The real reason for the world financial crisis!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by scotthayes, Jul 23, 2008.

1. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

"Wall street got drunk and now it got a hangover!"

3 guesses who summerised the world financial crisis this way

BBC News

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's actually not a half bad analogy... I'm all for beating up on GWB when he does something stupid, and you get plenty of chances to do just that, but meh, might as well give him a break when he's just trying to be funny. Or god forbid, when he actually does something right (we might yet have mental health parity during his term in office).

3. scotthayes thread starter macrumors 68000

scotthayes

No issues with him trying to be funny, but when booze was flowing freely on his watch, he pissed billions up the wall on Iraq and tipped the ones doing the drinking rather than the ones serving the drinks I don't think he should make a joke out of it.

Think I may have gone over the top with the drinking analogy :D

4. MattJessop macrumors regular

MattJessop

Yup, I'd say that you poured too much into the glass, and its overflowing slightly. :)

5. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

Hmmm. All these drinking stories makes me wanta invest in liquor stock! :confused:

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Middle East instability most certainly does play its part in the global economic problem, but it doesn't really have anything to do with the housing / lending fiasco....

7. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, to continue the analogy...guess which party is the biggest bunch of alcoholic-enablers around?

(Hint: there's an elephant involved...and it ain't pink.)

8. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

I saw this earlier on the bbc and was frankly dismayed that they let this pass for news. While I feel that conservatives are, for the most part, out of their mind when they go on about 'liberal bias' in the media, this article seems to me nothing but a thinly veiled laugh at GWB. The beeb really has been going downhill over the years.

9. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

How can anyone not laugh at such a contorted, painfully put together statement?

I think also you're missing the broader picture. When a president is in his lame duck phase, there's little that's off limits in terms of presidential gaffes.

10. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Well, of course it's laughable, contorted, etc. but the point is that it isn't a news item. The message here is nothing to do with economics, international relations, or anything newsworthy, it's simply that GWB is a simpleton. We know that already. I certainly don't look to the news for light entertainment..

Anyway, Bush has been in his lame duck phase since the late 60s as I understand it.