The product key you have typed for use has been blocked by microsoft.

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by mdoyle, Aug 24, 2010.

1. mdoyle macrumors member

Hi guys i know this is a mac forum and i do own a mac but this is a quick question about windows installed via bootcamp.

I have a unactivated version of windows 7 installed on my imac i5 and the original product key has been used on another machine after my dad had trouble with his windows vista.

I recently bought from Playtrade (play.coms answer to ebay) a new windows 7

My question is can the product key be used to activate the already unactivated version of windows installed on my mac i've tried looking on microsofts site and its a maze after 30 mins i gave up.
    Or is the reason i'm getting the product key is blocked, due to i'm trying to use it on a windows install not coming from the disc's supplied
    Or is it more likely i've been seen off by the guy who sold it to me and it's been blocked as its been used with multiple pc's already.

code;0xc004c003
    description the activation server determined the specified product key has been blocked.

Many Thanks

I have contacted the seller and they are going to get back to me in a day or 2
    I think i'll ask for my money back

I really don't want to have to uninstall and re-install windows on this mac again.

2. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

Each code should work on every disc! Providing its the same version (Basic, Home Premium, Ultimate etc)

What happens when you put your dads serial number in?! You may be able to get away with running it on 2 machines!

That sounds alot like he has tried to pull a fast one! How much did you pay for the license? Was it massivelly cheaper than normal?

3. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

It sounds like you've been had. It sounds like he was selling a hacked copy.

4. Queso macrumors G4

Sounds like it could be an OEM copy, which means you need to call Microsoft and see whether they'll allow it to activate. Don't be surprised if they turn round and say no though.

5. mdoyle thread starter macrumors member

I've tried the previous product key and it says it cannot be used to activate on this machine.
    I paid £82 for it so looks like i may have been sold a knock off version.

I'll wait and see what the seller says and see what his CS and after sales are like and if i don't get a reasonable solution i'll try a chargeback on my credit card. I'm tempted to do down to pc world and have them verify if the product is genuine.

6. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

7. Queso macrumors G4

+1. Call Microsoft. They'll know within seconds, whereas PC World will probably ignore your question and try and sell you Norton Anti-Virus :D

8. mdoyle thread starter macrumors member

Thanks took the advice and phoned microsoft. The product key is for business users where you have to have a contract with microsoft and cannot be used for home use. So what i've been sold is not a genuine version of windows

Back to the seller for a refund i think (hope)

and some nice call charges to my mobile phone company for a 0844 number.

We do people always have to try and scam and rip others off. we may be the most intelligent animals on the planet but at our core we are just animals.

9. newdeal macrumors 68020

10. Queso macrumors G4

Damn. On the plus side you said you paid with credit card, so chances are you'll get your money back. Best of luck :)

11. mdoyle thread starter macrumors member

Cheers sent a msg to the seller telling him i've tried to proactively resolve the issue with the product key by calling microsoft and they have told me it can't be used with a windows 7 home premium. And have asked to return the item.
    Try the soft,calm,reasonable approach 1st and to get him onside and only play hardball if he refuses to accept return of defective goods without good reason

Lets see what happens

12. alent1234 macrumors 603

if it's blocked then it's probably a bootleg key

last year when Windows 7 first came out a few bootleg corporate keys hit the internet and were blocked by microsoft. the way the corporate keys work is you set up a licensing server with the corporate key and all your servers and PC's hit your server instead of Microsoft's servers to activate. i forgot the company's name, but they got a new key.

MS does the same thing with other keys that are bootlegged and used by a lot of people.

just buy a copy from a legit source. i don't understand why people go to these shady places and then end up with problems

13. mdoyle thread starter macrumors member

I've used play.com for serveral years and never had a problem and the other things i've ordered from playtrade for my ipad have all come through fine. Play.com tend to sell alot of things cheaper than going into the highstreet to buy them. Well pc games music and dvd's away
    Just trying to save myself some money anyway your right about the activation key exactly what MS said it was

14. millertime021 macrumors 6502a

millertime021

Not advocating it or saying you should, but doesn't this seem like the time a product key generator would be justified.
    You paid for it and got screwed so if you can't get your money back, there's nothing to lose ya?

15. mags631 Guest

Just phone into the activation number. They'll ask you how many machines it had been previously installed on. I've always been honest, and they have never denied me. Now, I've never installed an OEM copy more than twice (after switching hardware), so if it's excessive, I imagine they would say no.

16. Baby Mac macrumors regular

Baby Mac

The Windows 7 product IDs are not tied to individual discs. You can copy your Windows install to another computer and verify it with any unused product ID.