The Real Consequences of the Debates

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

BJ's Restaurants Inc. are blaming the presidential debates for hurting sales. They claimed that the debates distracted people and a contentious election is leading people not to go out to eat or spend money.

You read everywhere about how this election is psychologically hurting people. This is the first time I read where it's claimed that this election is economically hurting the country.

Do you believe that they are correct and that the contentious election is hurting the economy ?

2. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I think I read somewhere long ago that people withhold spending before an election due to uncertainty. Much like a stock market doesn't like uncertainty. Completely irrational of course. But no one ever said humans are the most rational creatures.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Sounds like a CEO looking to blame anyone and anything for his chain's poor performance. Have other restaurant chains reported weak sales? Also, never heard of BJs. The restaurant.

4. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 604

Plutonius

I took it the same way.

5. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Considering my favorite bar was chock-and-block with people getting roaring drunk, I dare say that the CEO for BJ's Restaurant and Brewhouse is covering for the company's problems.

Needed that qualifier. Otherwise, I was going to write "You poor bastard."

6. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Wow..you never heard of BJs? I thought they were all over. It's kind of like a TGI Fridays. Or a Yard House. They are usually quite busy. I have never understood why as BJ's food is rather lackluster and it's so loud in there that you can't have a decent conversation. Never have seen the attraction. The only thing I really like there are the pizookies.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Never heard of Yard House either. Neither are on Long Island.

8. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Honestly the fragment of the first debate I watched did spoil my appetite.

9. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

No, because the economy wasn't utopia until seconds before the first debate began and immediately took off the next morning.

10. mellofello macrumors 65816

I for one went right out and got hammered after watching that **** show.

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Silly boy. Everyone knows you drink before and during the debates.

12. Khalanad75 macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

The one here in town always has a wait time of 30-45 minutes with people waiting outside, even in the rain. It's crazy. I love their baked potatoes and their buffalo chicken pizza.

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Probably realized when Hillary takes her throne they won't be able to afford to eat out and decided to start getting used to it early.

14. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Why do you say things like this? How is that even close to being realistic? Is that what has happened to Canada with it's liberal policies? Does no one there ever go out to eat?

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Canada isn't as disfunctional as the US. Hillary is going to crush these people by putting them out of work and spending the nations money on foreign wars instead of training/education.

16. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Nonsense. She wants to spend money on trade school retraining for jobs that no longer exist. She wants to become the world leader on new green energy, not let Germany or some other country have that privilege. She, like Trump wants to put people on infastructure projects. She doesn't want to put people out of work. No politician wants to do that. That wouldn't even make sense.

17. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The only thing she will do is create wasteful government programs that are overarchitected and pay off her special interests, meanwhile destroying the middle class as she continues to ship jobs overseas.

Hillary talking about taking on Wall Street and big money while they fund her campaign is laughable.

18. mellofello macrumors 65816

I'm sure Trump would be a real champion of the working man.

I don't see how anyone could be so blind to his record. There are COUNTLESS instances of him ruining the lives, and straight up stealing from those unfortunate enough to be in his employ or do business with him.