The Problem With 2016 GOP Presidential Candidates

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Huntn, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Huntn, Apr 19, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2015

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

It looks like another extraordinarily weak crop of GOP candidates for 2016, who if they had any redeeming qualities, as usual are throwing those out the window to appeal to their base and subvert their National appeal. This is symptomatic of the disengeniuous role they play to fit into GOP World, first saying what they really think, second altering their message to align with their base for the primaries, and thirdly, flip flopping again to regain National appeal after losing it. Bottom line, instead of just being honest and not winning National elections, they believe this dance of misdirection and dishonesty is the best way to serve themselves. It's definitely not upholding the values we supposedly hold dear,

Example 1: Although I don't believe Scott Walker has any redeeming qualities, it appears he has shifted his position several times on immigration.

Scott Walker Drawing Notice With Shifting Stances

Example 2: Rand Paul on climate change: What's Rand Paul's Position on Climate Change? It Depends on the Day

Example 3: I don't need to worry about Ted Cruz because his positions are so far right and extreme it does not matter what kind of shifts he decides to make if any.

Example 4: Chris Christie Veers Right On Climate Change as 2016 Approaches

2. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Called politics. Happens on both sides. I joyfully await you making a thread about people on the left changing their views too for votes.

3. Huntn, Apr 19, 2015

Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

First off as a rule Democrats don't have this issue to the extent the GOP does, my opinion. And there appears just to be one Democrat running for President, we already have ample, an excessive number of threads in existence about her. ;)

4. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

The problem with the GOP candidates is that they're all dirtbags. In a nutshell.

5. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

You'll be waiting for Godot.

6. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Probably have a better chance of seeing God.

7. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

You don't need me. You guys, the ones with issues to direct at Democrats should start such a thread. Oh, wait, you* all ready have. :)

*collectively

8. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

It's called not having a back bone. No one currently in the run is worth voting for, democrat or republican.

9. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

None can pass the purity test; however, Republican voters can at least choose from libertarian to Evangelical to checked-pants country-clubber.

The Democrats, however, chose nomination by coronation and what do they offer? A foreign policy "expert" who:

Voted for the 2003 Iraq War.
    Was baffled by chaos in Egypt, Syria, Iraq, Yemen, Afghanistan, Ukraine
    Created an Islamist snake pit in Libya.
    Saber-rattles towards Russia for no obvious purpose.
    Defends the extrajudicial assassination of American citizens.

And who on the domestic policy front:

Supported the repeal of the Glass-Steagall Act.
    Supported the Defense of Marriage Act.
    Publicly opposed gay marriage
    Supported NAFTA.
    Refuses to take a position on the TPA.

Of course, Hillary always has that hopey-changey thing going for her. :p

Looks like I'll be voting "I" again in '16, though.

10. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

It's on, she has that magical "D" next to her name, they will vote for her just because of it

11. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Or maybe we'll vote for her because we trust her more on issues that matter to us than any republican based on the track record of the magical "R".

12. APlotdevice, Apr 19, 2015

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Make enough grilled cheese and eventually you should see God.

13. Meister Suspended

Meister

I didn't really look at this man before your post, but at least from his wikipedia page I could not find any extreme positions.
    Except that he is part of the patriot act crowd and therefore inacceptable.

14. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Wikipedia isn't exactly the most reliable source of information. :p

15. Herdfan macrumors 6502

What I find interesting on the Democratic side is that they are facing what the Republicans faced the last 2 elections: Nominating someone because it was "their turn". Didn't work out well with McCain or Romney so do the Democrats think it will work out any better than Hillary.

As for the GOP field, at least Rand Paul will tell you what he thinks. It may be different from what he thought yesterday, but it won't be finessed.

16. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

You maintain a smidgen of credibility if you acknowledged this is a characteristic of most groups especially Republicans. ;)

17. Meister Suspended

Meister

enlighten me, please

18. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

The only reliable source of information is one that will buttress my opinion on whatever it is we're discussing. :D

19. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

20. Meister Suspended

Meister

No, that's obvious.
    About Ted Cruz, please.

21. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

BOTH groups are stuck with that thinking, worse thing is the people fall for it. makes no difference who the "nominees" are, you could put Hilary on the GOP ticket and Cruz on the dem ticket and people would not even notice their names and vote for the magical "D" or "R" for that matter.

22. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

In many cases, kinda, but they would fall over dumbfounded if Cruz showed up with a D next to his name, and some might also assume it is a typo and vote for him anyway. ;)

23. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Enter Martin O'Malley.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpoli...omy-needs-sensible-rebalancing-not-pitchforks

Happy now?

BL.

24. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I'm always happy when NPR is forced to bleep someone.

25. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I'm less certain that this is not a distinction without a difference when it comes to the actual positions of each of these candidates, however. Each tries to carry some standard, but how fast will they drop that flag when the times suits them?

Considering the flip-flops of various GOP candidates already, it's not looking good and sharp-eyed voters should pay particular attention to how fast the libertarian standard gets hidden in the hall closet.

Slow down with that past-tense there chief. We haven't had a single caucus, much less a primary and all that talk of Clinton's inevitable reign so far is marketing bluster.