iPad The Retina iPad Mini is such a gorgeous piece of tech

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Bacong, May 24, 2014.

1. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

it's so light and thin and the display is so bright and beautiful. it feels great to hold and just incredibly premium. loving it so far, obviously.

2. Robster3 macrumors 68000

What colour, model did you get. Thinking of trading my Air for LTE mini. Did you compare the 2?

3. Bacong thread starter macrumors 68000

Bacong

Silver 16gb wifi.

4. plinktog macrumors newbie

I had an Air and Retina Mini at the same time for a few weeks. I gave the Air to my wife as I wasn't using it. The only use I would have for it is reading A4 PDF documents, which would still be a bit tight on the Mini.

In other respects, the Mini wins hands down: it's easier to hold and use. But the killer feature is it just fits into my jacket pockets so I don't have to carry it.

5. encryptron macrumors newbie

encryptron

I love my mini w/retina! I use it for browsing, reading books and YouTube. Also email calendar etc... It's a great little tool!

6. divergirl, May 25, 2014
    Last edited: May 25, 2014

divergirl macrumors regular

I love everything about mine so far EXCEPT for the speakers. They have incredible clarity and nothing ever sounds distorted, but mine are so quiet! I have to have them at 80% volume when watching stuff alone in a quiet room, which makes them pretty unusable in any other kind of situation for me. And when my Mini is in my bag and I'm out and about places I often won't hear notifications due to the low volume of the speakers.

But oh my gosh the screen! And the design! And… EVERYTHING! What a drool-worthy device. And I take it with me everywhere, something I doubt I would do with a full-sized iPad. Oh and the battery life! I'm able to use mine heavily and still only need to charge it once per day, unlike my iPhone which I often needed to charge twice per day with my typical usage. Not needing to put it on the charger until I go to bed at night is a HUGE plus for me!

7. AlabamaSlammer macrumors 6502

AlabamaSlammer

While I do agree with you about it being a nice piece of tech, I have to agree with divergirl. If Apple would put some front firing speakers on the mini and air it would be ALMOST perfect..

8. psac macrumors 6502a

psac

Jumping on the "I agree" bandwagon. I knew I'd like my rMini, I didn't realize how much I would LOVE my rMini!! :D. Even better than I imagined.

9. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I sold my Air to get a Mini.

I loved the Air, but I found that I wasn't using it outside the house much. I loved the size of the original Mini when I bought one for my wife, but the screen bothered me. Now that I have switched to the rMini I take it almost everywhere. I also mount it in my car for music and Waze. This week I also replaced my notepad at work with my iPad and a stylus.

10. Bacong thread starter macrumors 68000

Bacong

11. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Adding to the "Almost Perfect" moniker, the only other thing is the retina mini's screen isn't nearly as bright as the iPad Air's screen. If it matched the brightness of the iPad Air then I would say the mini is almost perfect.

12. bnekic macrumors 6502a

bnekic

Same here just got my rMini a couple days ago, sold my Air on eBay. I'm definitely happy with my decision!

13. Bacong thread starter macrumors 68000

Bacong

after using this for a few days I can't imagine wanting a tablet larger than this.... I'd even prefer the mini to be even smaller, maybe 7 inches.

14. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

I bet you say that to all tablets. ;)

15. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

The screen size on the mini is about the smallest I would like on a tablet.

16. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I stopped using my. Nexus 7 after buying the original mini last summer. I then sold the mini to buy the. Retina Mini last December and also have an Air. I would not want to live without both.

The Nexus 7 just sits here plugged into the charger doing nothing. It's display is just too small now and awkward.

17. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Just a little too small. Oh wait, the Air takes care of that problem. :D

18. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

I own both, but the rMini is my go-to device. Really looking forward to upgrading to TouchID, LTE and the 128GB option.

It'll be my defacto computing device.....as if I don't already use it enough. :D

19. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Yep. Air is better for games and movies/video. Better speaker, better color gamut, and the best part? Shopped and waited for a sale. A 32kb for basically the same price as 16gb Mini retina. :D

20. FatPuppy macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

A 32kb?? Good for you!

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Agreed, its a great machine and one that I continually use. I'm very happy to get it and the LTE flavor to boot which increases its usefulness for me.

22. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

Haha! I almost had milk come out my nose after reading this. Love the sarcasm!

23. FatPuppy macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

Thank you, it's my second language.:cool:

24. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

For me, the form factor of the mini is perfect. With a 4:3 aspect ratio and 7.9 inch screen, it's just small enough to slip into a jacket pocket while being just large enough (for me) to read pdf's comfortably. On top of that, it's so sleek and thin. With it's form factor, the mini is what first convinced me to get a tablet.