Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomvos

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2005
In the Nexus.
Yeah, ... and the Apple fanboys wonder why Blizzard decided not to bring Overwatch to Mac OS X.

While it is fine to put low end graphics into the entry models to get the right entry price point … it's is stupid to put them into the majority of your products. Because this lowers the overall value of the platform. Sure, the Mac as a platform still has more than enough hype. But it takes more than hype to push some pixels on the screen quickly.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

netkas

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Someone fix it...
I had a fix somewhere, just a moment...
image.jpeg

No?

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Yeah, ... and the Apple fanboys wonder why Blizzard decided not to bring Overwatch to Mac OS X.

While it is fine to put low end graphics into the entry models to get the right entry price point … it's is stupid to put them into the majority of your products. Because this lowers the overall value of the platform. Sure, the Mac as a platform still has more than enough hype. But it takes more than hype to push some pixels on the screen quickly.

Yes, it's especially irritating that the MacBook "Pro" has integrated graphics.

But to be fair, I doubt integrated graphics across the Mac line has anything to do with Overwatch not being on the Mac. Overwatch supports some truly weak integrated graphics, all the way down to the Intel 4400. Also, with Blizzard committing to backporting a number of existing titles to Metal, they appear at worst to be giving mixed signals as to their intent with OS X.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Sigh...gaming benchmarks. I'm sure everybody buys a Mac primarily for gaming. While D700's are not going to be the best at gaming, it sure gives me realtime rendering during editing & export.

Reactions: chevalier433

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
If you want to place a GTX Titan and install 90 updates in order to make it work, you might as well just make a Hackintosh. I want a computer that is born powerful (don't forget the nMP is two years old while the Ti was released a few months ago), and if it means I can't """"upgrade"""" the graphics card, I'm fine with it.
What a joke Apple has become
What a joke the Apple fanbase has become.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
If you want to place a GTX Titan and install 90 updates in order to make it work, you might as well just make a Hackintosh. I want a computer that is born powerful (don't forget the nMP is two years old while the Ti was released a few months ago), and if it means I can't """"upgrade"""" the graphics card, I'm fine with it.

What a joke the Apple fanbase has become.

Weren't the nMP GPU choices sub-par when it was new?
I feel like I remember the 780ti scorching it at the time, just like the 980ti is doing now?

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
If you want to place a GTX Titan and install 90 updates in order to make it work, you might as well just make a Hackintosh.

Corrected this the other day. The GTX Titan has OpenGl and Cuda back in 10.8 days, full OpenCl and everything else from 10.9 onwards. It is only Apple's shameful neglect of Pros that leaves later Titans out. But anyone clever enough to use the thumb wheel screws can put in a Titan or GTX780 and not install a single additional driver and get right to work. (no tools or downloads needed) Please try to check facts before posting errors such as this.

What a joke the Apple fanbois have become.

Fixed it for you.

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
But anyone clever enough to use the thumb wheel screws can put in a Titan or GTX780 and not install a single additional driver and get right to work. (no tools or downloads needed) Please try to check facts before posting errors such as this.
Then why the hell is the thread called "the reason we hack"? If there's no hacking involved, why post such a clickbait title? Regardless, it's confusing.
Fixed it for you.
Okay, first off, I'm not a fanboy. The thing is, you can't go around complaining about Apple all day long. modern Apple does do crap sometimes, but you can't just say "OHMAHGAWD YOU CAN'T PLAY GTA V ON A VM IN 120FPS AT 8K RESOLUTION WITH MAX PARTICLE EFFECTS PERFECTLY ON THE NEW MAC PRO" without completely ignoring the fact that the Mac Pro is about 10x better in every other aspect. Not to mention you CAN upgrade the GPU on the nMP, it's just that the business hasn't been fully established yet, so expect improvements in that regard. Stop being so ****ing ignorant and nostalgia-blind. Stop being "Apple was better before and everything now is a piece of ****". I agree Apple is worse now than before, but it's still a good company. This is the reason why Apple haters exist, because they refuse all change and act like 70-year old saying "back in the ol' days everything was so simple". God dammit, the fanbase has become ****ing insane. If it wasn't for the good people here that are very helpful in many cases, then I'd leave this forum already because of haters like YOU.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
Nothing about the title was meant to be "click bait".

It was simply referring to "here's why many people run a Hackintosh" - the Hackintosh name itself is just a "name" and does not imply any particular level of difficulty or anything, especially these days where throwing together a Hack is drop dead simple if you choose a few basic components correctly.

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
Nothing about the title was meant to be "click bait".

It was simply referring to "here's why many people run a Hackintosh" - the Hackintosh name itself is just a "name" and does not imply any particular level of difficulty or anything, especially these days where throwing together a Hack is drop dead simple if you choose a few basic components correctly.
Oh, my bad.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
Just lots of frustration that there's no Mac Pro, at any price, that will give you totally modern top end performance in all regards.

Reactions: analog900

Demigod Mac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
Going to be even funnier if Nvidia adds the upcoming Pascal cards to their web drivers.

I wonder if they continue to develop the drivers out of spite, just to embarrass Apple? :)

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Corrected this the other day. The GTX Titan has OpenGl and Cuda back in 10.8 days, full OpenCl and everything else from 10.9 onwards. It is only Apple's shameful neglect of Pros that leaves later Titans out. But anyone clever enough to use the thumb wheel screws can put in a Titan or GTX780 and not install a single additional driver and get right to work. (no tools or downloads needed) Please try to check facts before posting errors such as this.

Not much to correct, its only one Titan that gets native support. I don't see how Apple neglects the Titan since they never officially supported them anyway. So user beware, hackers have only themselves to blame if something goes wrong.

What a joke the Apple fanbois have become.

I just fixed it for you:

What a joke the Apple fanbase has become ( With someone fixing a post doesn't really make it any more correct )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.