Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chriscrk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Planet Earth (?)
Could anyone tell me what steps an iPhone goes through to be made, as in, in what countries every piece is made, where it's all put together and assembled, etc.?

If anyone could help me with this, I'd really appreciate it!

Last edited:

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
First you get a starving chinamen and offer him room and board with 3 squares of fish and rice for 18hrs of his day.......Rinse and repeat 300 times.

Tremulant

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2012
US
A bit off-topic, but I heard that Fox-Conn in CHina employs somewhere around 800,000 people. 800,000!! That's more than the population of Wyoming I bet!

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Korea and Taiwan are a couple I believe. I think some parts come from here in the US too, but I could be mistaken.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
where is this thread going.....

I know most of it is in China...that is where the phones ship from.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
Could anyone tell me what steps an iPhone goes through to be made, as in, in what countries every piece is made, where it's all put together and assembled, etc.?

Not sure about how they are produced, but back in 2010, they produced about 137,000 per day.

I imagine that number is much higher now.

Link: http://goo.gl/mnRtW

lazard

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
It's clearly not what I'm asking for though?
I want to know where components are made, and where it's assembled, not the treatment worker's get :s

parts 90% China, 10% Japan and Korea. Assembled in China.

chriscrk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Planet Earth (?)
where is this thread going.....

I know most of it is in China...that is where the phones ship from.

Yeah, from what I understand, they're assembled there. That's why so many leaks come from the factories there.

I'm curious as to where the different parts are made, or well, the ENTIRE process of making it, ranging from design in the US to finishing it off in China :)

----------

So you poop on human rights?

Never said that, it's just not relevant to the information I'm trying to find out about.

----------

parts 90% China, 10% Japan and Korea. Assembled in China.

Thanks!
Do you happen to know what, for example, that 10% of components that are made in Japan/Korea are? Chips? Screens?

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
Apple has multiple suppliers for parts. For example, there were around three companies that made the screen for the 4S. Same with assembly; there are at least several foxconn plants in different countries involved. There are occasional stories that are posted on MR.
Perhaps you should search through the archives.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
I'm more curious on why you want such specific information.

Until a new phone is able to be stripped down tI it's components, there's no way to know what came from where...and even then it's somewhat of a guessing game. A better place for your answers would be to search for any of the iPhone teardown sites.

----------

A butt load.

...so, an iPod Shuffle then? Anything more would hurt.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
I'm more curious on why you want such specific information.

Until a new phone is able to be stripped down tI it's components, there's no way to know what came from where...and even then it's somewhat of a guessing game. A better place for your answers would be to search for any of the iPhone teardown sites.

----------

...so, an iPod Shuffle then? Anything more would hurt.

I'm talking Rosie O'Donnell butt.

Kblakeshot

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2008
Indiana
First you get a starving chinamen and offer him room and board with 3 squares of fish and rice for 18hrs of his day.......Rinse and repeat 300 times.

Wow.. so harsh & racist, but for some reason I chuckled. Definitely some truth behind the joke though unfortunately.

3rd Rock

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Over here

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-09-11 at 5.05.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-09-11 at 5.05.51 PM.png
    234.4 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:

elementskins

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2012
Metro Vancouver, Canada

Getting away from the humour, here's a bit of an idea about the process...

The device itself is designed at Apple HQ in Cupertino, CA, which most likely includes initial prototyping of a non working physical device. Pretty much all the details of the design, right down to the selection of components and layout of the internals are done in-house in Cupertino.

Once they have narrowed down the options to a few designs, they likely have them manufactured in small runs at the Foxconn factories in China, allowing them to produce working prototypes from which to choose the final design.

Once the final design is spec'd, Apple looks to its supply chain for the parts, which are made mostly in China, Taiwan, Japan, and Vietnam, but also include Thailand, and the US (The processors for instance are made at a Samsung plant in Texas). All the sourced parts are shipped to Foxconn's factories in China for final assembly of the devices.

From there, the devices are shipped around the world.

I'm sure there are many more steps, but that's the short and curly of it.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010

Very very involved. Apple is rather secretive about most of it, but various groups without a life have figured out some it.

A quick google search is going to get you way more information than asking here.

chriscrk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Planet Earth (?)

Thanks a bunch! :D

----------

Getting away from the humour, here's a bit of an idea about the process...

The device itself is designed at Apple HQ in Cupertino, CA, which most likely includes initial prototyping of a non working physical device. Pretty much all the details of the design, right down to the selection of components and layout of the internals are done in-house in Cupertino.

Once they have narrowed down the options to a few designs, they likely have them manufactured in small runs at the Foxconn factories in China, allowing them to produce working prototypes from which to choose the final design.

Once the final design is spec'd, Apple looks to its supply chain for the parts, which are made mostly in China, Taiwan, Japan, and Vietnam, but also include Thailand, and the US (The processors for instance are made at a Samsung plant in Texas). All the sourced parts are shipped to Foxconn's factories in China for final assembly of the devices.

From there, the devices are shipped around the world.

I'm sure there are many more steps, but that's the short and curly of it.

Thanks! That helps loads! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.