The Present ..... Truth Contest

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LIVEFRMNYC, Dec 8, 2013.

1. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

This was a very interesting read. Go to link, then click on "The Present"

http://truthcontest.com/

I didn't read the two others below yet.

2. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

O.k. whatever they are trying to sell with that neverending pseudo-spirutal BS, I'm not buying.

3. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

4. Huntn, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2013

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Lol, Just who is judging the truth of the winning answer? :p

5. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

There is no "meaning" or "purpose" in the universe. That's an entirely human-created concept.

6. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

7. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I'll submit to you that is impossible. :)

8. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I would say until you or I have visited all places in the universe any answer is a personal opinion.

That's just a fact.

9. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Neil deGrasse Tyson answers the question: Does the universe have a purpose?

10. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

Exactly. None of know the truth is . Opening our minds to all possibilities will at least give us a chance to ponder about the truth, even though we don't even know it.

11. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

How about no meaning or purpose that we are aware of or can verify? This is a very long way from there being no meaning or purpose on a factual basis. :p

----------

His answer: "I'm not sure." Good answer! :)

----------

Yes it is possible to ponder, theorize, explore, seek out, but until we know an infinitesimal amount more than we currently know, it's impossilbe to spread the truth. This does not preclude us from sharing our feelings on the matter though. ;)

12. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

As Neil deGrasse Tyson points out in the video above:

"While I cannot say for sure whether the universe has a purpose, the case against it is strong, and visible to anyone who sees the universe as it is, rather than as they wish it to be."

Attached Files:

13. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

The problem with that is, we barely know what we are looking at (figuratively and literally speaking). We once thought the world was flat. We don't even know all the functions of our own bodies, and haven't discovered everything in our surroundings. Knowledge of science is always evolving. So we really can't say what is indefinitely.

14. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Saying the universe has a purpose implies that the universe has a goal or an intention.

How could science be used to measure or discover its "purpose"?

15. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

The same way we discovered how the roles of differ species of life effect our planet. And I don't believe such a large number of randomness can create such a great balance and sense. It has to be some purpose.

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

As science seems to indicate, our universe will continue to expand until all matter dies out and goes cold.

As far as we can tell, our universe will die.

What could be it's purpose?

As you imply, I prefer to believe that existence itself is as much purpose as anything can have.

And really, that's no purpose at all.

17. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

What I'm asking is how exactly could scientific method be used to observe/measure/etc. something as intangible as purpose?

Can you cite an example illustrating how purpose might be "discovered" at some future date? How do you discover the intangible?

18. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

Well define purpose.

I think it was on purpose(as explained in my last post) that all that exists was meant to be. But I can't fathom the purpose of why that existence was meant to be.

How are you sure that discovery of purpose is intangible? That's intangible within itself.

19. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Sorry, but I'm not following your logic... You seem to be saying because (you believe) the universe was created "on purpose" it therefore "has a purpose". That doesn't follow...

IMO, the "purpose of the universe" is a philosophical question, rather than being the type of question that science could answer or prove via empirical facts.

20. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

What's the purpose of something being created on purpose if it has no purpose? Can you actually name anything humans done on purpose without a purpose? Even if it's something created just for entertainment or amusement, the purpose would still be indulgence. So it's impossible for something to be "meant to be" without a purpose. And IMO, a purpose can always be exposed. Science could very well lead us to the answer by filling in the pieces of the puzzle. The whole belief that the universe is some unsolvable mystery is something I don't believe in.

21. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

All of that assumes that the universe was created "on purpose" vs. its creation simply being the result of a random occurrence.

22. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

Basically. And like I mentioned earlier, I just don't believe such balance and sense can result from randomness. Not saying that I believe in God/Religion, but I believe some entity is responsible for the universe that we know. But we know so little, and I'm okay with that. :)

23. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

But why bother to "spread the truth"? It's a misnomer. However, we can always strive for greater understanding.

24. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

Well I didn't take what I linked literally. Reading the main page, it seems more like someone just wanted to hear the most logical and/or sensible ideology/opinions of others. I never took the whole "truth" in the title of the page to heart. Which is why I stated, one of the submissions was just an interesting read.

25. localoid, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2013

localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Maybe the "balance and sense" that you mentioned, are the laws the universe follows -- the laws of physics.

The book, The Grand Design, by Stephen Hawking and Leonard Mlodinow, provides a simple explanation of how the Big Bang could have been created "out of nothing" as a consequence of the laws of physics.