Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How much will OS X Mavericks cost?

• Total voters

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
I'd say It should be free. I've not really noticed any significant features worth upgrading..

----------

Like most polls, silly. The price will be what it will be and probably less than the $140 for Windows 8.1.

Actually Windows 8.1 is a completely free upgrade from Windows 8. Exactly why I believe OSX Mavericks should also be free If you have Mountain Lion..

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
I'd say It should be free. I've not really noticed any significant features worth upgrading..

Snow Leopard actually touted "0" new features and it cost $29 which people gladly paid. In some enterprise/vertical markets companies pay regular maintenance fees just to keep development going. I think OSX upgrades are worth something. If anything, just to keep the Cupertino coffee station stocked as the coders burn the midnight oil.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
The under the hood improvements alone arfe well worth the $20 it will probably be.

Actually Windows 8.1 is a completely free upgrade from Windows 8. Exactly why I believe OSX Mavericks should also be free If you have Mountain Lion..
One of the differences is that Windows 8 cost $100 or more. Do you want to go back to paying over $100 for OS X upgrades every two or three years instead of $20 every year?

cedwhatev

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011
Canada
I have no problem paying 20.00 for it... if the rumoured better battery life comes into play, then it's a steal.

Snookerman

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2008
I would be willing to pay up to $20 but I have a feeling they will go the iOS route and offer it for free. I dont think the ~$560 million they would gain from charging $20 for it matters so much for Apple. It's probably better for them to offer it for free and have more people upgrade or buy a mac.

Called it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.