The Rise and Expansion of iOS: Good for iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Disclaimer: This question is based on the speculation of the future of iOS. The discussions here should remain hypothetical.

iOS is only getting larger and more powerful. This can only mean good things for the iPhone, right? I hope so.

Long before the announcement of the iPad I knew (as much as anyone could really know) that the "apple tablet" was going to run at least some hybrid version of iOS (then iPhone OS) if not iOS in its entirety. I knew this could only mean great things for the future of the iPhone and iOS. The more attention iOS got, plus the amount of versatility and functionality it would now need (with the apple tablet) should make upgrades more frequent, or at least more substantial. Logically a phone requires less functionality than a tablet computer, so their would be more pressure to update the iPad which should let functionality trickle down to the iPhone. Multitasking IMO is an example of something that had increased pressure due to the presence of the iPad. Now there is wild speculation about iOS soon appearing on Apple TV. After the announcement of the iPad there were rumors of a 22" touchscreen iMac, most likely running iOS. There is that 3x3cm touchscreen we saw (iWatch, iPod shuffle, iPod nano?) most likely on iOS. The future is in touch, and the iOS is leading the way for Apple. This phenomenal success with iOS can only propel the iPhone into the future in leaps and bounds.

Right? :confused:

Possibly.

Or do you think it could lead to the Android-like "fragmentation" of iOS. Could - in an effort to build one OS for the iPhone, iPod Touch, Apple TV, iMac, iWatch, iPad, iPod nano/shuffle - iOS become too bloated, too segmented and too diverse for all of the individual pieces? I just started thinking, "What do a phone's OS and one for Apple TV have in common..." and in my eyes they seem too distinct, with different purposes to really have such a positive effect on each other. Could this continue as Apple tries to slap iOS on anything it can find to make it sell? Apple found a winner in iOS, but will Apple choke the life out of it?

I began pondering the implications of this and thought it could make for a good discussion. Sorry for the long winded post. So what do YOU think?

2. walangij macrumors 6502

I think your concerns are very valid. But I don't see iOS fragmenting like Android. Although many different devices may employ a version of iOS in the future, there will be a consistency between them and also a much more focused development on both Hardware and software to keep any sort of fragmentation unified, unlike the way that the open-handset alliance is handling fragmentation in the android platform currently.

3. draz macrumors 6502a

I think the iPhone and iPod Touch will remain 'together' when it comes to iOS updates. The iPad however, even though they may be very similar, I think will be separate

And the others I think will be separate offering their own unique features that the device has as it would be no point in offering a "one-stop solution that works on all Apple devices" as that isn't going to work.

Although I do believe Apple will be making some 'popular' features available across all devices eventually such as what Apple has done with iPad OS 3.2 and the iOS 4.0, taken some popular features of 3.2 and stuff them into 4.0. And the upcoming iPad update this fall where they bring iOS 4 to the iPad.

But who knows (besides Apple) :rolleyes:

It won't be as bad as Android though. But very manageable in a good way.

4. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I agree with you, I think that hardware/software integration is key. I just hope the attention won't be drawn too much away from the iphone and onto Apple TV and other future iOS counterparts