The SB5 death watch thread

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Unless the polls are wildly off, Ohio Senate Bill 5, our version of the kind of anti-union legislation that started in Wisconsin and spread to Indiana and other states, will go down in flames tonight.

We have another state issue which may very well pass tonight, though. Issue 3 is one of those goofy attempts to negate the Affordable Care Act by stating that the feds can't make us buy health insurance. Even the backers of this thing admit that this law won't survive a constitutional challenge. Their point is they want to "send a message" to Washington.

Uh, okay.

So, do any of you have any big issues going on where you live? And is the SB5 thing being watched by anyone outside of Ohio?

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I'm keeping an eye on the Mississippi personhood vote. Although I don't live in that state.

3. leekohler, Nov 8, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2011

leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Hopefully, both of those stupid things go down in flames.

4. Thomas Veil, Nov 8, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2011

Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

All the results aren't in, but Senate Bill 5 (Issue 2) is already being declared dead. :cool:

Issue 3 is passing, though. Thank goodness it won't have any force of law.

I'd forgotten about the Mississippi thing. Not seeing any results for that yet.
    Edit: page didn't load correctly the first time. Only 7% of the vote in, but it's failing 56%-44%.

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

OMG, they must have Women's Suffrage. :rolleyes:

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Good to hear Thomas! Next, get rid of your idiot governor!

7. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Unfortunately, there is no significant impeachment movement (and, truth to tell, on what charge?). So we've got three more years of this guy. But his popularity is in the toilet.

For the moment, he and his Republican colleagues have already hinted at their intentions of cloistering behind closed doors to see what parts of SB5 they think they can pass separately. So unless the magnitude of the defeat totally demoralizes that effort (latest figures say it was rejected 62%-38%), this ain't over. Our best bet is replacing many of our overwhelmingly GOP state senators and representatives next year. That's easier in the northern half of the state than the southern half, though.

Apparently Wisconsin doesn't allow citizens' initiatives on the ballot, so those poor people are just out of luck with their anti-labor law. (Time for a constitutional amendment over there, folks.)

I'm surprised at the margin by which Ohio Issue 3, the anti-Affordable Care Act law, passed. I mentioned that it won't trump the ACA, but people also fear that it could have bad unintended side effects such as preventing schools from requiring kids to be immunized.

Back on the positive side, I was also surprised to see the Mississippi initiative go down so handily. I mean, it's Mississippi.

And I found one other nice return. The Arizona state senator who wrote that horrible anti-immigration law has lost his recall election.

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Then don't demean it with :rolleyes:, yell it from the roof-tops. ;)

There IS hope for the future in the good ol' U. S. of A. :D

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

All of these results are huge rebukes to the Teapublicans. They would do well to pay attention.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Here in MI, a historic recall took down a Tea-leaning GOP rep.

http://www.detnews.com/article/2011...-says-he-accepts-his-recall-in-Genesee-County

Interestingly, I heard him on the radio implicate special interests in his ballot-driven ouster, but he does have a point, in that the Michigan Education Association heavily financed the push to get him recalled, and one of the central issues over his recall was how to move forward with school funding.

11. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

The best thing to happen to the Democrats was the Tea Party sweep in 2010.

However, my concern is now that we're going to be moving more into reactionary politics. Where the incumbent party is going to get swept out every 2-4 years. That does not bode well for any sort of long term strategy.

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Our local city elections yesterday, interestingly, was a sweep by incumbents. The mayor won against a non-credible contender, but two others beat "outside-the-current-power-structure" candidates. There were some other key wins for incumbents in bigger markets yesterday, too.

13. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Wow, crocodile tears about "special interests"?? That's funny right there. :D

The Tea Party set the bar that low, then wail when others go under it too.