The Real Reason AT&T Unlock Servers Are Down

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by travis.hansen, Oct 6, 2013.

1. travis.hansen macrumors regular

I have heard that the servers were overloaded and crashed from the release of the iPhone 5S and 5C traffic. I've heard AT&T is changing their unlocking policy. I have also heard the guy at the top doing all the unlocks called it quits and I heard the guys doing factory unlocks got busted by AT&T... There is a lot of conflicting information and just curious what you have heard and if anyone knows the real reason for the AT&T crash.

Is this the end of 3rd party resellers selling factory unlocks?

2. iPh0neTy macrumors member

I don't know, not a lot is being communicated from the top. There is a lot of money to be lost so I doubt it will be forever but whatever is going on it's big.

3. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Damn you heard a lot of things about it. But doesn't tell me the real reason why there aren't anymore unlock services.

4. FlyUnlock.com macrumors member

FlyUnlock.com

There are lots of other unlocking services. There is nothing persistent in this business, things change. Services change. Sources change. That's life. Maybe that the cause of the ATT closure is a result of all the rumors you heard ;)

5. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

weird, seeing how i got my AT&T 5S unlocked on day one. If servers were going to crash, it would seem likely that would be the day for it to happen, not days later.

6. LTSmash macrumors newbie

I don't think anyone knows the real reason (and it may never be revealed) but I'm leaning toward money.

AT&T iPhone unlocks could be found for about a buck, sometimes less, on many sites. It's pretty convenient to have something happen and then go "well, at&t is charging more now... at&t is stricter... this guy quit... whatever". If at&t really is charging for unlocks or not is pretty irrelevant as long as the customer believes it's happening. Then you can raise your prices.

I'm sure there's not much work involved, and I'm sure a few people had automated systems because I've seen listings with very specific instructions on "send us a message, imei only, nothing else. not a period, not a hi, nothing." well that's probably automated. But at a buck per unlock they weren't making much money; jumping on a chance to raise prices and/or cut out a whole lot of sellers that are undercutting sales would not surprise me.

Either way, it's all speculation... What I think might be true, it might not be... Will we ever find out? Probably not.

7. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Got all my old unlocks for $3 and just paid $15 for my 5s. Well worth it IMHO.

8. APPLEFUNRF macrumors regular

APPLEFUNRF

When exactly did you pay and where ? Tnx

9. AFDoc macrumors 68030

On Ebay but the listing I used is no longer up. There is an att unlock for 29 listed on the bay.