The real Huckabee

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by solvs, Dec 9, 2007.

1. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Seems with Huckabee becoming a contender now, he's under more scrutiny. Which isn't exactly working out for him. Besides his flubbing when asked about the Iran NIE (for those who don't know, he claimed he hadn't heard anything about it after the story had been out for quite awhile - Bush even already had given his speech about it), then when trying to cover made things even worse for himself, saying gay marriage would end civilization, that AIDs patients should be quarantined, his sudden reversal in wanting illegal immigrants to pack up and leave immediately (the main problem being how unpractical it is), and I'm sure I'm missing a few, comes this story about how he helped let a rapist go, only for him to rape again, and worse, to kill, for political reasons:

Documents Expose Huckabee's Role In Serial Rapist's Release

It gets worse:

Former Aide Contradicts Huckabee Defense Of Rapist's Release
    Huckabee Tries to Shoot the Messenger, But Wounds His Campaign Instead
    How Anti-Clinton Zealots Pushed Huckabee To Let A Rapist Free

Odd, considering his recent mention of how much he supports being tough on crime and supporting the death penalty.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Yeah, but he's a:

CHRISTIAN
    LEADER

As if that's even relevant to running a country or even managing anything apart from a Sunday School group effectively.

Been reading about the Iowa caucuses last night, and how it all works, and to give that convoluted process and that particular electorate so much political influence seems profoundly undemocratic, to me at least.

3. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

How do you think we feel? At least you don't have to live here. :p I've made that point as well, that it should all be done at the same time, but that's the way it is for some reason.

But the GOP is hurting right now, their support from moderates has, shall we say, wavered. Might just be the pro-business and religious right left. If they think he's their guy, more power to them. He'll be slaughtered nationally. Stories like this will just hurt all the more, while he's too busy preaching to the converted to make a dent.

But then, with this country, you never know and he could win in the same "landslide" that put Bush into office. :eek:

4. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

Nobody wants to defend the Huck?

Kinda surprised.

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

How the hell could you actually defend any of that?

Lets just hope he doesn't even make it past the primaries. Out of all the republican frontrunners, he's the one that scares me the most.

6. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

well, given the generally hostile reception that christians get here, it's really not so surprising now is it?

7. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

Um, did you actually read the links? I agree that there is some hostility, but it's mostly because of people like him. And for the record, there are several religious people here who don't have a problem. Actually, the only posters who really hassle us are those same types of people that Huckabee apparently is who when they're speaking of religion, they mean their religion. Kinda expected more of them to come in here and defend the guy, or at least attempt to. If you'd like to give it a shot, go for it. :)

It's too bad, like with Ron Paul, I actually liked the guy until I started reading up on him and actually learned what he stood for and supported.

8. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I believe you misread, or misunderstand, what people write about christians. There is a small percentage of christian zealots who do not believe in American values. They want to turn America into a theocracy, after dismantling the Constitution and Bill of Rights. They have integrated themselves into virtually every facet of government, the military, the media, etc. For a long time, it was unclear who these people were and exactly what their agenda was (is). I think in many respects, they were considered harmless.

However, as their agenda and influence became more clear, people began to realize what a serious threat they have become to the American way of life. Just look at how the republican candidates have to pander to them. It is no coincidence that many of their key adversaries are actually other christians. I am reading a book right now about them, American Fascists by Chris Hedges. He holds a doctorate in theology from Harvard.

I do not think the majority of Americans want to see our Country taken over by a small group of self-appointed messiahs. So, when you read, or hear, people attacking the christian fascists, it is this group they are focusing on. I, like many others, want to see religion revert back to a personal matter, and absent from politics.

9. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

David Kuo wrote a good book on the subject too, Tempting Faith. He was originally hired by Rove and the Bush administration to head up their faith based initiatives dept. He quit in disgust when he saw that they were just using religion to gain support, while mocking those same people who were supporting them, and didn't plan on actually following through with their promises. Which should be obvious to anyone paying attention. He pointed out that mixing politics and religion is dangerous to both.

I can't tell if Huckabee is doing the same thing, or if he actually believes in what he says, but it's equally as scary to those religious and not.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Yep, it is pretty screwed up isn't it?

11. crdean1 macrumors 6502a

crdean1

No, I'm a Christian, and I definitely won't be supporting him. The job of President is not that of a pastor. It seems that Mr. Huck doesn't get that.

...not that he'd even make a good pastor...it just seems to be his platform.

12. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

I'm sorry, I read the Huffington post with as much belief as the Weekly World News. They make Fox News look like NPR.

Of course he has done some stupid things and said even stupider. But, he is the only candidate who supports the Fair Tax. Everyone else on the republican side has just as many skeletons. But at least he has been steadfast in this one issue which I believe in.

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The Huffington Post is not the only place where these stories have appeared.

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-na-huckabee9dec09,1,2303143.story

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-na-huckabee8dec08,1,1844389.story

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm old enough to remember when this happened, and remember it I do. It was more of an attack on gays than it was AIDS. People like Huckabee and Falwell were gleeful as hell about us dropping like flies back then. They used AIDS as an excuse to legitimize discrimination against us, believe me. This was definitely not about "public health" or "political correctness" back then. It was about making life as miserable as possible for gay people.

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I recall this well enough myself. A lot of people said a lot of terrible things -- which of course some of them are trying to run away from now.

16. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

he can say goodbye to my vote then. he's another one of the people that make all christians look bad, and those people i refuse to vote for, as they are intent to to drill their christian faith (the religious right way) as the 'correct' one, and warping the faith to fit their agenda. i just don't want people voting for someone just because he's a christian because of people like huckabee warping the faith into something else.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That's good to hear. I certainly appreciate that.

18. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

Um, did you actually read my post? If you had, you would have seen that I quoted and responded to your "surprised" post and not your post with the links in it

19. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

Most of what they have on the main page (I don't read the blog postings on the side generally) is just straight from the AP or Reuters. They also routinely criticize Dems as well. Not to mention the fact checking and retractions you wouldn't see on the WWN. I agree that they lean more liberal, since Arianna does now (she used to be a Republican) and it's her site, but if you make statements like this, I wonder if you're actually reading the site? Any evidence to back up that assertion?

And as far as the whole skeletons in the closet thing, sure, to a point. But not like this. Not this bad. It's pretty hypocritical. And should be reasons enough not to want to support him.

I don't get what you're saying then. I was surprised we didn't have more people defending him considering the fact that we do have some religious people here, some actually saying they support him. This isn't an attack on Christians though, or Christianity. It's a criticism of someone who claims to be religious, but has done some morally ambiguous (to say the least) things. Same with most of our criticisms or religious hypocrites, with a few exceptions. That's why I asked if you had read the links. This has nothing to do with "religion", nor Christianity, nor would the defense of him be. It's about Huckabee, and those who claimed to support him, and how now no one seems to want to anymore. Unless, I guess, maybe to see that everyone else sucks, so that somehow makes it ok.

A response of how hostile we are to Christians, real or perceived because that's an awfully big generalization (again, especially considering how many of us are religious ourselves), I'm sorry, but just doesn't make much sense in context when that's not why I'm criticizing him. Pretty much the opposite. If he lived up to what he claimed to stand for, I wouldn't be criticizing him, and there would be nothing needed to defend.

20. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

More here:

New Documents Revealed In Case Of Huckabee's Support For Freeing Rapist

You can attack the messenger all you want, just like Huckabee's camp has tried to do, but it doesn't change the message.

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Nothing like a little persecution complex to help get you through this life, is there?

Huckabee is also refusing to release the contents of his sermons as a preacher. I wonder why he'd want to keep those under wraps? He's a compassionate Christian Leader, isn't he?

22. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

"It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God." (Matthew 19:24)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uselections08/mikehuckabee/story/0,,2227378,00.html

23. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Wow, a $3,600 pair of cowboy boots? I bet that's going to make heads explode among those who waxed intellectual about a $400 haircut.

Oh wait, IOKIYAR. Silly me, I forget these things. Same reason they'll harp on a $400 haircut, but not a $300 makeup job...

24. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

25. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

I just read something about the Theology degree, or lack thereof, but I was just about to post something about #2 on that list in your second links.

So, how exactly did Mike Huckabee's son David kill that dog, back in the day when he was a Boy Scout?

Nice that Daddy tried to cover it up too. Gotta what passes for the family values these days. Down towards the bottom they note some other fun facts about these fine, upstanding folk.

Mike Huckabee: Playing Both Sides of the Pulpit