the real Palin on SNL last night

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by shecky, Oct 19, 2008.

1. shecky Guest

shecky

2. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Wow. I really liked that skit. It's not going to make me vote for her, but the skit was very well done. Bringing in Baldwin was genius, especially the way he mistook Palin for Fey.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

She was a good sport for coming on SNL (and wow, I really can't tell the two of them apart either), but it really wasn't funny at all to me. The only part that was even remotely funny was the part in the beginning without Palin where Fey was doing the press conference. I just didn't understand that. I mean, Al Gore came on SNL and was funny. This was kind of dumb. :(

4. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Palin needed to do damage control and I think she succeeded somewhat with the SNL appearance. I could tell she was stiff and somewhat nervous, but she can, like former politician Jerry Springer, revitalize/reinvent herself, in entertainment.

First, we know she will lose the election. So what is her future? Get paid a couple of hundred thousand, if even that, to run Alaska, or get into comedy making fun of Fey doing 30 rock? MadTV could do a wicked skit, or set of skits, on 30 rock if they got ex-politican Palin and coached her. She could make way more money in 15 minutes of Tina Fey lookalike fame than she ever did running Wasilla or Alaska. I am serious. Actors cross over to politics (reagan, arnold, etc) and politicians like Springer and Joe Scarborough have crossed over into entertainment, and Scarborough is really an entertainer more than a serious commentator, and paid the much higher entertainer's salary for it, too. Palin, like her or not, has actually become the most famous VP from nowhere and she has a built in persona that people find funny.

5. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

The opening skit was decent, her performance in the second was blurgin horrible.

6. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Hold on a second. Allowing Palin to appear on SNL while she refuses to answer questions or hold press conferences and attacks the media is a betrayal of NBC’s news division and its entertainment division. IMO

7. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I think it's because she can't handle the bigger arena of real life national politics, but SNL where it's scripted works in her favor. :)

Personally, I think she should stay on SNL and get out of national politics. Or she should join national political candidates anonymous with Ross Perot, Jerry Brown, and Ralph Nader.

8. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I don't see why she did this. They continued to make fun of her, just only in her presence. It didn't endear her at all. It made her look stupid and pathetic, unable to pick up on what is going on around her.

9. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

SNL is an equal opportunity slammer. If you are in office, you are a target, lest you forget all the Clinton skits. :)

Unfortunately, a part of the description of President/VP and/or candidate is having SNL tear you apart.

And SNL is mild. Check out what Bobby Lee of MadTV does to McCain. I would post a link but I don't think that MadTV is always safe for younger viewing. McCain is depicted as a flashback ridden, deaf, horny senior citizen by Lee who does an amazing job capturing the negative perceptions of the candidate. Anyway, Google or YouTube it and check it out.

10. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

I disagree, the fact that she understands that SNL makes fun of pretty much every politician regardless of party made it seem like she's actually able to comprehend things in popular culture, unlike many politicians. I'm still not voting for McCain/Palin, but then again I'm not voting for Obama/Biden either. So I don't care too much about what any of them do, at least I won't feel responsible for either one of their colossal failures. Go Bob Barr!

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Desperation, my friends. That the McCain campaign believed the press coverage of SNL with Palin on as a guest would be better than the press coverage of SNL without Palin just tells you how much they're sweating these last few weeks.

12. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Well, at least I know what the later Wahlberg/Samberg interchange was about (except for the donkey). I would have watched the whole thing if it hadn't been for the Sox beating the Rays. :p

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I was laughing my ass of the whole time for the weekend update skit. It wasnt palin tho, it was Amy and the backup dancers (Palins "husband" had my on the floor).

Palin literally just sat there.