The Real Reason the 5C Exists

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blairh, Sep 10, 2013.

1. blairh macrumors 68040

blairh

I'm seeing a lot of threads popping up about why the 5C exists. We were led to believe by rumors and speculation/analysts that the 5C was being made specifically to target emerging markets and to appeal to consumers as a low priced entry into the iPhone world that wasn't simply a previous generation model. With the 5 in place it seemed to make the most sense that we'd see the 5S/5/5C in that order with respect to pricing and features. The 5C would range between $300-$450 off-contract. Personally I thought Apple would offer a 5C off-contract for $350 (8 GB model) and a 16 GB variant for $450.

I believe Apple decided earlier this year to discontinue the black/slate model due to issues with the anodized coating performing very poorly especially around the chamfered edges. This was true of the iPhone 5 I owned and it's a general understanding that the white iPhone 5 holds up much better than the black model due to the anodizing coating that was needed for the black model.

Fast forward to today's keynote. The black model has been eliminated from the 5S lineup, replaced by a gray model which will of course hold up much better to scuffs on its edges. The iPhone 5 is removed from the lineup entirely. A move that is very usual with respect to how Apple has handled previous generation iPhone's. The 5C is essentially the iPhone 5 but in a plastic colored shell.

The 5C exists because Apple decided to get the 5 out of the lineup. That's the only reason. Yes the plastic casing may cost a bit less to produce but the remainder of the components are essentially identical to the 5 so the total cost of the device cannot be significantly cheaper to produce and hence justify removing the 5 entirely at this point.

2. Candlelight macrumors 6502a

Candlelight

I can't see the point in buying a 5S if a 5C exists. The features in the higher model doesn't justify the price.

But I'm still using a 4 so what do I know. :)

3. CEmajr macrumors 601

In a few words, it exists to increase Apple's profit margins because the 5 is more expensive to manufacture than they would like for an older model to be.

The whole "low-cost" to go after Android marketshare that everyone predicted turned out not to be true.

4. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

.... and boom goes the dynamite.

5. jesusplay macrumors 6502a

I only upgraded from my 4 to the 5 for lte, I see no real reason to get a 5C or 5S if you own a 5.

The next iphone,iPhone 6 or 7 or 8 should have a larger screen.

6. blairh thread starter macrumors 68040

blairh

Your theory doesn't make sense. The 4S and 5C have different form factors.

----------

Are you kidding me? You think the 5 was too expensive for them to make to justify being in the middle of their iPhone lineup? I'm not buying that for a second. Notice how they eliminated the slate model entirely in the 5S. The only counter I can come up with (to myself) is that they could have made the 5 in 'space grey' instead of slate. I still think that's their main motivation though. It's bizarre to see the 5 get the ax. Keep in mind that most of the components of the 5C are identical to the 5.

7. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

Dont forget once the 128GB version comes out months down the line... they get mire profit from all those early buyers of the 64gb who crave more space...

8. blairh thread starter macrumors 68040

blairh

Most consumers don't upgrade their iPhone's every year.

9. Kurso macrumors 6502

Exactly! The 5C is designed to make sure the cheap model is always in sync with the current gen form factor.

10. Lerxt macrumors regular

A lot of words for nothing. The 5C is designed to appeal to the Asian and the Western young person market. They have pitched it perfectly for that. There is more money in the Asian market than anywhere else.

11. blairh thread starter macrumors 68040

blairh

Spare me your nonsense. How exactly does the 5C appeal to Asians more than the 5S? If anything the gold 5S will be huge with Asians. 'Western young person market.' Thanks for the laugh.

You seem to be confused with the rumors which suggested that a cheaper iPhone would do gangbusters in China. That is until we learned the 5C isn't cheap at all.

----------

Again, you aren't making sense. The 5, if it had remained, would have kept the same form factor.

12. ghettochris macrumors 6502a

twice as fast is enough of a reason for me. life is short, don't waste it seconds at a time by using outdated tech.

13. emptysoul macrumors regular

But the 5C is not the cheap model...the 4S is.

14. swish2351 macrumors 6502

I can make the same argument the other way.
    Why would I pay $100 when I can pay $200 for the nicer product? Price doesn't justify the lack of features

15. NickG420 macrumors regular

NickG420

Or you could say why pay $199 for 16GB and a Fingerprint Reader when you can pay $199 for 32GB without one? Is the Finger Print reader worth $100 more?

16. yahoodlums macrumors member

5C looks like a massive fail to me. Who will buy it at that price? It's not going to swing any Android users and Apple faithfuls will get the 5S.

I think the iPhone 5 was underwhelming and the 5C should be much cheaper to compete with the Nexus 4.

17. Tiger8 macrumors 68020

Well said bro/sister!

18. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

Anyone that deals with average consumers knows it's a simple answer:

A 99$ iPhone 5c would outsell a $99 iPhone 5 because it doesn't carry the stigma of being a 1-year old product. Slap the same parts in a new shell and give it a new name, and the average consumer sees brand new for cheaper.

I mean honestly, what else could it be? It's a plastic shell iPhone 5 at the exact same price that an iPhone would cost had it been bumped down like every other previous model. Sure colors are fun, and the plastic reportedly has a high quality feel, but it's still basically a lateral move.

19. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

This is so true... Had the iPhone 5 stayed it would have been $99 on contract which is what the 5C is. The fact is that the 5C exists to make more money. It is said that Apple can make the 5C with the same stuff as iPhone 5 for almost half the cost. Take that into consideration ... That is why the 5C exists and the 5 does not...

----------

Is the 5S twice as fast? I thought it was said to be 31% faster. With that said... IMO this is a very incremental upgrade. Sure you have the fingerprint sensor and M7, but the camera is still 8 mp. The iPhone 4S and 5 are still fast phones. I guess the tell-tell sign will be when iOS 7 final is released...

20. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Absolutely no chamfered edges on my black iPhone 5! I think they created the iPhone C because it's an amazingly beautiful innovative device! Disagree me if you like .... This is my opinion!!

21. bryanc28 macrumors 6502

bryanc28

Also, Apple was getting tons of iPhone 5 returns from broken lock buttons.

22. Obese Lobsters macrumors member

I have to disagree, I believe keeping the iphone 5 would have created a similar situation to when the iphone 4s came out. I seem to remember that the iphone 4 was selling in massive numbers due to being $100 cheaper and customers not being able to tell the difference.

23. ceva321 macrumors 6502

ceva321

I totally agree with you.

24. blairh thread starter macrumors 68040

blairh

I'm not buying this. Apple never needed to do that in the past. If they feel that is necessary now, then they have fallen on more desperate times.

I'm convinced they wanted to no longer make the slate iPhone. I also think these colors will turn off a lot of men.

----------

So Apple is going to slap a new case onto the redesigned iPhone every two years when it hits year 2 on the market? I doubt that.