I haven't watched TV in 10 years and I am completely clueless when people bring up the latest shows or, even worse, ads.