The PowerPC Linux Wiki

Status
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.

adamjackson

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
@adamjackson If you did a Cmd + Opt + O + F, that will put you into Open Firmware, which is a CLI. Unless you entered multi-boot, how did you boot from a drive with a penguin logo? Seeing that should have required the boot picker, which is accessed with just Opt (not Opt + Cmd + O + F).

You can burn them to disc if you wish, but if you followed the Wiki's USB boot instructions, installing via USB is usually faster and pretty straightforward.

Also, the Ubuntu 16.04 download offered in Distributions is supposed to be of 16.04.6, not 16.04.5.
The issue I'm having is specifically this - https://askubuntu.com/questions/671159/bootable-usb-needs-cd-rom

ubuntu's installer is asking for a CD-ROM and I was in the OF Picker as you described. It definitely recognizes the USB drive has ubuntu on it and goes through the installer loader.

z970mp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
zgxSystems
The issue I'm having is specifically this - https://askubuntu.com/questions/671159/bootable-usb-needs-cd-rom

ubuntu's installer is asking for a CD-ROM and I was in the OF Picker as you described. It definitely recognizes the USB drive has ubuntu on it and goes through the installer loader.
What happened when you tried:

Once I get the "Your installation CD-ROM couldn't be mounted..." message and I'm back at the main Ubuntu Server install screen, I simply plugged the USB thumbdrive out, then plugged it in again, and then after pressing the "detect CD" option, I got "The CD-ROM autodetection was successful... The installation will now continue." ... and so the installation continued.
or likewise,

1. Start up live CD.
  2. Without touching anything open a terminal and type:
    sudo umount -l -r -f /cdrom

3. Install Ubuntu without any issue.
as mentioned in the thread?

Otherwise, I believe we've encountered this problem before (somewhere in the bowels of this thread, probably around last April). I think you're supposed to use a different USB drive, and if that fails, try a different port.

Reactions: adamjackson

Frank Ciampa Champ

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2020
Maine
did a fresh install of Ubuntu 14.04 and it refuses to see my audio chip. I have an 2005 G5 dual 2.0. I listed installed devices and sure enough it states that audio was not found. Is there a way to make it see the audio??

adamjackson

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
What happened when you tried:

or likewise,

as mentioned in the thread?

Otherwise, I believe we've encountered this problem before (somewhere in the bowels of this thread, probably around last April). I think you're supposed to use a different USB drive, and if that fails, try a different port.
I wanted to follow up. Burning a DVD of the ISO fixed my issue. Now I'm having problems installing "Yaboot" which is required in the install. I'm going to keep tinkering with it.

Status
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.