The Right Wing On Campus

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by SMM, Aug 20, 2007.

1. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

This is a story I found very disturbing - but it explains a lot.

It is dated in March, and some may have seen it.

2. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Seems to me that those folks are bitter that there are some college students that *gasp* aren't liberal.

3. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

To be honest, I hate the terms liberal and conservative. They are basically stereotypes when you think about it. I'm fairly certain that if we were able to find out the beliefs of the American people, that it would look much like a "bell curve" where the majority of americans fall in the middle.

Going off of this stereotype though, what bugs me about "conservatives" is the narrow focus. College campuses I think have a reputation of producing "liberal" people because they learn a lot about the world they live in. Not that "conservatives" don't know anything about the rest of the world, but like I said, they appear to be focused much more on themselves.

4. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Rest assured, I'm diligently working to correct that.

5. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

in my undergrad years, i spent them at a very liberal campus and a politically neutral campus

in grad school in the bay area, my school boasted the most corporate managers of any school in the region and thus the school was very pro "business" and very "conservative", unlike any school i had seen or heard of in california

being a liberal, i sometimes found myself way out of step with the majority of the students who were already pretty far up the corporate ladder and any clubs the school had were accounting clubs, finance clubs, and business entrepreneur clubs...no fraternities and no sports teams except for the san jose sharks which the alums started to...you guessed it, to make money, and the local watering hole for the school was a place where all the men sported ties and rolexes

i kind of got the feeling around the alums like it was something from the movie "the skulls" and b-school grads were referred to as the university's "mafia" as a tongue in cheek reference to a sort of good old boys network

i did go to some alumni events and i could tell when i pulled up to them because there were so many posh cars...and the main topic of conversation was money, of course

and nobody drank beer, for god's sake, it was high end wine...the yuppie stuff and something you would expect rove and bush to drink after a long day at the white house :)

in the end, i did get a good education, and it made me realize i was a true liberal, but one who could still mingle and be cordial with business blue bloods...and i made some good friends, too

6. SMM thread starter macrumors 65816

SMM

You sir, lack anything credible to substantiate anything that "...seems to YOU". However, I do like the way you were able to get your driver's license picture on your Tar. Very nice!

7. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

*gasp* it's amazing these college students can't see they're merely pawns for their corporate masters!

The 60s left movement was very much grass roots. This movement by the right has been pushing and prodding from the boardrooms of corporate America. It's amazing that you could even hold your head up knowing that you're being bought and sold based on some Madison Avenue ad campaign.

8. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

first of all, I AM A LIBERAL, i voted for clinton-gore twice, kerry, and i will cast my vote for obama

but guys, stop picking on ham-man!

corporations not only take their future workers from high schools, but also from colleges, so what is the big deal?

when i was in high school, coca-cola sponsored a fun event...is that evil? the rival high school has a mcdonald's on it...so what?

and for my unnamed university, due to the hostility to corporate america from this thread, should my university thus ban the alums who went on to become ceo of bank of america, raytheon, silicon graphics, president of microsoft, and chief of staff of the united states air force? and yes, my guess is that they are more likely to be republicans or at the very least very conservative democrats

for many years, our university was the chief educator of senior air force officers on the west coast...wouldn't you want one of the nation's branches of service to have their colonels and generals to have a master's degree, or should we just get anybody off the street to protect our skies? i believe the more educated our generals are, the less likely they are to charge into battle since history and logistics (ops mgt) are likely to be taught

somewhere along the line, bush ignored all history and military management and rode into iraq with his lame duck horse and a six shooter not quite full with bullets and now look at the quagmire we are in (but that's another thread)

these university alums from my school, especially the prominent corporate ones, give a lot of money to the school, and yes, are asked to speak at functions and are a very integral part of the school's alumni

and they are not trying to make us into nixon's "president's men" :)

9. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

"How much has the right wing invested in this project?

A dozen right-wing institutions have spent nearly $40 million each year over the last 30 years."

Golly, for that much money, they could have just bought an annual superbowl ad!

10. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

So if it's right wing propaganda being propagated that makes students pawns, but if it's left wing propaganda being propagate that makes students enlightened? Why not just encourage people to think for themselves and make up their own minds instead of trying to limit them by saying "their agenda is bad so don't pay attention to them, but our agenda is good so pay attention to us." This kind of "us vs. them" attitude makes things worse not better and demeaning people isn't a way to have a worthwhile discussion (don't people here like to trash neocons for using tactics like that?).

I think the most interesting part of the article was the end because in spite of "the right wing being on campus" students are still speaking out/protesting against "the machine" and I think the roughly equal split of of Rs and Ds going into college stays roughly the same once they get out. The last 20 years of presidential elections haven't exactly been landslide victories for the Republicans. A one termer, a two term Democrat, and a by-the-skin-of-his-teeth two termer in Bush (and most likely a Dem president next).

I think there is definitely a potential for conflict of interest when outside groups or companies give money to schools, but it's the responsibility of the administrators of those schools to make sure everything that is done is done in the best interests of the students and their education. This is a similar situation to newspapers selling ad space, IMO. I'm note going to get mad at Coke for putting in a full page ad in the paper, but if the paper gives Coke favorable coverage because of that ad I will get mad at the paper.

Lethal

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I know an awful lot of the top GOP operatives rise from the ranks of College Republicans, but I don't recall hearing much about College Democrats taking leading roles in the party. Has that happened often?

12. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

time out here

can anybody identify the blond haired lady on the cover of fortune magazine?

13. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Damn, I was hoping it was Naomi Watts.

14. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

it's hillary, of course, and usually wall street is pro republican, unless they really know the gop does not stand a chance, and in that case, they back the democrat the way they did with bill in '92 and '96, and the way they are with mrs. clinton for '08

wall street is certainly not behind obama, and definitely not behind any of the lackluster republicans

if i were a major ceo, which i am not, i would back both sides to cover my butt....just look at rupert murdoch who backed hillary when he knew she was going to be senator again

it's no exaggeration when some third party types think that the dems and gop are cozy with wall street...he he...but i think the gop is a little more cozy with big business

15. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Don't forget the movements LSD and speed roots......:eek::D

16. SMM thread starter macrumors 65816

SMM

Yes Ugg, the 60's and 70's political movements on campus were very much grassroots. I was a Poly Sci major at San Diego State. I would rate it as moderate. I had friends up at Berkley. It was definitely liberal. USC was the home of future republicans. I think the school's political climate were largely influenced by the composition of the student body.

It is important for schools to teach, but not limit education to self-serving dogma. Universities have long been known as the home of liberalism. They also can become the center of dissent. I definitely feel we need new thinkers, artists, activists, environmentalists, social workers, writers, etc., to lead us into the new millennium. We are not going to achieve that if we castrate their desire to learn.

17. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

i can't really imagine a full fledged university, usc, being conservative...think of all the majors...math, business, biology, english, social work, physics, etc

i can see a good percentage of the student body being upper middle class or rich, however, but that wouldn't automatically make that student a republican

now my school, who i won't mention, was mostly a one trick pony with 80% percent being business majors...the remaining 20% percent were law students and very liberal, so overall the balance of the school was very right wing

i could imagine maybe a theological university, with christianity being the only "major", being just as heavily conservative, but more in a socially conservative sense

but it's the business school only type of university who is lockstep with big corporations

i remember sitting in class listen to students who thought that outsourcing to china and india was a great idea, and the trend to follow, and that a good cost cutting measure was to fire american employees...i sat there while my blood boiled

the right wing business school students, who was almost everybody, called the outsourcing thing as "remaining competitive" and protecting the "bottom line"

i only saw these right wing ideas as shortsightedness that would get us into trouble in the future, but any mention of my ideas, which only a few fellow students shared, sounded like foolishness to the majority

i wish i could go back in time 12 years and say, "i told you so" and give them a glimpse of what the reality is today...i bet of lot of mbas did not get in on the gold rush of outsourcing

what will happen is that a percent or two in america will get very rich while the middle class vanishes and much of our wealth will be pumped into china, india, and mexico

what empire (business empire) america once had will be gone, done in by greed, which did all empires in

EDIT/CORRECTION: i spent some time actually trying to find a non all business university or non theological university that had a reputation for republicanism/right wing emphasis and the only one that showed up on my search was was claremont mckenna college and they don't focus only on business like some republican universities do, or only on christian theology like other republican universities do, but are a multi-disciplined liberal arts college

that school is a rare exception being both conservative/republican and multi-disciplinary

18. TimJim macrumors 6502a

19. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

are you referring to me :)

i am a democrat, a liberal as i have mentioned earlier

but some liberals attack conservatives unfairly

half of america are republicans, or just under half last time i heard from the cnns and fox networks out there

when i was born, a long time ago, only a third of americans were republicans so there has been a shift...but things will swing back and the dems will reclaim ground and 2006 was the start of that movement

mrs. clinton is probably going to win...even helms' and lott's advisor said so...and mentioned that the gop is focusing their firepower on senate and house seats for 2008

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Hmm- where I went to college back in the 80's, it was probably 80% ultra right wing and it was a state school. It was scary if you were in any way different than everybody else, African American folks were scared s***less there. God forbid if you were gay- then you were basically everything-that-is-wrong-with-the-world. Funny how things don't change all that much, isn't it? ;)

21. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

hi lee,

jefhatfield here

you know from my seven years of posts here that i am 99% percent in agreement with you, especially on political stuff

but what school did you go to that was a state school and republican? i spent a lot of time researching for a "multi-disciplinary" or "ordinary" college or university with an overwhelming republican presence and they are as rare as hen's teeth

there are many "republican" counties in the south with a liberal oasis in the middle which usually tends to be a university...athens, GA with it's college presence is a well known example, so is austin, texas

from a previous post, i found claremont mckenna, a multi-disciplinary school to be rumored to be "mostly" republican, but not overwhelmingly so like a business only school or theology only school (but some famous theological schools, yale and harvard, are more neutral, and even liberal according to some fundamentalists) :)

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'll give you three hints, it's in northwest Ohio, but not in Toledo and there's lots of cornfields. Come on Jeff, I'm not gonna make it easy for you. :) Trust me, that place was wacky. Reagan came to campus and you'd have thought it was the Second Coming.

23. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

lee,

jef here again

ohio, are you freakin' kidding

that's a battle ground state not any different historically than penn or nj

it was ohio that put clinton over the top in '92...and kerry was close to taking that state and if he did, we would have him

the ohio university?

ohio state?

who? i am curious now

my guess is two things:

the republicans were a vocal minority

any president would make people come up to see him, just out of curiousity

24. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

yes we're all in danger from right-wing groups infiltrating college campuses...

In related news, The New York Times endorsed all of Bush's judicial appointments, Barack Obama called for Cap Gains tax reductions, and the Democratic Party offered a real alternative to anything Bush wants.

25. mozmac macrumors 6502

mozmac

You hit it right on about the stereotypes. Most politicians are moving towards that bell-curve already. Even though they must still choose a party, they do things that appeal to both sides (at least during elections). And why shouldn't they? America is the most diverse country in the world, so why is it that we try to divide ourselves into two categories? I think it'd be great it smaller political parties gained steam and actually stood a chance against Dems and Reps. When's the last time a Whig was elected? Early 1900s?

We need to vote for the person that will make the best decisions for Americans, not their party. We tried to have two different countries 150 years ago, and it didn't work.

As for me, I lean more on the conservative side of things, but am one of those people stuck in the middle of the bell curve. I vote Republican most of the time, but listen to both sides of every debate and will vote for whoever I feel best represents my beliefs and the future of America. I attend probably the most conservative university in America, maybe the world. Brigham Young University "the Mormon school" where many people don't even know how to have a political debate in class, because they don't know why they're Republican. "He questioned President Bush. Can you do that?" Things are getting better, and many of the students have their heads on straight, but it's sad to see so many students casting their votes (like many Dems do, too) for their party's candidate just because that's what they've grown up with.