The reason for the next iPhones new back.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Trhodezy, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Trhodezy macrumors regular

First and foremost, we've all nearly taken the metal back on the next iPhone (assuming this isn't a controlled leak) to be NFC based, you know.. for that not-so-useful passbook app and possible "iWallet" but one thing that (and I'm surprised) hasn't come up - wireless charging or wi-tricity.

I'd stake my left leg (lost the right leg in the "(not-so) Redesigned Apple TV unveiling" fiasco back a few months..) that if there is a "innovative, Killer feature" it'll be wireless charging.

No?

Rumours have been bouncing back and forth that there is a (possible Apple branded) case/cover being designed & produced for the new iPhone. Chances are it'll be related to this in some form.

Of course, this is speculation and I could be wrong.. but I like to dream Harold.

Other possible "feature" for the new back: Touch gestures.

BUT Apple could surprise us and it could just become a $500 part-time fridge magnet.

2. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

I was thinking about it being for gestures, like the Playstation Vita's back touch pad. But I don't know. I thought it looked ridiculous at first but now I think it is a pretty cool design feature.

3. Trhodezy thread starter macrumors regular

I'd have to agree there, but It's grown on me..

4. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

I would feel better about the two tone back plate if they used wireless charging... like the HP TouchPad had... or the power mats you can buy.

5. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Nah. It really is as simple as making a better, stronger phone. Metal is stronger than glass. They have to keep the glass on top and bottom to avoid attenuation of the signal.

6. Trhodezy thread starter macrumors regular

Agree, give some reason to the not-so-nice backing design.

----------

I don't think its as simple as that.. ;)

7. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I don't understand why it would have to look like that to be NFC. NFC is currently available in a lot of devices without such a drastic design.

8. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

There have been some rumors that Apple are working on 2 new cases - one standard and one that will be unique and will be a big difference to other cases. I wondered if this will be contactless charging when I read it too.

9. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

inductive charging will never make sense to me.

Traditional charging with a cable allows me to use the device/hold the device while it charges.

Inductive charging saves me the 1 second it takes to plug in the phone, but it severely limits the use of the phone while charging.

As long as I have the option to still use a cable I'm ok with it, because I know a lot of people are looking forward to inductive charging. The idea just falls short with me.

Wireless charging on the other hand...

10. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Trust me. It is that simple.

11. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I agree with you. I think people are giving Apple too much credit nowadays.

12. Trhodezy thread starter macrumors regular

Google Wi-tricity. See if you would prefer that.

13. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

That metal back is just a design choice. Either for looks, strength, or both. To me, wireless charging is one of the biggest gimmicks out there. I don't care in the slightest if I have to plug a cable into the bottom of a device, or place the thing on a charging mat. The point is that, while charging, I can't take my phone and leave the house. And besides that, wireless charging takes some fancy hardware, which is not in line with Apple's ongoing aspirations to make stuff thinner.

14. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

You are right, especially for a phone. It was a decently cool concept with the HP TouchPad because the inductive charging base acted as a stand for the tablet. Which could work for watching video. but it still isnt practical.

15. k3roro macrumors 6502

16. No Smd macrumors newbie

If it was like the Hp Touchpads wireless charging Heat+Metal does not mix well.

17. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

are we sure it's metal? maybe the stuck the antenna back there

18. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

Yes, I am aware of it. I know it is still probably a few years off but I await it eagerly. That patent Apple made a while back sketched out an iMac that had a built in base station. The keyboard and mouse charged wirelessly. When you sat down to it, your iPhone did as well, without removing it from your pocket.

I think that is a killer concept, I hope we see it one day. As far as this two-tone back goes I am seriously clueless. I don't think it's NFC. I don't think it's inductive charging. If I had to guess I would say it's just a metal or other material that is more drop resistant than glass.

19. orangebluedevil macrumors 6502

Look at the pic of the internal of the back. There are no connections between the battery and the back. :(

20. LittleGwen macrumors 6502

i dont like the look of it. but it's apple so.. perhaps when it comes out, the actual iPhone will look a lot better than in the photographs. and if there's a good reason for it, then I'm sold.

21. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

NFC is said to NOT work with a metal back and why the GS3 and other Androids with it have plastic backs.

I will find out soon enough as i have ordered a new battery cover with a metal back from China so i will see if it will work. They say it wont but i liked the look of the cover.

22. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Well I agree with Applefandrew, I do believe it's as simple as that. Of course making up things to make it easier for some to accept that it's designed that way for some complex, wow factor reason is cool too. Just setting themselves up for disapointment.

23. Ay_Zimmy macrumors 6502

It was in the prototypes, it's ready to be used as a design.

24. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

On close examination of the inside of the cases we've been seeing, there's nothing 'electronic' there, just mill marks and stand-offs for a circuit board. No 'magic'.

I'm with others thinking this kind of talk gives Apple too much credit. Now take a walk on over and check out the Windows phone 8 for some real innovation and forward thinking. Quite impressive. These guys mean business while Apple coasts with a stretched iPhone 4.

25. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

Nah, you don't know.