The purity purge continues: Kevin Hart no longer hosting the Oscars

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by FrankieTDouglas, Dec 10, 2018.

1. FrankieTDouglas, Dec 10, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2018

FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/07/entertainment/kevin-hart-oscars-step-down/index.html

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

3. SquireSCA Suspended

SquireSCA

His tweets were not homophobic, they were jokes. He's a comedian.

Comedy sometimes offends, or provokes people, as it should.

Show me a joke that doesn't offend anyone and I will show you a room full of people that aren't laughing.

The most anyone can say is that he was politically incorrect, or insensitive... That's not a crime.

4. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Well yeah. Liberals stoning "sinful" vulgar and flawed liberals.

Pretty soon, the only pure flawless "role model" spokesperson they'll have is…. Church Lady!

5. tkermit macrumors 68040

tkermit

Would you mind explaining the joke? I'm not sure I get it.

6. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

What I find amazing is that organizations like the people running the Academy Awards are not smart enough to vet these things before making a selection.

7. SquireSCA Suspended

SquireSCA

Do you really think he is going to break his doll house over his kid's head? Really?

Lighten up. It is appalling how we have people literally scouring the net, pouring through historical posts, looking for things to be offended about.

It's absurd.

Take an absolute classic like "Blazing Saddles".

There is no way that movie could ever be made today. No chance.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 10, 2018 ---
    Yes, by all means, they need to know everything a person has ever said in order to make sure that they are PC enough...

8. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

the comments are years old, not made yesterday and the man had apologized years ago as well.

9. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

It has nothing to do with whether his comments were PC. It has to do with understanding what the reaction would be when they become public.

As for Hart, he screwed up. If he had expressed some real contrition and talked about how he now understands how his earlier comments were wrong and explained that his attitudes toward these issues have changed, along with most people's, this probably would have blown over. But, he took a far more defiant tone and refused to apologize until it was too late.

10. tkermit macrumors 68040

tkermit

What am I supposed to be laughing at though? Is the joke supposed to be that playing with doll houses is gay, or is there another level to it?

11. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

he did,,,,,,,,, YEARS ago, he did not feel he should continue to apologize when he had done so years ago , as far a too late HE was the one who stepped down from the gig.

12. SquireSCA Suspended

SquireSCA

Who cares? He's a comedian. This is all so stupid...

God forbid someone is OFFENDED... Put on your big boy pants and toughen up. Sometimes people say things you don't like. Boo hoo.

13. upandown macrumors 6502a

14. SquireSCA Suspended

SquireSCA

Exactly. Comedians push buttons, they make jokes, they challenge people by poking fun at things and being funny.

At least they used to. Seinfeld, who was one of the "cleanest and safest" comedians in the past 20 years, won't even do universities any more, because even he can't find a way to work in such a toxic, looking to be offended, politically correct crowd.

15. FrankieTDouglas thread starter macrumors 65816

Relevant Bill Burr bit, particularly starting at 1:07

16. SquireSCA Suspended

SquireSCA

Look at all the greats in comedy... everyone from WC Fields, to Groucho, to Carlin, Pryor, Murphy, Lenny Bruce, Kinnisen...etc... None of them could work today.

People would demand that they be silenced for offending people.

If your joke isn't offending someone, you are doing it wrong.
    He's my current favorite comedian...

17. bbednarz macrumors 65816

bbednarz

Its always amazing to me the lengths people go to find something to be offended by.

18. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

That's not actually what he said.

What Seinfeld said was "I hear that all the time," Seinfeld said. "I don't play colleges, but I hear a lot of people tell me don't go near colleges — they're so PC (politically correct)."

Now, Chris Rock said that he won't go to colleges because "they’re way too conservative."

But, notice that Rock also argued that the wide adoption of cellphones means that a new act immediately gets out, and it's hard for comedians to practice an act in front of a wide audience because a joke that "goes too far" can't be dialed back.

This isn't just a college problem.

The Academy screwed this up, Hart could have saved himself, and yes, I think people are going too far in looking for purity. But, I also don't trust the conservative interest in this.

Conservatives keep attacking PC culture, not because they care about speech or comedy—wait till Hart says something bad about the troops or that God is a sexual predator—but because they want to reset our culture back to some magical era when men where men, and women were in the kitchen, and calling a black man "boy" was just a term of endearment.

19. SquireSCA Suspended

SquireSCA

Because today, being a victim is a means of empowerment.

If you elevate yourself to some sort of victim status, you get more protections, you get more rights, more attention, etc...

Being offended often gives you the power to silence or suppress others, harass them, take away their job, etc...

You don't even have to show that the offender did anything wrong...its completely subjective... if you say you were offended, that's all that is needed. You are automatically right, and they are wrong, and now you can censor them, shame them, go after them, etc...

Because you didn't like what they said... It happens literally every day, all across the country, and elsewhere I would imagine...
    When Chris Rock said "Conservative" he meant in the classical "uptight" sense, not the political sense... Let's be clear here.

Very few campuses are politically conservative today. Just wanted to make that distinction.
    Complete rubbish. More rhetoric that has no basis in reality...

Look what happens when a black man or a gay man "comes out" as a Conservative. The Right embraces him, and the Left denounces him as "their boy that doesn't know his place"...

20. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

guess Obama is conservative then
    https://www.vox.com/2015/9/14/9326965/obama-political-correctness

21. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

What Hart said was offensive. He has every right to say that sort of stuff. I'm certainly not arguing that he shouldn't have that right, but he has no right to host the Academy Awards . This isn't PC run amok. It's one comedian and the motion picture academy totally screwing up how they handled a situation that could have been managed.

22. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

Bear in mind the Oscar committee asked him to put an apology out there and they were going to work from there. He refused, they exercised their right not to go with him.

When it got out what did he do?

He apologized, then explained himself.

If he did that from the get go, this thread would not be here.

23. bbednarz macrumors 65816

bbednarz

I dont think you actually read the Chris Rock comment......

"Well, I love Bill, but I stopped playing colleges, and the reason is because they’re way too conservative.

In their political views?

Not in their political views — not like they’re voting Republican — but in their social views and their willingness not to offend anybody. Kids raised on a culture of “We’re not going to keep score in the game because we don’t want anybody to lose.” Or just ignoring race to a fault. You can’t say “the black kid over there.” No, it’s “the guy with the red shoes.” You can’t even be offensive on your way to being inoffensive."

That sounds much much more liberal than conservative... So I am not really sure why he said conservative.

24. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

1 and he had apologized for it
    2 the man stepped down, he was not forced out.
    3 yes it is.
    4 no, it all on the academy .
    no they did no, again Hart stepped down all on his own.

25. SquireSCA Suspended

SquireSCA

Its not one comedian... This is a daily occurrence, stuff like this...