The real reason for Qatar terroist lable

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Al Jazeera news agency with its open discussions, and even criticism of regional governments (including its own), is a massive thorn in Saudi Arabia's and others side.

Although not balanced by world standards, they are by far the best in region.

It has been years since I lived in Saudi, from my experience the censorship of media in Saudi would make the Soviets envious. TV shows where (are?) heavily edited, some even totally banned.
I watched TV from Bahrain as it was not as badly censored, but even then it was not untouched.

Qatar is doing extremely well, does not need to be in any shady schemes, so this is very much the bigger neighbors not wanting the little guy reveal their dirty secrets.
There is little unity or friendship in the Islamic world.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
I find Al-Jazeera much more balanced and informative than western MSM.
Same can be said for RT.
Just gotta know their biases.
They are good for reporting news outside their home country but not so much in their own country.

Reactions: sorcery

jerwin

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2015
On one of the hundreds of websites I visited in the past few days, there was a curious ad accusing Qatar of cheating to get the 2022 world cup. What made it so surprising to my mind, was that the ad was paid for by Bahrain. Which is sort of a turnoff-- rich middle eastern monarchies spending money in order to get someone to care about their petty feuds.

In the Telegraph yesterday:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/10/09/qatar-blockade-will-cease-nation-surrenders-2022-world-cup-says/

The blockade of Qatar by its neighbours will cease if the country is stripped of or surrenders the 2022 World Cup, a top Emirati official has claimed.

A link between the controversial staging of the tournament by the tiny Gulf state and the boycott of it by four Arab nations has been drawn for the first time by one of the parties involved, Dubai’s head of security, lieutenant general Dhahi Khalfan.

“If the World Cup goes out of Qatar, the crisis in Qatar will end because the crisis was made to break it,” Khalfan posed on Twitter on Sunday night.

Sounds dumb to me.

Last edited:

sorcery

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2016
Ring of Fire
Sounds very dumb. Qatar was accused of bribery shortly after the 2022 venue was announced. Quite willing to believe it, except that the amount alleged, at that time, was rather small by Qatari standards.
More likely explanation is that they discovered Qatar is being driven to ally with Iran and now they need a face-saving way to back down.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Sounds very dumb. Qatar was accused of bribery shortly after the 2022 venue was announced. Quite willing to believe it, except that the amount alleged, at that time, was rather small by Qatari standards.
More likely explanation is that they discovered Qatar is being driven to ally with Iran and now they need a face-saving way to back down.
In America we have a similarity where when a party runs for a political office position they need political backing and these funds are described as campaign funds. You get these funds provided you meet their guidelines. One could also call this a form of bribery

Reactions: sorcery