The Republican Party attracts Millennials with Uber support.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Aug 6, 2014.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

http://techcrunch.com/2014/08/06/the-gop-is-using-support-for-uber-as-a-fundraising-pitch/

The GOP is shrewd to pitch such a tech start-up for their fundraising. There is a strong libertarian streak amongst younger developers, entrepreneurs, and other techies who, while they despise the GOPs social conservatism, may appreciate it's support of business. They certainly aren't going to lose any votes by supporting Uber and they may even pick-up a few.

Me, I like new ideas and new business models no matter who supports them. Although I've never used them, I think Uber is a forward-looking company with a great business model. Only time will tell if they can resist the inevitable government assault.

2. AP_piano295, Aug 6, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014

AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Just got back from a refreshing game of ice hockey somewhere between the 4th and 5th circles of hell and I suddenly find I can support a Republican?!

I'm big supporter of operations like Uber and AirBnB. On the one hand laws and regulations are there for a reason and I'm glad that companies can't sell ground cat as ground chicken.

But some regulation is just there as a barrier to entry to any sort of new entrepreneurs. Can't afford a million dollar cab medallion, well guess you can't be a cabbie then.

**** that let me use mye assets to make a living, marketplaces like AirBnB and Uber are one of very few things leveling the opportunity field between the rich and the poor these days.

P.S.

I'm still not going to give the GOP a hot cent though, they'll try to raise a few hundred bucks from me today and then burn the bridge from under me tomorrow. **** the GOP.

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Uber/lyft/sidecar. Are great apps. Of course unions & taxis are not happy. Some cities are even firkin task forces so they can ticket/tie lyft/uber drivers. Not a fan if the GOP, but I am glad they are getting involved:)

4. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

5. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I would like to see Uber prosper here on this side of the water. The taxi market is so fixed that it's become ridiculously expensive.

6. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

The ridiculous reactions of government to Uber is perhaps one of the few examples of blatant government over-regulation that I can think of. The only possible reason for this undue interference is that governments must be afraid of lost taxes from cab fares. Perhaps this also explains why the train line goes right by the foot of the runway at Edinburgh airport - with a platform there to boot - but trains do not stop there....

7. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

These new services AirBnB, Lyft, Uber basically any service which allows regular citizens to compete with large established industries is going to be getting a lot of flak.

The hotel chains and the teamsters have plenty of political clout and are more than happy to hire an army of lobbyists to protect their business from all you dirty little peons.

But I wouldn't count on the GOP's support in the long term as soon as one of the Hiltons has a quiet word and hands over a unmarked envelope they'll change their tune.

8. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I think we ought to take a step back and think about why some Government regulation of taxi and car service is a good idea.

Without at least some level of regulation/licensing, what assurance do potential passengers have that the person picking them up isn't just an opportunistic robber/murderer? How does the passenger know that the car service has adequate insurance to pay for injuries if there is a crash? How does the passenger know that the vehicle he is about to step into is mechanically sound?

The City Health Department does a reasonably good job in most cities inspecting restaurants and grocery stores to make sure food is prepared and served under conditions of basic hygiene. I don't think its too much to expect that Government regulation and/or licensing can do the same thing for a car service.

Where this issue becomes problematical is where to draw the line between an artificially-created shortage (ie. taxi medallions) and a swarm of under-regulated, potentially dangerous, gypsy cabs.

9. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

sadly that is the way things work with GOVT, same goes for the democrats.

10. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

One is just more blatant about it.

You're right, though.

11. numlock macrumors 68000

im all for breaking up strangleholds but arent we just getting new ones instead with airbnb etc? i dont find the idea that perhaps two software/platform companies will control the the taxi and short term apt rental market very appealing.

12. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

It's exploded in London - everyone I know uses it! Added benefit is that it has really annoyed the Black Cab drivers.

13. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Well, the government cannot use precog's top determine who is going to be a criminal. Your guess is as good as theirs (see for instance this link). Uber allows for feedback from users about a given driver, whereas that is not available in most taxi's. I have been ripped off by enough taxi drivers to know that licensing doesn't mean squat when it comes to the character of the driver.

Presumably all cars are insured and mechanically inspected periodically (in the UK these are legal requirements). Presumably these requirements are sufficient to protect, say, a family using their car to transport kids, let alone an adult.... Nothing prevents a passenger from checking the state of a car before accepting a ride or asking for proof of insurance.

Not to be rude or anything, but your use of 'gypsy' was poorly chosen. In any case, it would be easy to assess whether travelling using Uber is more or less safe than driving by Taxi. Until we have data otherwise, why assume Uber is more dangerous?

14. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

It's much easier to break into the AirBnB / Uber market than it would be to break into the hotel / taxi industry.

If people decide that they don't like AirBnB or Uber as a marketplace than all someone has to do is write new software and make a new marketplace with better terms for its users.

They don't need to build new buildings, buy new cars, they really just need to buy a domain name and write a website / make an app. The necessary capital to get started is practically nil.

AirBnB, and Uber already have competitors. On top of that as someone who hosts on AirBnB there's nothing which stops me listing my place on multiple websites and expanding my market presence.

Hardly a monopoly situation.

15. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Oh really? Next time I go to London I'll need to keep that mind.

Last time I was there was like 10 years ago when I was living in France, I remember the black cabs being very expensive, as well as almost every driver being very rude.

16. numlock macrumors 68000

much easier based on what factual or historical evidence?

in theory sure you can say all you need is some software work. hell you could probably find a wordpress theme but look at the valuation of these two companies even though they dont own the properties and cars.

beating amazon, google maps, fb etc should just be a matter of some code work and tos because you interact with it through software but there is much more to it than that.

i just dont find it appealing that a single company pretty much controls entire markets worldwide be it books, music sales, apt rental, taxi service etc.

17. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

why don't you try signing up for Uber/Lyft/Sidecar & see just what it is needed instead of just complaining?

18. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I look forward to using it in September.:D

19. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I'm well aware of the qualifications required to be a Lyft/Uber/Sidecar driver. I'm also well aware of the total lack of qualifications of a great many unlicensed/informal taxi operators.

That puts a burden on the customer to figure out which are the responsible, qualified, licensed and insured drivers - and who is a cowboy looking to score a few extra dollars.

The point is Uber, Lyft etc. are still essentially totally unregulated. I'm not saying that their business model is bad, or cannot work. I'm simply saying that some level of Government regulation and/or licensing wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, and might go a long way to preventing problems.

20. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Amazon and google maps aren't comparable to AirBnB since those products / services require a massive amount of capital investment to exist. For Amazon to be Amazon they need millions / billions of dollars worth of product, warehouses, distribution contracts, thousands of employees etc.

Google has pain painstakingly collected millions of dollars worth of data in order to make its maps. That's a massive capital investment.

AirBnB by contrast is nothing but a marketplace, they make all of their money through transaction facilitation fees. Anyone could build an almost identical marketplace and have a user base overnight. If they offer a significantly better user interface and better terms for renters and hosts they'd probably blow AirBnB out of the water within a few years.

As for Facebook, do you remember MySpace? Massively popular social networking website, then some college student wrote a different largely similar website and then practically overnight MySpace disappeared and Facebook became the dominant social networking site.

How's that for historical evidence, in the economy of bits the world can change overnight. In the economy of atoms it takes much longer for things to change because everything is very capital intensive.

They don't AirBnB has multiple competitors it's just the most popular because it's got the best user interface and the most options.

Uber and Lift also have lots of competitors, ride sharing, peer to peer car rental etc.

----------

Government regulation and licensing in this country is notoriously complex and difficult to navigate. It's often so complex you need a lawyer to navigate through the most basic of laws. Lawyers are expensive which makes the barrier for entry to opening (even a very small business) prohibitively expensive.

I think when it comes people wanting to operate small businesses we need fewer regulations and more common sense.

21. numlock macrumors 68000

i never said they were comparable in every sense however they are comparable in the sense that they are much more software based than the previous rulers on the market. what they gain by being more software based is that instead of ruling one geographical location their grasp becomes pretty much limitless. how many b&m stores have items for sale in as many countries as amazon?, how many taxi/car services are as spread out as uber? how many hotel chains have rooms available in as many cities and countries as airbnb?

i find you underestimation of the work airbnb and uber have done borderline insulting. where do you think all the money airbnb and uber are raising is going?

in your previous post you mentioned the little capital needed to start an airbnb type service. try lasting a few years to even become a blip on their radar while collecting lower fees and see how that works out. thats if you arent bought out pretty soon (like they did with a competing service in germany).

myspace was never even close to size in every measurable way to what present day facebook is.

uber and lift have each other. who are the competitors for aibnb?

as for your historical evidence question then its not much.

but while this discussion is fine and dandy you seem to be arguing against a point im not really making.

22. VI™ macrumors 6502a

Not to mention in the states, the farther you get from a large city the worse taxi service is. 30-60 minute waits and huge fairs. It's about $20 to get from one side of the city to the next. That's like 10 miles. In fact, I just double checked and for a 7 mile trip from my house to my Girl's it's $17.12.

23. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

A lot of it is going right into their bank accounts (Or more accurately it's probably being re-invested in stocks / bonds etc. What it is emphatically not being used for is going is right back into their own business because they don't need it.

They don't need many more employees, they really don't need much of anything beyond what they've already got. That's whats brilliant about their business model very high profit margin.

Though at the moment they're fighting some significant legal battles. Once those are resolved there will probably be more entrants into the market. AirBnB pays to settle the cases and once the law is clarified other companies will be happy to enter the market.

Why do you think AirBnB couldn't survive with lower fees?

It may not have had the size but it had the relative market dominance.

VRBO
    Home Away

are two off the top of my head, if you cared to do a little searching I'm sure there are others.

Friendster
    Myspace
    Digg

Here's an article about the many marketplaces successfully challenging the eBay throne.

http://www.businessinsider.com/ebay-seller-threat-2013-1

To start a new marketplace is very easy, to start a successful new marketplace you just need to be better (in some way) than your competition.

And you don't need to get successful overnight like you seem to believe. Since costs scale with size it's pretty easy for an Etsy to stay very very small until they actually have some revenue and can self fund their own modest growth.

24. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Do you think that Uber or Lyft (or indeed any internet-enabled commercial car service) is going to make that ride significantly cheaper?

By and large Uber doesn't compete with existing taxi service based on price. Rather they compete based on convenience, availability, and service. Riding in a clean, comfortable late model sedan as opposed of a taxi, which more often than not smells slightly of vomit.

25. VI™ macrumors 6502a

I dunno, I was just mentioning how outrageously expensive it is to travel in a taxi if you're not living in a larger city.