The RNC Convention thread

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, it's getting off to a rousing start. Isaac has forced the cancellation of Monday's schedule. Well, not exactly "cancellation". The leadership is going to convene, move to recess, and then leave. You know, sort of like how they do it in Congress.

I love the daily themes (as originally planned):

• Monday: We Can Do Better
    • Tuesday: We Built That
    • Wednesday: We Can Change It
    • Thursday: We Believe in America
    Hmm. The use of the word "we" in Tuesday's theme is a little strange. Isn't that the point Obama was trying to make?

I also notice two of the themes begin with the words "We can". Sounds familiar...yes? ;)

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Personally, I'm looking forward to Jon Stewart's take on Tuesday's theme, We Built That. Will be rich given they are holding their convention in a venue built largely with public funds and their featured speaker, Sher Valenzuela, a small busness-woman, whose business has received $17 million in government loans and contracts.

We built that.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/24/sher-valenzuela-we-built-it_n_1828847.html

3. Huntn, Aug 26, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2012

Huntn Suspended

Huntn

I saw both Al Sharpton and Mike Huckabee at a NYC airport yesterday briefly chit chatting with each other. Both seemed to be headed for Florida. :)

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

If Pat Robertson says an earthquake in San Francisco is a message from god that he hates gay people, then I say a hurricane hitting the RNC is a message from god saying that he hates republicans. Wasn't the 2008 RNC cut short due to a hurricane?

5. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

It's a well known fact that God lets his feelings be known through natural calamities.

6. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Saw Rience Priebus on CNN, where he explained that safety concerns were the main reason for delaying the convention -- travelers coming in during high winds, especially over bridges, what happens if the weather worsens while the convention center is packed with people, etc. Makes sense, even for Priebus (a spinmeister whose name in Latin means pretentious runt. I wouldn't discount, however, fear of having the power go out during prime time coverage. ;)

(OMG -- watching extended interview with Jeb Bush on Meet the Press, and while I don't agree with everything he says, the guy is articulate, reasonable, and actually makes sense. So unlike his brother.)

7. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

8. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Apparently the irony is too subtle for hard-core party faithful.

9. vega07 macrumors 65816

The entire theme is pathetic. I feel sorry for the republicans who realize this fact. They must feel so embarrassed.

10. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Let's play a game called "How much ignorance can we squeeze in one room?!"

11. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Actually, take all the vowels out of Rience Priebus and see what you are left with. Truth is stranger then fiction sometimes....and sometimes there is a hidden truth in things:

Attached Files:

12. AhmedFaisal Guest

There was a theory that Senior actually had wanted Jeb to run and George to stay out of politics altogether. As for Jeb being articulate, it's easy to play elder statesman when you've got nothing on the line. I would have more respect for him if he had sung that same tune while in office. At least Clinton is consistent.

And the meaning of Priebus name just made my otherwise horrible day.

13. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

By articulate, though, I mean the guy can actually put together coherent sentences -- something that W had trouble with. Every time ol' George opened his mouth, he came across as the slow kid in class.

Meanwhile...

Without a hint of irony indeed. :D Well, no one every accused The Donald of being capable of self-perception.

The Dems are coming under attack from the Republicans for running a "mean" campaign, which is hilarious, but the best retort I've seen was in a tweet someone sent to Time Magazine: "Republicans hate it when other people beat them at their own game." :p

14. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

If there was any justice, doing so would create a singularity.

15. vega07 macrumors 65816

Sorry but I have to wonder out loud: I don't understand how the Republicans can fight so dirty, refuse to acknowledge it, and blame the Democrats for playing dirty, when in reality, the Democrats haven't been fighting as dirty as the Republicans.

My brain hurt just typing down that thought.

Honestly, there will never be enough words to describe the Republicans.

I will pray tonight for our political environment to become tame sooner than later. :D

16. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

17. vega07 macrumors 65816

18. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

They are just paying lip service... sorry, could not help myself.

19. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

They had to leave early to take a nap....they were bushed.

20. vega07 macrumors 65816

I see what you did there... :D

21. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

22. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

It's called projecting. Something that the Republicans are very good at. Like when an "anti-gay" Republican who has voted against every gay rights bill ever presented, turns out to be gay themselves. Usually caught with a rent boy, or in a public bathroom somewhere. Hypocrisy and the Republican party go hand in hand these days.

23. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

They actually whine when the opposition adopts their tactics and cry about it being unfair? Pussies! ;) More evidence: Just look at the participants in this cycle's GOP Presidential Primary, lol.

24. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Just as an aside...

I understand the Republicans are planning on doing a Ron Paul tribute during the convention. I guess it's their way of throwing him a bone.

And yet Ron Paul has been critical of the GOP this week, refusing to agree to their speaking rules and even going so far as to say that he doesn't fully endorse Mitt Romney for president.

Gonna be a lit-tle awkward.

And today on one of MSNBC's opinion shows, they came up with a great sobriquet for Ron Paul's followers. They called them Paulbearers.