The Red Phone is Ringing Again!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by stevento, Apr 3, 2008.

1. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, Obama's been attacking McCain lately, so apparently he's optimistic about his chances of winning.

By the way, the "3 a.m." idea just doesn't work here. It's ridiculous. What kind of economic crisis is so immediate that it has to be addressed in the middle of the night?

Whatever she does, I hope Hillary has the problem solved by, oh, 5:30 a.m. at the latest.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I was in Philadelphia yesterday and while watching TV, I saw this ad and I was just shocked. I was about to just start cursing at the TV but I didn't want to wake the other hotel guests. Considering the first one went so well for her, I just couldn't believe her campaign would have the audacity to put out another one.

I did see several Obama ads though, which I throughly enjoyed. They got a point across without resorting to fear mongering or attacking his opponent. Obama's ad tells viewers why they should vote for him, not why they shouldn't vote for the other person.

But now I'm back in Missouri and am enjoying political ad-free TV.

4. stevento thread starter macrumors 6502

stevento

look if obama doesn't want to get attacked he shouldn't be in politics. like bill clinton said, what's wrong with putting on the pads and having an arguement? i dont know why everyone get's mad at hillary for attacking him. it's probably because the media wont pitch him any hardballs.
    but the republican attack machine is NOT planning on thowing any softballs. ....

really? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbKMMlhkgOs

and second of all. it DID go over well for her. it 's been a very successful talking point for her.

5. stevento thread starter macrumors 6502

stevento

6. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

7. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Quick! Chief O'Hara, dash to the roof! Flash the Bat-signal! :D

8. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

9. stevento thread starter macrumors 6502

stevento

lol we get those calls at my house so often now we know when its a bill collector and we don't even answer!!!!

look her campaign is not strapped anymore and keep in mind billary is worth $50M as in personal fortune and they dont plan on losing so if it came down to money i dont think they'd hesitate to spend huge $$$

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Unfortunately for Hillary, she still has to explain (via release of her March fundraising numbers) why she is being outspent 5:1 by Obama.

I mean, if she's got all this personal wealth, surely she should be achieving parity in advertising?

11. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Man, you have no idea how often I have found myself mentally constructing a version of that commercial along those lines.

"It's 3am and your children are sound asleep. But somewhere there's a phone ringing. A madman in a purple crushed velvet suit has escaped an asylum and sent out a series of nursery rhymes hinting at a fiendish plan to steal the focusing ruby from an experimental telescope. Who do you want answering that phone?"

12. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

This 3am stuff is ********.

The funny part is Hillary flat out lied about Bosnia multiple times then said she misspoke because she was overtired. The person who ****s up because she's overtired in the middle of the day is the last person I want answering the phone at 3am. What an idiot.

13. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well now that last part is not fair. These campaigns are killers. I don't know where they get the stamina to even do it. I know I certainly couldn't.

14. stevento thread starter macrumors 6502

stevento

she didnt lie about bosnia
    what kind of lie would that have been? nobody would have believe that for one second
    that the first lady and her daughter ran with their heads down through sniper fire through a war zone?
    who would believe that? when i first heard it i thought "what? she must have been talking about someone else"

15. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

And being the president isn't an easy job either, Bush only mentioned it was "hard work" about 100 times when debating Kerry. If being tired is going to cause you to "misspeak" then I don't want you answering the phone at 3:00 a.m. to solve an international crisis.

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Honestly I would rather have McCain answer the phone at 3 am then Hillary.

Plus McCain is older and will likely be up that early to go potty, so he will be wide awake to answer the phone.

Hillary will be like, why the hell is that phone ringing Im trying to sleep. Damn it Bill I told you not to have your dates call the house past 12.

17. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Right. And Bush / Cheney didn't lie about Saddam's WMD capabilities, they just "misspoke". Probably because they were overly tired.

18. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Give it a rest. It's boring after 6 years, it really is. And I'm not trying to sound like an ***** about it, it's just trite and you're not going to change anyone's opinion by regurgitating it.

EDIT: And stevento, she's not going to win. Realize that.

19. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

She said she was keeping her head down, running through sniper fire in a war zone. It turned out, she wasn't keeping her head down, nor was she running through sniper fire in a war zone. How in the hell is that not lying?

We'd give it a rest if that wasn't the sole reason we've been in Iraq for these past 5 years

20. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

ugghhhh.

21. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Unfortunately, there have been budget cutbacks, and all Gotham City can afford now is Dachshund Man

[​IMG]

22. stevento thread starter macrumors 6502

stevento

she misspoke but did not intentionally lie.
    she knew there was video of her NOT taking sniper fire nor has it ever been mention before so what kind of lie would that have been?

instead of looking at how impossible it is to win‚ she pulls her campaign together and does what it takes. this is not over until somebody has 2025 delegates on their side

23. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

How in the hell do you misspeak about that? I know if I were under attack from snipers, that wouldn't exactly be an event in my life that I would forget later on.

24. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Do you often add mortal peril when you tell people stories from your past? She was trying to make it sound like she had some tough foreign policy experiences. Being in mortal danger in a war zone is not something you just add to a story to spice it up a bit.

Do you think she'll endorse Obama if (when) she finally loses the nomination, and urge her supporters to vote for him?

25. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

This thread is going places.