The Processor.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mikethebigo, Sep 11, 2012.

1. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

An article on the front page is reporting that the iPod Touch will use a 32 nm A5 processor, but that the iPhone is expected to have a newer and more powerful processor. Why do people think this?

There have been no leaks for a significantly improved processor, and Apple has a track record of tick-tock updates where processor architecture is changed every two years. The A5x will literally not fit in the phone as it is too large and too power hungry with the 4 graphics cores. The A6 is very unlikely as no manufacturer except Qualcomm has come out with a Cortex A15 based design. And with the iPhone 4S running as smoothly as it is and with its restricted multitasking, I see no reason for a quad core version of the A5, and it wouldn't jive with Apple's desire to streamline product supply lines.

Basically, I have absolutely no reason to expect anything for the processor tomorrow except the A5, on a 32 nm process, possibly clocked up another 200 mhz or so.

Anyone else have a different opinion?

2. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Because a well known developer who has always had reliable insider information posted it today on Twitter.

He wasn't specific, so this could be another variant on the A5 and not an A6. Don't jump to too many conclusions on such vague information.

3. mikethebigo thread starter macrumors 68000

He posted about the iPod Touch processor but did not mention the iPhone processor. I really don't think they'll be different.

4. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

5. mikethebigo thread starter macrumors 68000