The Rise of the Global Elite

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Huntn, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

The American Dream is alive and well for big business and wealthy individuals a small minority of U.S. citizens. For average American it's dieing. It could be dieing for average people around the world. Let the Republican Party tell you that premise is a liberal lie while they do their dirty work in the background.

The guest was Alan Greenspan on Meet the Press, a Sunday morning program on NBC.

Read more here: The Rise of the Global Elite- Atlantic Magazine.

2. Huntn, Feb 23, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2011

Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

This goes back to my original argument- how much money do you need to live a good life? Does freedom mean, you live like a king while those less successful grovel? Should there be any individual limits placed on an economic system? This is probably before most of your times, but there was a time in the U.S. where the top tax bracket was up around 70%. Since the 1960's tax rates on the wealthy have dropped dramatically because 'it was not fair'. Who the hell says it's not fair? Why your local Republican who acts as the enabler for the wealthy.

CBO Provides New Evidence That the 2001 and 2003 Tax Cuts Have Only Modest Economic Effects And Do Not Pay For Themselves . So who pays for this? Not the people who can afford it, but the people who can't afford it.

3. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

You know why this bullcrap will never gain traction? Because the majority of Americans are sitting in their nice comfortable small middle-class suburban homes living comfortably, healthily, freely, and safely. They're happy with their lives, they're comfortable where they are. They know as a fact that the world isn't split into two camps (evil rich and poor) because they're neither, and because they know rich people and none of them are evil. They're kind people who provide their communities with jobs, opportunities, and charitable giving. Heck, even the poor know how good they've got it with their refridgerators, satellite tv, cell phones, air conditioning, etc. All conveniences they didn't have 100 years ago. Frankly, your message of an evil ruling elite who steal from the poor, just plain doesn't ring true to reality. And thankfully, most of these people realize that the opportunity for wealth is something they don't want to lose, and the prosperity of others doesn't work to their personal detriment, but rather helps them personally. Sorry. :eek:

4. Huntn, Feb 23, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2011

Huntn

It's so appropriate that you are the first to denounce and I don't think you are sorry at all. :) If you have no awareness, the Middle Class has shrunk dramatically in the last 50 years. The trend is indisputable. The reality is that a healthy Middle Class can't coexist with fabulously wealthy elite. You must take away from average citizens to feed the wealthy. It's that simple. The debate becomes is it moral?

So the majority of American's are living the good life? You may think that, but what in that article do you dispute regarding the global elite- is it all fabricated to feed a liberal audience?

5. Huntn, Feb 24, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2011

Huntn

Just how much loyalty is there to home grown workers? Think about it.

6. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

Hi, the 80's called: they want their blindfold back.

7. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure that the majority of Americans who have had to buy homes in the last five or so years are sitting in middle-class suburban homes.

8. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Anyone have a good link/chart for number of exported U.S. jobs? I've misplaced mine. I did find an article that states:

I don't know how many of those jobs would be considered exported.

9. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This one is spending by the Chamber of Commerce in districts where their pro-outsourcing policies have resulted in over 1M job losses.
    [​IMG]

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

11. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

History certainly doesn't bear that out:

Link

I don't have a source that says this specifically, but I was talking with my dad the other day and he was saying how in business school when they were doing economic modeling, an increasing income gap was the biggest cause of social unrest. It didn't matter what the income gap was to begin with, but if it was increasing, it caused social unrest.

12. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I bet people were writing and talking about this since the dawn of civilization. There's nothing to be scared about. The world isn't going to come to an end.

13. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

But sure many did lose their jobs, then homes, and credit score.

So while we can get all the goodies that 5P talked about, many people are still a paycheck away from disaster and are still in very high debt.

We just got used having debt being part of "life".

14. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

15. Huntn, Feb 24, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2011

Huntn

Thanks much for posting this! :) :(

Again, I'll repeat, anyone here besides Fivepoint think the business elite have any loyalty to home grown workers? I'm sure this can happen in any developed country. Send those jobs to Asia, Mexico, India, where ever workers can undercut local wages. I remember in the 1970's globalization was painted as a good thing. Low cost jobs go overseas and high paying jobs stay at home- wrong, Wrong, WRONG. If the job can be accomplished somewhere else less expensive, it will go there, especially if it is manufacturing and there are no local environmental regulations to speak of. This is why environmental tariffs are sorely needed. Just one way to help level the trade playing field.

16. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

We're sorry, but this has become disconnected.

(rings again)

You know why this stuff is gaining traction? Because if they still have a home, more and more Americans are sitting in them realizing they can pay the gas bill or the light bill this month. They're hoping that they'll still have health care next year. They wonder how, when the refrigerator or the air conditioning goes, they're going to possibly be able to replace it. They're getting their satellite TV cancelled and their internet dropped because they simply can't afford it anymore. They're increasingly anxious because they watch their world getting divided into the haves and the have-nots. They see the opportunity for a simple, comfortable lifestyle slipping away because more than ever before the specter of their jobs being axed is hanging like the sword of Damocles over their heads. They're watching the rich get richer and wondering why they're working harder yet not sharing in that prosperity.

And then some of them go out and vote conservative.

17. pdham macrumors member

It is certainly valid thtat many jobs get outsource, however the number is not as staggering if you consider both sides of the equation. The difference between US foreign direct investment outflows is typicall only about 10% higher than FDI inflows. In other words, if US companies invest $200 billion per year in moving operations to foreign companies; foreign companies are investing about $180 billion in setting up operations in the US. The last two years have been more out of whack because most developing countries had better investment environments than the US.

If you want detailed info check out the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development website on FDI. They have tons of data.

18. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Does it make any sense that so many rank and file citizens support the Republican agenda, that of enriching the rich? Maybe this quote is a clue:

"Someday maybe I'll be a billionaire so I'll be damned if you are going to take that chance from me no matter how slight it might be."

19. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

The biggest problem is not the growth of the wealthy, but the stagnation of the middle class, which helped lead to our current economic predicament as middle-class families used credit cards and second mortgages to keep up even as their wages did not. Of course, while the middle-class treaded water, the wealthiest were able to gain huge advantages because of the growth of the stock-market, not to mention all those paper profits driven by derivatives and credit-default swaps.

[​IMG]

A rising tide should lift all boats, but we have a bunch of people chained to the bottom of the bay and acknowledging such a fact shouldn't be a culture fight, but rather we need a serious acknowledgement about how economic policy may be keeping the middle and lower classes from gaining.

20. 184550 Guest

21. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

those darn Vanderbilts ... look what they started

22. Huntn, Feb 25, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2011

Huntn

Thanks for the charts. It's a well known fact that it is a healthy middle class that powers the economy. But I think the powerful business elites see the world as their market place. Saying this from an average U.S. Citizen viewpoint, they don't need the Middle Class to make money so screw'm (the average citizen). Like it or not the government is the only thing standing up for citizens or giving large multi-national corporations free reign.

Here is the conclusion:

23. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Who gives a damn about % of wealth one group has over another. Why not pay attention to things that actually matter? Stop fixitating in irrelevant data measuring the Rate of improvement in all quintiles, start focusing on whether or not all groups are improving or getting worse.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

You must have quite a collection of unsourced and uncited graphs on your hard drive. You post several in every PRSI thread.

25. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

So, the poor and the middle class are stagnant, and the wealthy are improving dramatically, all while things get more expensive. Great! Thanks for proving a point you didn't intend. Then again, it's hard to prove a point that isn't true, but if you need help, your friends in the Republican party are pretty good at it. Try gop.com (which by the way redirects to an anti-union - donations page).