The ranking of the most important steps in iPhone history.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wickerman1893, Jun 18, 2010.

1. wickerman1893 macrumors 6502

wickerman1893

So now that we have seen 4 iPhones since 2007, I thought it would be cool to rank the iPhones in order of how the iPhone changed the phone industry and the world.

1. iPhone 3G ( App store changed smartphones forever, Introduced 3G, new features )

2. iPhone ( First ever, revolutionary, looked damn good compared to other phones in 2007 )

3. iPhone 4 ( All new design, Best iPhone to date? )

4. iPhone 3Gs ( 2x Faster, same design, Video recording )

Whats your rankings?

2. ItsThatKush macrumors regular

how can we rank the iPhone 4 if none of us have ever even touched one?

3. darngooddesign macrumors G3

4. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

5. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I think you need to differentiate between the hardware and the software. The 3G was actually a tiny upgrade; it was iPhone OS 2.0 that was revolutionary.

1. iPhone OS 2.0
    2. iOS 4.0
    3. iPhone OS
    4. iPhone OS 3.0

1. iPhone
    2. iPhone 4
    3. iPhone 3GS
    4. iPhone 3G

If you want to rank them together:

1. iPhone
    2. iPhone OS 2.0
    3. iPhone 4
    4. iOS 4.0
    5. iPhone 3GS
    6. iPhone 3G
    7. iPhone OS 3.0
    8. iPhone OS

6. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

7. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

I would put the 3g first, not only because of the app store, but because of the $199 price point that really allowed it to become mainstream. After that would be the original followed by the 3gs. As for 4, we won't know how important the new features are until later and look back. 4 is obviously the best iPhone to date though, it should be if it's the latest iteration.

8. Fredyt911 macrumors newbie

Agree with this.

9. Savor Suspended

Savor

I think based off hardware, iPhone 4 is easily the best. All the features I wanted is now in this phone. It was the iPhone I dreamed about three years ago and it finally came true. But so far, none of us have really tested it for months to know if it is buggy or not. It also the most scratch resistant of any of the iterations. No chrome bezel. No plastic backing. But from a software standpoint, it may never match the first iPhone or the iOS 2.0 that allowed the App Store. More of the same. I won't get a completely new revolutionary experience like what I felt in 2007 and 2008. The UI has hardly changed since I experienced jailbreaking prior to 2.0 already when so many apps were still free. The hardware, features, and design is where it got improved and refined.

I'm predicting the iPhone 4 will go down as one of our all-time favorite iPhones. Perfection refined, inside and out. First off, I love the number "4" because my birthday falls on that number. One of my lucky numbers. No 4G or 4GS. Just call it iPhone 4. More simple. "The iPhone 4 Life." Second, I really need a new phone as my current one is crapping out on me after two years with the battery. I can now get 40 hours of music and half a day of talk time on 2G instead of the 3-4 hours from my Nokia N82 back then. I was perfectly eligible for an upgrade this year, and the iPhone 4 is now becoming a life saver. My old phone just isn't dependable when it comes to battery and the UI just sucks.

Next year, we could be dealing with very minimal upgrades. Maybe a bump in MP for the camera which is something I don't really need. Taking pix at higher the MP just takes up more space. They will boost in GB as usual. Perhaps come in different colors since this 4 version offers the first all white iPhone. Adding Xenon flash is just impossible for it to make a phone thin like that. Bigger screens and a 4G network could kill battery. They could even cheapen the look and quality of the materials like they did with the 3G and 3GS after the aluminum back of the original. And look at the design of the 3rd gen iPod (classic) and the "fatty" iPod nano. Unique. I hate if Apple goes back to the scratch prone chrome and curved "plastic" back. Finding the right balance of features, design and hardware without sacrificing battery is a tricky thing to do. They could also have the CPU underclocked to conserve battery before increasing speeds again in the next two years where the battery life takes a hit.

Looking at pattern, I expect the next biggest leap happens by 2013. This iPhone 4 can still hold its own by then even as a backup phone. There is just something perfectly balanced and refined about the iPhone 4 that when they try to revise the iPhone next year, it may not really be all that better. This one feels special. Like certain Air Jordans that stood the test of time or the original 60 GB PS3 or fatty PSP before Sony cheapened out. The iPhone 4 feels special and enduring. I'll probably still feel content using this one even after my two-year AT&T contract is up.

10. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

based on hardware:
    4>Original>3GS>3G

based on software:
    iPhone OS 2>iOS 4>iPhone OS 3>Original

11. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

I think some of us are missing the point here.

Is it Most Important? or Best?

The most important step, without a doubt, was the creation of the iPhone! From there... the rest is gravy. ;)

12. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

Exactly

13. VivaV macrumors member

2g>4>3g>3gs

Before the 2g I used a Treo 600 without dataplan. I liked the touchscreen, but mainly I used it because it was the only phone that I could get to sync with Address Book and iCal. And even then it was a huge hassle.

2g was just magical in terms of syncing with macs and the integration of information on the phone. And the web brower was amazing compared to what was out there it the time.

I haven't felt the need to upgrade until now with the iphone 4. Facetime is what is making the difference for me. Although I have been using my husband's 3g for maps/internet connection if I have had the choice.

But I do see Fernandez21's point about the $199 price point for the 3g bringing the iphone to the mainstream....