The Republican Convention thread

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Cleverboy, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    As the Republicans prepare for their convention, McCain has picked his Vice President and the RNC is sharpening their rhetoric on their newly nominated foe, Barack Obama. McCain's "Country First" message will be the central theme, countering Obama's message of "Change We Can Believe In". The GOP message factors right into the infighting that has broken out in the Democratic Party and has been spun brilliantly by the McCain campaign in recent weeks.

Already, the RNC is dealing with their first challenge... and while the name Gustav might make you think the threat plays to McCain's foreign policy strengths, the reality is even more unpredictable than that. Hurrican Gustav has forced the RNC to delay their convention by a day. Pundits have already lined up to predict the political dimensions to the storm, saying:

Where the Democrats held their convention at Pepsi Center in Denver, CO and ended in Invesco Field to a stadium packed with 75,000 people, the Republicans by contrast have made their venue the Xcel Energy Center in Minneapolis-Saint Paul.

The question on everyone's mind will be... who will prime themselves to capture this moment in history? Who will be best prepared to make our country strong again? The GOP clearly think they've found their man.

http://www.gopconvention2008.com/

~ CB

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I wonder if the Prostitution Unit of the Minneapolis police will be working overtime in the airport next week

3. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Prostitution unit? Why would Minneapolis be any different from Denver? Or, are you implying that the Democrat gals give it away for free?

:D:D:D

4. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Isn't the Twin Cities where Larry Craig did his toe tapping?

5. TSE macrumors 68030

I'm going to the Republican National Convention since it's here in the Twin Cities. I'm not really a Republican or a Democrat but I plan on going just because nothing this important really happens in the Twin Cities very often.

I also plan on going to the protestors with a shirt with a picture of McCain and '08 on the back just to see what they will do. :)

6. aethelbert macrumors 601

Of course, the fun was in MSP. Airport restrooms are big on that kinda stuff.

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Be interesting to see if the GOP is forced to alter their plans for the convention due to hurricane Gustav. That's probably not an optic they want to play up right now. McCain probably doesn't want people reminded of what he was doing 3 years ago today.

BTW, Happy Birthday Senator McCain. 72 candles for your cake this year. Plus one to grow on...

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Or one virgin per year.

9. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Isn't the White House where a former democratic president ejaculated all over an intern's dress:confused:

Don

10. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

First of all, you must have been all of 8 when that happened. Secondly, curiously, which is a greater threat to marriage - an illicit affair or gay sex? Answer carefully.

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Isn't the White House where a former republican president committed crimes resulting in his impending impeachment followed by his resignation in disgrace from office?

12. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Having an affair and blowing your load on an intern's dress, while immoral, is completely legal. Solicitation of prostitution however, is not. That's the difference between Democrats and Republicans. When the Ds have affairs, they're doing it legally.

13. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    Before we get into the disgrace of sodomy laws, I just want to say, this thread was brought to you by the letter "R".

~ CB

14. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Does anybody know if Bush and Cheney are attending?

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

The convention? Yes, they both are speaking on the first night, to then be whisked away (Cheney is going so far as to leave the country) so the GOP can then pretend they do not exist after that first night.

For some reason, the GOP elites don't want either of them around -- at least on camera. Can't imagine why, as they say they are super-proud of them both...

16. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

This surprises me. I would have thought that the McCain campaign people wouldn't want the Bush presidency mentioned, never mind attending, the convention.

17. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

They'd prefer that, but then their would be even more questions about why they are running from Bush. They want to get the Bush/Cheney appearances over as quickly as possible and then get them out of view because while their base support is high, very few outside the GOP dead-enders approve of them.

We'll see if McCain can thread that needle more successfully than Al Gore did in 2000.

18. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Obama is a prostitute, so go figure, you think he'll get arrested?:rolleyes:

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

...and you're usually so subtle.

20. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Sorry, but you know when in rome....

[​IMG]

Prostitute on the left, John on the right

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I have no idea what or whom you are talking about here, but I am pretty sure it's not anything which will raise the level of discourse, help the USA out of the hole it's in, or improve my understanding.

22. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

raise the level of discourse!? here in this forum!!! now that is laughable skunk and you know it.
    I agree that Obama can not lift the US into anything or place I want it to go. As far as your understanding....well that is a personal matter I think.
    But when the first reply to the OP is about prostitution during the RNC I don't see where the level of discourse was ever going to go anywhere but in the toilet (pun intended).

23. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Lets see if the republicans can fill an 85,000-person stadium to capacity.:cool:

EDIT: Not to mention the thousands of ppl outside the stadium.

24. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Do like the Romans?

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Prostitute on the left, John on the right.

25. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Gonna be a lot harder, they will be working.