The (real) State of Europe 2016: Italy outraged over French Carbonara Recipe

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by vrDrew, Apr 13, 2016.

1. vrDrew macrumors 65816

A French website that put up video for a one-pot Carbonara recipe has sparked howls of outrage across Italy.

The video has gone viral in Italy, sparking thousands of comments ridiculing the recipe which (gasp!) uses farfalle pasta (bowties) instead of the traditional spaghetti; as well as boiling the guanciale (a type of bacon) in the pot.

"Stick to the frogs legs” and “you’ve already got the Mona Lisa, leave the Carbonara alone” - were just two of the thousands of angry comments mocking the recipe.

Of course, claiming "traditional" status for Spaghetti Carbonara is a little bit problematic - since it doesn't appear to have existed prior to the mid-Twentieth century; and is believed by some to have been created during the occupation of Rome by the US Army during WWII.

(I'll confess to a little culinary barbarism of my own: I've been known to serve up carbonara made with Oscar Meyer bacon and sprinkled with parmesan cheese that came out of a little green can. Life sometimes throws you curveballs and its not always easy to get your hands on artisanal pecorino, even if you live in a place that calls itself America's Dairyland.)

2. bandrews macrumors 6502a

3. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

o_O :eek: :mad:

I sure as hell don't blame them for being upset. I'd be pissed off too!

Confession for me. When I was growing up, every Sunday evening from roughly age 7 until 21, my parents and I went to eat at Mister C's Italian Restaurant and Steakhouse. I'd say that they were 'authentic,' if only in the fact that the owners (who were always in the restaurant) were born/raised in Sicily. His brothers also owned Italian restaurants as well (the last one just recently closed after 81 years). So I always thought I had and knew Italian food.

I hadn't tasted, let alone seen or heard of Carbonara until 1995, and that was from going to Australia, and having it made for me by Greeks and Italians in a restaurant down there. I never, to this day, have had a better pasta.

So to say that even native Sicilians have never heard of Carbonara was absolutely shocking to me, though now that I think about it and given the above, I can understand. Mr. C and his brothers were already in Omaha during WW2. Either way, it's safe to say I've been spoiled by the Greeks and Italians living in Oz!

If I could, I'd downvote you for just the Oscar Meyer alone! :p

Applewood or Pecanwood smoked bacon. You can get a pass for the canned parm, but if you can get a small block of Parm, asiago, or romano, grate that, and you're golden. And optional for the green peas.

BL.

4. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

I understood carbonara is a Roman dish (I mean modern Rome not the ancient one) and as Italian cuisine has many regional variations I am not surprised Sicilians would not know anything about it.

5. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

They're in an outrage because it's not halal?

6. vrDrew, Apr 13, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2016

vrDrew thread starter macrumors 65816

As Italian guanciale is sliced bacon made primarily from the cheek; I'd imagine using Pork Jowl (a staple in much southern and soul food cookery) would be a pretty acceptable substitute. I typically use pancetta in my carbonara, although even there I'll cheap-out and buy the domestic stuff. Most of my ladyfriends are better appreciated for the beauty of their faces and figures, rather than the sophistication of their palettes. And I've always believed you shouldn't throw swine before pearls......

7. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Bold/red for emphasis.

There you go. Much better! :p

BL.

8. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

TMI. Let's try to keep it a little classy here.

9. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Wait until you find out what they think of pineapple on pizza.

10. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

And you wanted to know about what the problem is with the EU... ;)