The racists are out in Virginia

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Disgusting. But the only thing you can do is make fun of these douchebags and not give them the satisfaction of taking them seriously.

https://twitter.com/andybcampbell/status/896353431597797377
    [​IMG]

https://twitter.com/aletweetsnews/status/896189794778218496
    [​IMG] Alejandro Alvarez (@aletweetsnews)
    8/11/17, 9:01 PM
    #Charlottesville 9:56pm CHANTS: "One people, one nation, end immigration" & "blood and soil"

https://twitter.com/sonnybunch/status/896373817072914432
    [​IMG] Sonny Bunch (@SonnyBunch)
    8/12/17, 9:12 AM
    tfw u want to be a dbag but u do not want to be a dbag with a mosquito bite

[​IMG]

2. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

wait this can't be real there are no more racists I heard it here by some white dude so it must be true.

3. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

If anyone is wondering why this is happening in Charlottesville, it's because the town's city council voted to remove the bronze statue of Confederate General Robert E. Lee at Emancipation Park, which had recently been renamed from Lee Park. The statue removal was one of several steps Charlottesville was taking to reduce its Confederate monuments. The removal is on hold pending litigation. The same park was the site of a May demonstration in which a group carried torches led by white nationalist Richard Spencer around the Lee statue to protest its removal. In July, a Ku Klux Klan rally in Charlottesville drew about 50 Klan members and supporters who gathered around a statue of Confederate Lt. General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson.

Thus, Charlottesville became an ideal protest site for white nationalists although the citizens of the town tend to generally "lean to the left" (80% of the town's voters voted for Hillary Clinton last year.) Charlottesville, home of Thomas Jefferson and the University of Virginia, was once named America's happiest city in 2014 by the National Bureau of Economic Research. Thomas Jefferson, 3rd president and principal author of the Declaration of Independence, established his home (Monticello) in Charlottesville in 1769 and founded the University of Virginia in 1819.

On the other hand, Jefferson did have his shortcoming: he was a slave owner and Monticello was a slave plantation, etc., and the author of the "all men are created equal" concept and the "self-evident truths" outlined in the Declaration is himself usually viewed today as being "flawed," although his words have held up as a concept to strive for. To quote Martin Luther King Jr. : "It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream. I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: - 'We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal.'"

4. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

I bet you won't hear two peeps from Trump. Or perhaps some stupid childish response.

5. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I grew up in Virginia and my family lives there. Virginia is for lovers, not dumb-a$$ bigots.

6. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Oh the irony in a group of white men (no women spotted, I guess they're at home tending the farm, baking corn pone) chanting "No to immigration"…

Seems going to live in someone else's land is just dandy and A-OK — as long as you have all the bullets.

Not a lot of brains around there.

7. bopajuice, Aug 12, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017

bopajuice macrumors 6502a

bopajuice

I respect freedom of speech but still question why people have the attitudes they do.

Since my post my question was answered. I stand corrected.

8. ThisBougieLife macrumors 65816

ThisBougieLife

^Yep, not surprised at the violence. That was more or less inevitable. The governor has declared a state of emergency. Hope this calms down soon.

9. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Hate to burst the bubble you've viewing this event from, but these white nationalists and right-wing activists aren't locals. As various media sources have been reporting these right-wing extremists have come to Charlotteville from across the country after being "recruited" and otherwise encouraged to attend the gather by various groups.

10. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

The developed world where certain racist morons celebrate freedom by worshipping a man who wanted to take it away from them lol. Where do these tards come from?

11. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

?
    What bubble?

12. localoid, Aug 12, 2017

localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Where do they come from? Well, to cite one example: Virginia candidate for governor, Republican Corey Stewart, who just happens to be the former Virginia Chair for Donald Trump's presidential campaign, came to Charlottesville in February of this year to speak at at rally in support of keeping the Robert E. Lee statue in place, flanked by supporters waving Confederate flags. Stewart is a resident of the Virginia suburbs of D.C.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 12, 2017 ---
    What bubble? Why, the bubble you were dwelling in when you wrote your stereotypical diatribe about "tending the farm, baking corn pon," or course.

13. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Ah. Thanks. All clear now.

14. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

the part I love the most is that these people think they are at the top of the gene pool. when really they are swimming in a pool that has been vacated for years and has turned into a swamp.

15. udontno macrumors regular

udontno

I live extremely close to Charlottesville. 45 minutes from Charlottesville and 30 minutes from Harrisonburg, which is where James Madison University is located. I am nestled between these two college towns.

I am very glad I am on vacation and about 7 hours away until tomorrow.

16. udontno macrumors regular

udontno

17. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Glad to see Trump is actually addressing this issue (I'm a little surprised).

President Donald Trump tweeted: "We ALL must be united & condemn all that hate stands for. There is no place for this kind of violence in America. Lets come together as one!"

Hopefully the authorities will wrap this s*** show quickly.

18. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...y-california-turns-violent-counter-protesters
    Would not surprise me if some had flown in from CA. Socal holds some KKK demonstrations

19. WarHeadz, Aug 12, 2017

WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

I wonder when we're going to hear from the Divider in Chief....

EDIT: He commented on it, but failed to address "white terrorism" by name. What a coward. :p

20. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

21. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

This is sad, Charlottesville is such a great small city and some idiots are smearing it’s reputation.

22. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Trump says don't start violence another thing he can't do himself

23. bopajuice macrumors 6502a

bopajuice