The right laptop for me, Student/Video Editer - Coreduo/i5/i7

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Hakimm, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Hakimm macrumors member

Im considering buying a macbook, currently studying but have recently have gotten some kind of work as part of a photography company (photography and video.) So typical use will be final cut, photoshop, emails and other trivial things.

As this company is located about 10miles or so away i will have to commute by either bike or train or both which has ruled out the use of a 17inc MBP.

i plan on buying a 24 inc Mac monitor for use at home and connect whatever laptop i buy up to it. The actual laptop i am left clueless about, I will be trying to buy the best spec'd laptop i can either being 15 or 13, but it seems they do not feature i5 or i7 on the 13inc, is it worth buying a 15inc solely for the upgraded cpu even if i will be getting the maxed out 13 inch (8GB etc..)

Also im still unsure, would the cpu makes things run faster?

Also has anyone heard anything about them making i5 and i7 processes for the 13inc?

2. jwheeler macrumors regular

I have the i7. Today I re-encoded some HD iMovie videos that took well over 1/2 hour on a White Macbook C2D (2GHz). They took roughly 4 mins. So I'm happy.

Highly doubt there will be anything in the next 3 months or so. But you might as well wait till the WWDC is over (one weeks time) to see if anything comes of it. There might be a new MacBook Air, which is 13" and crazy thin.

Wait and see :p

3. Hakimm thread starter macrumors member

Yeah i mean the macbook is obviously the most portable but it just doesnt hit the mark with the specs.

How do you find travelling with 15inc?

4. iPhysicist macrumors 65816

iPhysicist

So you state that your 2.66GHz i7 is more than 6 times faster than the 2GHz Core Duo?