The Russian reset: an insiders view

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jerwin, May 12, 2018.

1. jerwin macrumors 68020

Obama's ambassador to Russia describes the rather sudden change of mood after Putin took over from Medvedev. I thought it relevant, since the Trump apologist crowd likes to bring up Obama's conciliatory approach....

The smear that killed the ‘reset’

It's in the Washington Post, so you may need to use Private Browsing..

2. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

Whew!

Was worried the sky wasn’t going to fall again today. Thanks for posting.

3. 0007776 Suspended

I’ve posted a few articles giving explanations for why things changed, but they always get ignored or dismissed by the Trump worshipers. I’d expect the same to happen here.

4. IWantItThatWay, May 13, 2018
    Last edited: May 13, 2018

IWantItThatWay Suspended

I love this revisionist history, as if Obama didn't slobber Putin as well.

I love Democrats trying so hard to rewrite history - it's their specialty after all.
    --- Post Merged, May 13, 2018 ---
    An example:

Funny, because after the election Democrats were even MORE pro-Putin and Russia than before. Examples:

I love how that stupid, arrogant, racist, piece of crap, pure evil, immoral, lying, etc. etc. (I could go on and on) tells Romney "I know you haven't had time to execute foreign policy. But every time you offer an opinion you've been wrong."

Obama may be the most arrogant thing in the history of the planet.

- The New York Times September 2012 archive.is/IsUS9

This was written JUNE of 2012, 3 months after the election:

- Secretary of State Hillary Clinton https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702303836404577475061208876588

I also love how McFaul is pretending Obama came to his rescue and hit Medvedev with his purse:

LOL in reality he was telling Medvedev he'll be "more flexible after the election."

5. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

There's a difference between slobbering (Obama) and [just use your imagination] (Trump).

6. IWantItThatWay Suspended

Obama was far more pro-Russia in 2012 than Trump was in 2016.

7. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

No, he just knew what diplomacy means. Not that you’d understand (or even want to understand).

8. IWantItThatWay Suspended

I love how Democrats are trying to pretend Obama and the Dems weren't relentlessly pro-Russia in 2012. I even showed you a video of Obama saying to Romney "I know you haven't had much of a chance to execute of foreign policy, but every time you've shared an opinion you've been wrong." Of course, Obama is the most arrogant, egotistical, and conceited man to run for office so this type of arrogance doesn't surprise me.

Also, not a good explanation because after the Crimea invasion Obama said Russia was a "regional power" that was "acting out of weakness" and that he was more worried about a lone wolf nuke attack in the middle of Manhattan than Russia.

So what's up with that?

9. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Man, from a country where journalists who report on the misdeeds of their government die or get thrown in jail, you choose to get your news from the state agency.... to put it mildly using a euphemism, I think you just like “a strong leader”.

10. IWantItThatWay Suspended

Of the people Putin has allegedly killed for being political opponents, almost ALL are pre-2014:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...or-in-suspicious-ways/?utm_term=.97c6de4aa1c8

In fact, most of them seem to be from 2006 and 2009 - right after the invasion of Georgia.

So how come Obama didn't get criticized for this but Trump did?

Almost as if there's a witch hunt going on.

11. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

I really do appreciate the Pravda News Clippings. :)

12. IWantItThatWay Suspended

- The Democrats - https://twitter.com/thedemocrats/status/260497619862835201

13. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

14. IWantItThatWay Suspended

What's the significance of the date again? Tell me why it should matter?

Did Pravda not exist in 2012?
    --- Post Merged, May 13, 2018 ---

Holy crap the arrogance of this video is ASTOUNDING.

This is why I can't take the Democrats seriously.

15. CaptMurdock Suspended

CaptMurdock

[​IMG]

16. jerwin thread starter macrumors 68020

Such a record cannot even be played, much less repeat itself.

DYING METAPHORS. A newly invented metaphor assists thought by evoking a visual image, while on the other hand a metaphor which is technically ‘dead’ (e. g. iron resolution) has in effect reverted to being an ordinary word and can generally be used without loss of vividness. But in between these two classes there is a huge dump of worn-out metaphors which have lost all evocative power and are merely used because they save people the trouble of inventing phrases for themselves. Examples are: Ring the changes on, take up the cudgel for, toe the line, ride roughshod over, stand shoulder to shoulder with, play into the hands of, no axe to grind, grist to the mill, fishing in troubled waters, on the order of the day, Achilles’ heel, swan song, hotbed. Many of these are used without knowledge of their meaning (what is a ‘rift’, for instance?), and incompatible metaphors are frequently mixed, a sure sign that the writer is not interested in what he is saying. Some metaphors now current have been twisted out of their original meaning without those who use them even being aware of the fact. For example, toe the line is sometimes written as tow the line. Another example is the hammer and the anvil, now always used with the implication that the anvil gets the worst of it. In real life it is always the anvil that breaks the hammer, never the other way about: a writer who stopped to think what he was saying would avoid perverting the original phrase.

17. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Can you ever just defend Orange Nixon not being an idiot without constantly mentioning Obama and Hillary? Its laughable you think Obama was more egotistical than Trump. It's laughable you think he lied as much or more than Trump. It's laughable you think he insulted people more than Trump. And its sad your best defense of all things Trump is "But Obama! But Hillary!"

Obama did not think Russia was as large of a threat as Romney, and he did make mistakes with Russia. But he was also not in the Kremlin's pocket. We imposed sanctions, something Trump has made clear he doesn't want to do (wonder why?).

Your comparisons are not only NOT equal, they are laughable and verifiable as not even based in reality.