The resistance has begun!!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MadeTheSwitch, Jan 25, 2017.

1. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I have a feeling that the rough go Obama had is going to look like a walk in the park compared to what Trump will have to deal with. And most of it self created blowback... he brought it on himself with the way he went about things. Thus I don't feel too sorry for him.

http://observer.com/2017/01/defy-re...mps-executive-order-hitting-sanctuary-cities/

http://hollywoodlife.com/2017/01/25...-protest-donald-trump-refugee-ban-pics-video/

IMG_1528.JPG

https://mobile.twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/824390305327747072

IMG_1529.JPG
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/25/politics/greenpeace-resist-crane-white-house/index.html

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

3. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

4. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Would be awesome if all Muslim women in America picked a month to actually wear the American flag ...... Trump Supporters would go bananas.

[​IMG]

5. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Yeah, great. You guys are really making a big difference. Yeeeeeeeah! Golf clap.

Now go get a job....

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Yeah because not working on a Saturday means you don't have a job. Do you work Saturdays?

7. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Quite a Trump sized assumption there. :oops:

8. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

They do have jobs. They work 4 hours a week at the co op.

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I hate to break it to you. But most of the protestors probably work pretty hard...

They are the educated elite after all...

10. zin macrumors 6502

11. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Is this sarcasm?

12. Zenithal, Jan 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2017

Zenithal macrumors 68040

Somewhat. It used to be said generations ago that colleges taught liberalism, even socially conservative colleges like Yale, Princeton or Harvard. Hardcore conservatives scoffed at the idea of these liberal schools (in their eyes) and would send their children to conservative colleges, especially ones that were backed by a religion or a church. True blue collar workers find college educated people, even ones working mindless jobs, to be "elitist pricks," so to speak.

It's a very strange issue within America I never quite understood. Plenty of people in trades who make the same as a college educated person or make far more. College was also expensive even all those years ago. During the first half of the 1900s, great schools like the aforementioned generally charged around 200-500 a year which covered tuition, another of the same amount for room and board, and about 50 bucks for books for the entire year. Cheap in today's economy, but very expensive back then.

13. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I think that the idea is that protestors are manipulated by the teaching of the liberal elite.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 26, 2017 ---
    They all look to me peaceful protests, so I don't see a problem with it.
    (Not sure about the crane one, he probably trespassed).

14. Zenithal macrumors 68040

I'd read someone paid to get that crane there and the banner put up. Or a group. I'm going back to bed. I've ate enough goats cheese with crackers during my early morning snack. Anyway, all groups protest. Regardless of the university, university studies do lean towards liberalism and not conservatism.

15. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

No I dont, but they've been protesting nonstop for a lot more than just Saturday. Even so...do they have a life?

16. sim667 macrumors 65816

You know when people call them that its just a code word for "someone who once voluntarily read a book" right?

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Why is this an issue? First amendment?

Or are you jealous.

18. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

In that case, they did a good PR job.
    Enjoy your sleep!

19. RedOrchestra Suspended

WOW . you want Muslim women to show/promote their oppression, injustice, and pure downright second-class citizenry under Islam . here I thought the Women's Day march was supposedly about equality and justice for all . WOW

20. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

What a clickbait post. Well, I'll bite anyway. What's to resist? Above all, a government that dares to suggest "alternative facts" as a way forward in its relationship with the Fourth Estate and the citizenry. An administration being designed on the fly to advance the interests of one Donald Trump, and where they may intersect, the selfish policies of a Republican House of Representatives. The dismantling of consumer protections, of environmental protections, of regulations designed to advance public health, the weakening of the bonds that hold us together as Americans, the casual moves towards destruction of decades of diplomatic, trade and mililtary partnerships and alliances. I'm sure there are more, but that should be enough for anyone to think twice before suggesting there's nothing to resist in the encroachments planned by Trump's administration in the name of "draining the swamp."

21. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

1st amendnment has zero to do with my initial question which was regarding the fact that most of these snowflakes appear to have nothing better to do. Of course, what would you expect from entitled, whiny brats?

Jealous? Of what? The protesting whiners? Yeah, right. :D

22. sim667 macrumors 65816

[​IMG]

What about the Muslim women who choose to wear a head covering, should they not be allowed to?

23. RedOrchestra Suspended

choose ... hmmm ... interesting choice of words.

24. samcraig macrumors P6

Let me explain why your post is not only dismissive, but obtuse. To be fair, you're not the only one posting a variance of "get a life" in regards to protesters/marchers

How do you measure a life? What's of value to you? How do you spend your day? What defines the person you are?

I know people who play hours of video games and others who would say "don't they have a life?"
    Or people that don't go out on a Friday night, but read instead. Others that say "don't they have a life?"
    Some people spend all day on forums arguing with people - don't they have a life?
    Some people take vacations on their time off. Some might choose to use that time to go on a mission, or I don't know - spend time in Washington or elsewhere, marching or protesting.
    and so on.

People are fulfilled by many things. For some, it is activism. Taking a stand for or against causes. "Don't they have a life?" is a statement without any real value. It is of no business of yours to question what or how they are able to do something they want to do. If they were engaging in illegal activity - you could comment on that. They aren't.

25. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Anti-intellectualism goes back a long way in the USA... Hofstadter posited it largely on intersecting interests of politics, religion, business and primary education. I don't know that those account for its genesis but they certainly have supported its longevity. Throw in television and now the internet and double down on ability to dumb down large populations at will. Smartening them up seems more challenging.

The way forward from othe Women's March is about resisting the idea of autocratic government. Anti-intellectualism in the USA has a populist undercurrent that admires "a strong man" at the table. The Women's March asked people to remember the Constitution and its protection of all of us. You don't have to be an elitist to understand that Donald Trump was elected President, not Emperor or King. The Women's March was to remind him of that simple truth. His administration can spin all the "alternative facts" they like about anything, but the truths of the Constitution may pose obstacles to implementation some of Trump's wish list. The resistance is to ensure that in such cases, those obstacles hold steady during Trump's time in the White House.