The Queen of the skies has officially been dethroned

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Wow! That is a huge plane! It's good that they are starting to get more efficient planes (from what I hear the Airbus is more efficient, holding more people and using the same amount, or less fuel than a 747), that hold more people, to be able to take people around in less repeat trips. That is truly a huge plane! :eek:

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
It certainly looks hugh from the pictures. This airbus will be giving some competition to Boeing. At this time of high fuel prices and low air faire this type of plane should be a boost to the airline industry.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
I saw something on TV about how they made this plane, and it was really quite cool —

Once the fueselage is done in one place in France, they have to move it to the plant where they build and attach the wings. They do this convoy in the middle of the night, it's a 4 hour drive, and they pass through this tiny French village, in which there is less than 6 inches clearance between the plane and the houses on both the left and right. It was a pretty incredible show, because they videotaped the entire process...I have no clue what channel it was on or when though. :( I'll research finding it. :)

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
they had shows about the plane multiple times on german tv already

the toilette + freshwater system alone is impressive...not even talking about the air condition system

they built a modell of the water system out of clear plastic for testing and tweaking the system (and of course they developed a substance for simulating you-know-what)

truly amazing

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
OutThere761 said:
I saw something on TV about how they made this plane, and it was really quite cool —

Once the fueselage is done in one place in France, they have to move it to the plant where they build and attach the wings. They do this convoy in the middle of the night, it's a 4 hour drive, and they pass through this tiny French village, in which there is less than 6 inches clearance between the plane and the houses on both the left and right. It was a pretty incredible show, because they videotaped the entire process...I have no clue what channel it was on or when though. :( I'll research finding it. :)
Not only that, but if it's the same process as with other Airbus planes, the wings are made in the UK and shipped over to Toulouse...

whocares

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
:noitаɔo˩
skunk said:
Not only that, but if it's the same process as with other Airbus planes, the wings are made in the UK and shipped over to Toulouse...

I think the engines are made in the UK (Rolls Royce), and the wings and fuselage made in Germany + another country. Everything is then shipped to Toulouse for final assembly. The rebuilt the entire road from near Bordeaux to Toulouse just for this plane. :eek:

Oh, and Airbus has been giving quite a bit of a competition to Boeing for some time now. ;)

Edit: and IMHO is a real fugly airplane.

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
whocares said:
I stand corrected on the wings then. :cool:

However, I know for a fact that wings, fuselage and engine arn't made in France.
As a matter of fact, the fuselage is made in Hamburg, Germany, the wings in Broughton, Wales, and the tailplane in Spain. The cockpit and final assembly is done in France, and so far all the engines ordered are Rolls Royce/Volvo Trent 900s, made in England.

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
I'm waiting for the one with a glass-bottomed swimming pool: can you imagine that? Swimming in a clear pool with 60,000 feet of sky below? :D

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
skunk said:
I'm waiting for the one with a glass-bottomed swimming pool: can you imagine that? Swimming in a clear pool with 60,000 feet of sky below? :D
Well, to avoid issues with sloshing and weight-shifting, it'd be best if it was a sealed scuba tank.

So imagine floating submerged in water, 10 miles above the ground. Now that would be cool!

EGT

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 4, 2003
jsw said:
Well, to avoid issues with sloshing and weight-shifting, it'd be best if it was a sealed scuba tank.

So imagine floating submerged in water, 10 miles above the ground. Now that would be cool!
And then do it whilst drunk ...

Here has all the A380 pics from that site. There are some interesting construction pictures.

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
This plane will either make or break Airbus. I think it'll make it just as the 747 did for Boeing. I simply can't imagine the logistics for getting such a plane off the ground much less with as many passengers as it will hold.

Isn't it due for it's maiden test flight soon?

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Dr. Dastardly said:
WOW! It even has its own duty free shop! :eek:
I, and I think many others would agree with me, think that it would be much nicer if they eliminated the duty free shop, and evenly divvied up the extra free space by adding leg room for each person. I am 5 feet 11 inches tall, and at-weight for my height, and I feel that airplanes now are exceedingly uncomfortable. More legroom would be beautiful. *ahhhh* :)

absolut_mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2003
Dallas, Texas
EGT said:
Hmm, I don't know about you guys, but I wouldn't feel comfortable flying in any Airbus until I hear a really good reason why the tail just fell off that Airbus plane over New York shortly after 9-11. 265 people died in that accident.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/horizon/2003/flight587trans.shtml