Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

B S Magnet

macrumors 601
Original poster
This opened iBook clamshell has turned up today [note to mods: this is not my auction], and it got me to look into at what project Gemini was.

Then I found a short video clip [content note: music] demonstrating the Assistive Touch Technologies Gemini (basically, a clamshell iBook iPad), and it all came back to me.

Years and years ago, I remember reading an article about this aftermarket option and thinking it was a brilliant re-visioning of something which could make outstanding use of the outer shell and handle without it needing to be a traditional laptop. As a dedicated tablet, it pre-dated most of the 2000s Toshiba tablets, many of the Thinkpads with touch screens, and obviously everything Apple did, post-Newton.

In this item, it appears that what Assistive Touch Technologies did was re-route and dedicate the sole USB bus port to function as the touch-capacitive input on a purpose-built LCD with that layer (likely the rearmost layer of the LCD sandwich, as with the Boe-Hydis and Toshiba-Matsushita LCDs). Also, it does appear how not only is the external USB port sealed off, but also the audio-in/composite video port, as I'm guessing inserting something into there may have thrown off the very particular configuration which ATT prepared for their product.

I'm pasting the pics here for posterity, as the only other mention I can find on here of a Gemini was from 2008, also of an auction (for a key lime Gemini, no less!), and there are no pics preserved from that instance. What makes this one worth saving is it offers a rare chance to see how the inner workings were arranged.

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

[This is also instructive for me personally, as I work out the plans on how to re-route the USB to an internal USB 2.0 hub (and then have one of the hub's ports routed back out to the external port, leaving it still-functional while the internal ports can be put to use for nano-sized Bluetooth and 802.11n (WPA2) adapters (as well as an audio-in port).]

Also, it was hard to ignore this listing without the seller throwing shade at a… certain polka-dot schemer in the form of:

upload_2019-3-5_18-47-0.png

They're mostly correct, although there are Rev. C clamshells both with and without that mark.

Last edited:

ScreenSavers

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2016
Bloomingdale, GA
Also, it was hard to ignore this listing without the seller throwing shade at a… certain polka-dot schemer in the form of:

View attachment 824908

They're mostly correct, although there are Rev. C clamshells both with and without that mark.

I actually wrote to him and told him thanks for writing that. I’m so tired of the eBay ads that say “RARE PVT!” Like Apple would sell prototypes...

I’d love to get my hands on one of those Gemini iBooks though.

AshleyPomeroy

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2018
England
As a dedicated tablet, it pre-dated most of the 2000s Toshiba tablets, many of the Thinkpads with touch screens, and obviously everything Apple did, post-Newton.

The very first ThinkPad, released back in 1993, was a tablet. The first convertible laptop-tablet ThinkPad was released back in 1994:
https://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:360P

From what I remember there was a burst of tablet laptops around the time of the Newton circa 1993 or so, either running PenPoint or a version of Windows 3.1 (e.g. the Compaq Concerto), then a second burst in 2002-2003 running Windows XP Tablet Edition (e.g. the HP TC1000), then a third burst in 2007-2008, running XP again. I've always wanted an X61T but not enough to actually pay for one.

I have no idea if they still make convertible laptop tablets. On each occasion they attracted a certain amount of press and then died off because they were a bad idea that didn't work very well. The TC1000 was clever, one of the few that could actually be split into two halves and carried around as a tablet, but on the whole they were bum slops. I used to have a HP TC4400 and it was essentially the worst of both worlds, either a bulky tablet with hot air vents or a laptop with a wobbly screen.

Reactions: B S Magnet

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Last edited:

hrutkaymods

macrumors member
May 7, 2014

Anyone here gonna get it? (MODS: NOT MY AUCTION!!!)
The owner of the Apple Museum of Poland won that auction... I won the auction posted before this one... Not to toot my own horn... but... TOOT TOOT! ;)

bennotvictor

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2020
This was actually my auction! I still have a box of Gemini parts/complete model with an (assumed) dead hard-drive. I know this is an old post but if there’s anything you’d like me specifically to post in-depth/untangled pictures of, I could definitely do that for you. Plus if you would be down to pay for shipping I could probably get some of it out to you as I have no further plans to attempt selling misc. stuff like that. It’s nice to know I was able to bring a little bit of help to you help last year, as well as a little joy with my “shade”. ;)

ScreenSavers

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2016
Bloomingdale, GA
This was actually my auction! I still have a box of Gemini parts/complete model with an (assumed) dead hard-drive. I know this is an old post but if there’s anything you’d like me specifically to post in-depth/untangled pictures of, I could definitely do that for you. Plus if you would be down to pay for shipping I could probably get some of it out to you as I have no further plans to attempt selling misc. stuff like that. It’s nice to know I was able to bring a little bit of help to you help last year, as well as a little joy with my “shade”. ;)

I’m gonna send you a PM.

ScreenSavers

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2016
Bloomingdale, GA

Did you get my message?

hrutkaymods

macrumors member
May 7, 2014
Good to know I’ll send you a PM bud :)

AquaAngel

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2022
This opened iBook clamshell has turned up today [note to mods: this is not my auction], and it got me to look into at what project Gemini was.

Then I found a short video clip [content note: music] demonstrating the Assistive Touch Technologies Gemini (basically, a clamshell iBook iPad), and it all came back to me.

Years and years ago, I remember reading an article about this aftermarket option and thinking it was a brilliant re-visioning of something which could make outstanding use of the outer shell and handle without it needing to be a traditional laptop. As a dedicated tablet, it pre-dated most of the 2000s Toshiba tablets, many of the Thinkpads with touch screens, and obviously everything Apple did, post-Newton.

In this item, it appears that what Assistive Touch Technologies did was re-route and dedicate the sole USB bus port to function as the touch-capacitive input on a purpose-built LCD with that layer (likely the rearmost layer of the LCD sandwich, as with the Boe-Hydis and Toshiba-Matsushita LCDs). Also, it does appear how not only is the external USB port sealed off, but also the audio-in/composite video port, as I'm guessing inserting something into there may have thrown off the very particular configuration which ATT prepared for their product.

I'm pasting the pics here for posterity, as the only other mention I can find on here of a Gemini was from 2008, also of an auction (for a key lime Gemini, no less!), and there are no pics preserved from that instance. What makes this one worth saving is it offers a rare chance to see how the inner workings were arranged.

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

[This is also instructive for me personally, as I work out the plans on how to re-route the USB to an internal USB 2.0 hub (and then have one of the hub's ports routed back out to the external port, leaving it still-functional while the internal ports can be put to use for nano-sized Bluetooth and 802.11n (WPA2) adapters (as well as an audio-in port).]

View attachment 824908

Sorry to revive an old thread, but was wondering if any of you could help me out. i just got the blue iBook Gemini a few days ago and needless to say that the hard drive failed on that little guy. i was able to replace the hard drive for an SSD disk in there with a fresh OS 9.2.1, but of course, the old HDD failure is leaving me in the dark when it comes to the driver for the Assistive touch screen. i was wondering if any of you might have the driver for it? and also if anyone have also a wiring diagram for the addition of the TSharc board. As i am about to replace the the LCD screen on that machine as it suffered of the famous Vinegar syndrome and while it is going to be apart, i might as well fix some of the wiring problem as my top USB port have 5 volts, but when i plug a device on that top USB port, none of the device works, not even the mouse or keyboard.
The one at the original port which is on the mother board works even though it is suppose to be blocked off. My sticker has been removed and that port works. Not sure what the previous owner has done to it, but i intend to restore this little guy.

Thank you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.