Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2003
I got my 6 Plus and I've been trying it out. Still deciding if I'm going to keep it. Most people I think are talking about the size, but oddly enough after using it, I don't find the size to be as much of a problem as I thought at all. You can actually use it one handed more than you think. But of course not al the time.

The bit I'm disappointed in really, and I know this is premature and time will take care of some of it, is that the apps aren't at all optimized to take advantage of the screen (and I'm not talking about graphics quality). Its just a bigger iPhone when it has the potential to be so much more. Sometimes the type is so large in apps that I feel like and old man that can't read. I remember one reviewer mentioning this, and they were right. You can't blame third party apps for this, because they haven't had the time yet. But you can blame Apple for their apps and OS not taking full advantage.

This is really a screen for which, I think at least, it needs its own new iOS design/layout to really realize it's potential. A third screen to design for (iPhone 6/ iPhone 6 Plus / iPad family). Remember in the keynote, when Tim was talking about the Apple Watch. He said "What we didn't do is just take the iPhone and shrink it down..." Well that's exactly what they did here. And that's the problem. They just enlarged the iPhone, and I'm not sure it works. I mean the Phone app, when your in the dial screen there is just so much, empty, unused space, it looks odd and superfluous. And really the menu bars, should be at the bottom and not a the top of the screen for this device.

Last edited:

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
Remember when Steve Jobs used to make fun of android devices saying the apps were just blown up phone applications? :D

Kind of feels the same way for the 6+ compared to their blown up iPhone 4/5 sized apps.

D1G1T4L

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Remember when Steve Jobs used to make fun of android devices saying the apps were just blown up phone applications? :D

Kind of feels the same way for the 6+ compared to their blown up iPhone 4/5 sized apps.

I also remember us not having Apps on the iPhone. Amazing how things change.

Shasta McNasty

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2010
Southern Cali
Just gotta be patient. Remember when the 5 came out? Took developers a couple weeks to months before it was ready. Obviously we all want it right now, but we gotta give them time.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2003
Just gotta be patient. Remember when the 5 came out? Took developers a couple weeks to months before it was ready. Obviously we all want it right now, but we gotta give them time.

Yea I hear you, and I think developers will do wonders with it. I guess what I'm getting at is it's not going to be as great as it can because part of the problem is the OS needs to optimized of this phone, and I don't think Apple is going to do it without a fight.

airlied

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2011
Yes just pay some attention. Remember when you got retina MacBook pro? This was a pain since Mac apps are slower on development and sometimes we have to wait 6 months before getting the retina versions of the app.

vigilant

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Nashville, TN
The issues listed have far more to do with the fact most apps aren't optimized for it then the phone itself.

One thing I'd recommend, is looking at the apps you use. If the apps you use aren't actively developed then it won't get better any time soon.

There are small holes in the apps I personally use that aren't optimozed for the screen but the gap closes a bit more every couple days. Right now I'm basically down to Facebook, and Omnifocus.

If the scaling bothers you one thing to take into consideration is the iPhone 6 will be a bit behind on proper use of the screen real estate as well.

stephen1108

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2007
Don't iPhone 6 users have the same problem though? It's not only limited to the 6 Plus.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
But this really is not a problem with the *phone*, it's a problem with third-party software (and a few of Apple's more obscure apps like the WWDC app), and it's only temporary. So returning the phone for that reason is kind of ridiculous unless you are just super-impatient.

Consider this. There are 1.3 million apps on the App Store. If only even one percent of those apps are being updated for iOS8 & iPhone 6/6+, that's 13,000 apps that need to be reviewed in a short period of time. That's not including the time it takes for devs to make the changes, test, and submit. And it's not including the constant stream of new apps either, of which there are thousands every week.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
Don't iPhone 6 users have the same problem though? It's not only limited to the 6 Plus.

Not exactly.

The Plus has a specific problem that it's running at 3x retina. Every other device Apple offers is running 2x retina. Images need to be updated for the new resolution and this will take designers a lot of time. So even once the layout of the app is fixed for the plus, it will still take a long time for all images to not appear blurred.

stephen1108

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2007
Not exactly.

The Plus has a specific problem that it's running at 3x retina. Every other device Apple offers is running 2x retina. Images need to be updated for the new resolution and this will take designers a lot of time. So even once the layout of the app is fixed for the plus, it will still take a long time for all images to not appear blurred.

Interesting. So the iPhone 6 devices DO display blurry apps, but only to fit to the size of the screen? However once optimized, they can still use the same images, unlike the iPhone 6 Plus, which has to have 3x images created for it.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
Interesting. So the iPhone 6 devices DO display blurry apps, but only to fit to the size of the screen? However once optimized, they can still use the same images, unlike the iPhone 6 Plus, which has to have 3x images created for it.

Yup, exactly. It won't look as bad as the difference between retina and non-retina images, but there will still be noticeable blurring of images until they're updated.

MinEderPlayz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2013
Hamburg, Germany

He was referring to tablets, and 'he' was Phil Schiller, and it was at the iPad mini keynote 2012. :p

Pagandeva2000

macrumors member
May 3, 2013

I feel the same way. It seems that between the iOS 8 and larger screens, the developers have to catch up. I've even noticed that the screens of may apps look sort of grainy with my iPad mini 2 with Retina. Some apps didn't work on my Plus at all, other developers already updated twice to accommodate these changes. That tells me to wait it out. I LOVE you my plus. I'm willing to wait it out.

Skoal

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2009
The Real Bummer Part of the 6 Plus isn't the size

When I first got my 6 the keyboard and most apps were larger as stated "like I'm an old man" but ever since ios8.2 everything looks great.

Love this phone!

The "I want it now" generation that has the attention span of a gnat can't wait the few weeks it will take.

You're absolutely right though and I was pleasantly surprised at the time that the apps for the 5 were optimized in a relatively short period of time.

r-m

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2010
Not exactly.

I'm getting myself confused with this... previously, images were 320 points (320 or 640 pixels at 2x) wide to fill the width of the screen.
Now, 320 points (320 pixels or 640 pixels at 2x) wide image would have a 55 point (or 110 pixels) gap when displayed native on the 6, because the 6 is 375 points (750 pixels) wide?
Meaning when the image is set to fill the width of the screen of the 6, it would appear slightly stretched?
Or should the 2x image now be created at 375 points/750 pixels, which will get shrunk down slightly on the 4/4S/5/5S/5C?

When I first got my 6 the keyboard and most apps were larger as stated "like I'm an old man" but ever since ios8.2 everything looks great.

Love this phone!

Sorry, I hate to nit-pick, but that typo/mistake can lead to confusion. It's 8.0.2 that's out, not 8.2

Bazilemac

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
I'm getting myself confused with this... previously, images were 320 points (320 or 640 pixels at 2x) wide to fill the width of the screen.
Now, 320 points (320 pixels or 640 pixels at 2x) wide image would have a 55 point (or 110 pixels) gap when displayed native on the 6, because the 6 is 375 points (750 pixels) wide?
Meaning when the image is set to fill the width of the screen of the 6, it would appear slightly stretched?
Or should the 2x image now be created at 375 points/750 pixels, which will get shrunk down slightly on the 4/4S/5/5S/5C?

Sorry, I hate to nit-pick, but that typo/mistake can lead to confusion. It's 8.0.2 that's out, not 8.2

Lol

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
It does take time, but hopefully most apps should be optimised in a month or two.

An update to iFont, an app I have on the App Store at the moment, is almost ready to be submitted with optimisation for the 6/6+ - although no landscape support at this time - hopefully that will come later. It should fix the 'old man status bar'!

sheldomacrumors

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2014
United Kingdom

We do, it is an annoyance and in my experience is the only negative I can think of.

----------

Geez the phone has been out for a few weeks. App devs I'm sure are working on it, but it's not an overnight process.

If done correctly it can be, the only limit is the one set by the individuals involved in the whole process.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.