The real truth about race and policing

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

After some of the other blacks/whites/cops threads around here, I felt we needed a little better perspective.

The whole article, which is not long, is well worth a read, especially the examples of sadistic cops.

This whole post-9/11 hero worship/glorification of all cops is ridiculous, and gives plenty of cover to the bad ones. Cops protect bad cops the way doctors protect bad doctors. It's mindless to think otherwise. And yet in my little circle of moderate-to-liberal white people, I'm the only one who seems to believe that the cop who killed Alton Sterling was in the wrong. It's maddeningly frustrating and shows, at least to me, how far we have to go.

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

3. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

4. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

Are we talking about bad cops and Doctors or racists ones. I have a hard time believing that there are doctors in the USA purposely killing black people.

5. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Excellent post, eye opening article for anyone who allows their eyes to be opened.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 10, 2016 ---
    The comment refers to protecting the institution to which the individual belongs.

6. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

7. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Of course your truth is more valid.

8. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Well guess what, the whole post-9/11 damning/lambasting of all cops is no less ridiculous. Especially when social media is going into overdrive showing black and white officers who seem to look quite chummy, to help counter what are often very staged videos that do more to spin.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 10, 2016 ---
    The truth is usually in the middle, hence that phrase being coined a long time ago in the first place. Which is why both extremes scream loudly, so someone on the fence could make notes and try to find a perception or information neither side had shown?

9. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Anyone who has had an encounter with police knows that most of the time they're *******s.
    And I'm a white guy! I can't imagine what its like for black people.

10. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I've been pulled over at night for a tail light out twice in my life. Once the cop was great, the other time he looked and sounded like a psycho. That latter occasion was the one where I was glad I'm white.

11. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I've had a very very okay encounter w/ police pursuing a criminal complaint, some okay and ordinary ones (traffic stops) and I have experienced some lazy responses making requests in NYC for non-emergency services like doing something about a guy loitering in an ATM lobby. I have not been abused by any law enforcement officer.

One time when I was stopped on what's now I-86, and I assumed it was for speeding since I had probably been doing about 7-10 miles over limit, there was something sort of, I dunno, slow or unusually cautious and tense about the way the officer approached the car after he had stopped behind me and got out. It was suddenly a completely unfamiliar situation to me even though I had experienced traffic stops in the past.

I remember being extra calm and explicit in how and what I said before I made any moves after he asked for my paperwork. "My reggie is in the glovebox with the insurance paper, and my license is in my wallet in my purse, I'll give you the license first?" and I waited just a beat or so and then fished in my bag for the wallet and took out the license and handed it to him. He seemed ok with that after shining his light on it, then he just said "ok get the registration document please" and seemed way more relaxed than when he had first come up to my vehicle.

Then he just went into that routine about "Do you know why I have pulled you over this evening?"... etc. Sigh, of course I did. Revenue generation! Or at least I thought so. For all I know my license plate was one digit off some escaped con's car and I had just turned into a boring stop instead of the one he worried about. The world doesn't always revolve around me, does it.

He ended up not writing a ticket, but I won't forget feeling the hairs rising on back of my neck while watching in the side mirror how tense he seemed when he was coming up on my car. I knew I should definitely just leave both my hands visible on the wheel, and wait for him to start the conversation.

Maybe he'd just had a rough day. Pulling over a vehicle can be a real jack-in-the-box any time. I wouldn't be a police officer for the best pay and benefits possible. Not any more anyway. But still I don't like realizing that someone with LE power may project his bad day on his next encounter with a civilian, and that the responsibility for preventing escalation may rest entirely on that civilian. After all, it is the police who are trained up for these encounters. Or should be.

12. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

My experience was pretty good from late 70's to early 90's. Then, in the midst of rising prosperity, the cars I was driving seemed seriously old. I started having a lot of negative experiences attributed by the police themselves to the old vehicles I was driving. They honestly seemed to think that it made sense to stop people for no reason other than "driving an old vehicle." I guess they were looking for opportunities for a little revenue-based policing. Post 9/11, I had a couple of very negative experiences-- who knows why? (I never got a ticket.)

Bottom line: I'm very careful about fixing lights or anything the police could stop me for. In a nicer vehicle, I've only been semi-threatened once that I recall.

What is to be done?

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

14. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I've been pulled probably about a dozen or so times over the years, and have only had one bad experience out of all of them.

Though I feel like I dodged a bullet one time. I was helping a friend do some carpentry work up in Chattanooga one night. We quit pretty late, around 4AM or so. While we're both driving our respective vehicles home, he calls me up and asks me if I'll follow him to the gas station, because he's running on fumes. Wants me to pick him up in case he runs out. I do just that. We hit the off ramp, head up to the nearest station, I get out to see if he's okay from there, then we go our separate ways. I see him walk in the door, and wave to a cop at the counter as I head back to my car.

About 10 minutes later, I get a call from him, asking me if everything went okay. I ask him what he meant, and he said that right after I left, the girl behind the register told the cop that I looked at him through the window, panicked, then ran off. He apparently got really pissed after hearing this, and hauled out of there to look for me. The only reason why I missed him was because the road I wanted to head down to go home was closed off for some reason, forcing me to head back to the interstate. We probably passed right by each other.

He probably thought I was casing the place or something. Who knows how that would've turned out.

15. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Well supposedly abortion doctors are, if you believe some of the "pro-life” arguments.

16. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

Are you saying that doctors are giving black women abortions without there consent? Sounds a bit like what a right wing loon would say.

17. APlotdevice, Jul 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2016

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Huh? No, I’m eluding to the “abortion is a conspiracy to commit black genocide” nonsense that some nuttier pro-lifers have peddled.

18. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

and it is always good to hear the otherside too before judging:

https://www.policeone.com/patrol-is...are-racist-and-violent-claims-are-dead-wrong/

The bottom line is that Redditt Hudson is a wannabe politician who, despicably, seems determined to use the Ferguson situation to try and jump-start his stalled career ...

Maybe these people need to gather together around the same table and not only throwing bombs on each other. That doesnt do any good. When someone is claiming something, the otherside can respond to it. Or maybe atleast journalists could ask from the otherside too before publishing anything so people can read opinions of both sides at the same time.

19. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Most of the time in my experience the police try really hard.

20. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

So we're saying that leadership in organizations like police departments plays a defining role in the attitudes and actions of the officers?

Whoda thunk

21. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Anybody ever been profiled for a wide nose? And people say race isn't involved. :rolleyes:

Castile family responds to police scanner audio

22. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

There are bad cops, all cops should wear cams bottom line, accountability is key.

Shooting white cops is not the answer.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 11, 2016 ---
    Wasn't the shooter a Latino? Jeronimo Yanez?

23. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Does matter. Latinos are not exempt from racial profiling, neither are black police.

24. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I can tell you really want to move to Texas. ;)
    --- Post Merged, Jul 11, 2016 ---
    Some interesting points, but, the author gives herself away as a gun nut-- as such, I can't take some of what she says seriously. She does make an interesting point that I agree with -- the author of the Vox article confesses to being quite low in moral courage. And, I agree with the her that moral courage is key. Not to mention good management. Odd that she doesn't like to use that word, though, considering that she was a manager herself. She also never addresses the main point either of the Vox article, the reason that there is so much press about this right now, or, the statistics.

In the UK, sure.

25. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I won't generalize, but through third party testimony from several people I know, in Texas, it seems some officers like exerting their authority and ask questions that seem like they are trying to put you on the defensive, like on a traffic stop, why do you have a Minnesota drivers license?? My wife's answer I live there... :rolleyes: Why are you in Texas? Visiting friends... My wife reached a point where she told the officer, why don't you give me a ticket or allow me to go about my business. He let her go, and she does not know the reason for the stop. She assumes it was because she was in a drug trafficking corridor.