The PRSI Constitution

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by citizenzen, Sep 22, 2010.

1. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'd like to try something in this little madhouse we call PRSI.

I'd like to consider this thread a constitutional convention and you are all founding fathers and mothers of it.

What rights would you include? How would you separate the powers of government? Could a rag-tag group of misfits ever come to agree on a document of such magnitude? I doubt it... but let's give it a try.

First question: structure of our new government.

Do we need a president, legislative bodies and/or courts? This is the age of the internet, maybe we could just let the people vote. If you had the opportunity to form a new government, what would you do?

2. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

A new government for what? The United States of America? The United Federation of Planets? Before I dive into this (assuming I do) I want to know what land we are making a supreme law for. Are we assuming the current makeup of the U.S. (fifty states, each with their own constitution, executive, legislature and courts), the original thirteen colonies (which I'd rather not do, as the issues and problems of two-and-a-quarter-centuries ago are not terribly relevant today. Fer crying out loud, these guys didn't even have toilet paper!) or something completely different?

Context is key, don't ya know...

3. Shivetya macrumors 65816

Only Citizens should be allowed to vote!, you must serve to become a Citizen :p Service guarantees Citizenship!

Would you like to know more?

4. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Really would not agree to a written constitution unless the drafters are psychic.

1. US structure is pretty good though otherwise, better than the UKs imo.

Implementation is a bit poor - you have politicians to nominate your judges at the highest level is that right? What sort of nonsense is that. That would have to go too I reckon.

You have a lot of stalling procedures when it comes to bills/legislation. Need to get rid of a lot of that.

I propose testing for presidential candidates. Psychometric and scenario testing to see if they are likely to choose war over extended diplomacy, stuff like that.

Maybe change the court system away from the adversarial system or chop in elements from the inquisitorial style.

^^ A mess of random ideas, good luck on structuring the thread :D

5. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

I just virtually conquered all of you. I am now your president.

6. djellison macrumors 68020

Are you being ironic?

7. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

No, he's quoting Starship Troopers

8. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

I missed it at first, but now I'm grinning like a lunatic and have new plans for tonight!

[​IMG]

Shoot a nuke down a bug hole, you got a lot of dead bugs

:D

9. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

No, first article of principle: Be excellent to each other.

10. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

And furthermore, don't act like a twunt.

Simple principles but ones we should all endeavour to live by.

11. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

It's an interesting question. But I'm what I'm trying to find out here are what principles can we agree on. Would it matter to our Founders if the original 13 colonies were only 9 colonies or 6 or 3? Were much bigger or smaller? I know that some of questions would change the details of the constitution, but I don't think they would have changed the core principles the Founders were trying to base a government on.

Perhaps the government's structure is too complex an issue and one that requires an understanding of place, population, geography and resources. We could always just jump to a Bill of Rights and leave the details of government to future generations. :D

I never was much of a detail guy.

Electrodes to the gonads?

Now there's something we need in the constitution!

12. Shivetya macrumors 65816

I am glad someone caught on to the reference I made, but honestly too many people do just take and never give back. I did four years of service, did me incredible good because before then I was a do nothing did not care and just meandered along on the hopes that others would help pick up the slack.

Our current Constitution is fine, its the mentality of people that is wrong. My basic belief is, do want you as long as it does not affect others. This means everything from smoking pot in your own home, drinking yourself under the couch, getting married and raising kids, not being married raising kids, no having kids, whatever. Just don't make decisions that force others to react, to have to take care of you.

Yes there is a minimum amount we all must contribute to a functional society, however too many have decided not to contribute but instead live off of others. When they found out they could vote people in to make it happen they did. Now that so many have it they are the least likely to give up on that golden goose.