The Scientific Merit(s) of Intelligent Design

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by .Andy, Aug 31, 2008.

1. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Evolution threads vs intelligent design threads are old and busted around here. So let's just focus on Intelligent Design without straying into evolution at all. Pointing to what you perceive as wrong/what you don't understand about evolution does not in any way add merit to intelligent design.

Intelligent design proclaims to be science. To be a science it must stand on it's own merits, explain the natural phenomena and its assertions be backed by observation and experiment. Proponents also emphasise that the christian god is not required for intelligent design, so please no references to the bible or scriptures of any sort.

To quote wikipedia on what constitutes a scientific theory;
    A main aim of intelligent design proponents is to have intelligent design taught in schools as science. McCain's new VP pick is all for teaching it in science class. So what exactly makes intelligent design a viable scientific theory?

2. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

The designs in nature are rarely intelligent. They're frequently Rube Goldberg machines.

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

By the very nature of their proposed "theory," there are no scientific merits to intelligent design. Absolutely none.

It's not testable, either by experiment or observation, and certainly has failed to make accurate predictions of the past (in the form of fossil records) and in no way can make predictions of the future.

4. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Clearly just about everything to do with religion, and specifically 'intelligent design' cannot even be discussed in a scientific framework. Simply stated you can't argue any religious point of view as 'science', because it cannot be tested or observed. That's the problem with 'faith'...it goes against much of what modern science is founded upon. You can't build a body of observable evidence to support the ideas of intelligent design, you can't provide concrete evidence of God's existence, you're just supposed to believe that he exists. As much as Christians would love to mesh their religious beliefs together with science, the differences are irreconcilable.

5. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    Thanks. This question is a maddening one. I realize the concept of Intelligent Design was intended for political purposes, but its upsetting that its rooted in such a stark inability to distinguish itself as an actual set of laws and principles, which can be submitted to scientific study of investigation. Instead... its a generalization based on an observation. While Einstein has been popularly quoted as saying "God does not play dice with the Universe", ID leaps in to concur, without actually adding anything to the discussion except "I agree, but can't tell you why".

~ CB

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Intelligent Design has zero scientific merit. It is not based on science nor the scientific process at all. It should not be taught as a science in the same way that Chemistry should not be taught as a religion.

7. djellison macrumors 68020

Nothing. It's a religious belief - not a scientific theory. Teaching it in science classes is nothing short of brainwashing.

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It's not going to be much of a debate if we don't have any dissenters.

9. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Hold on there a second. Don't blame it on every Christian when the vast majority (at least officially) don't go for "Intelligent design".

10. nanofrog macrumors G4

Maybe their flame retardant suits are at the cleaners. :p

11. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Methinks people would rather defend it when they can end all objection by calling the entire matter "Off Topic". My biggest issue discussing it, is that its SO INCREDIBLY vague, that I can't even form an opposing argument in my own head. My AOL screen name wasn't "Indefinite" for nothing... I enjoy routinely arguing with myself on any given issue, but this one has my devil's advocate shrugging and saying, "I got nuthin'." :p

~ CB

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

No intelligence required, only the will to become and a standing wave in entropic space.

13. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

The scientific merits probably come solely down to boosting the employability of devoutly Christian yet ultimately insecure geeks who feel a need to justify their existence in the God Space.

The truly righteous wouldn't even get involved in the justification of their beliefs in a scientific manner because for them, the world is the way it is because the Lord made it so. That at least to me is more consistent.

14. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Intelligent Design is not a theory, it is a fact. But I will not debate; my flame retardant suit is at the cleaners.:p

15. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

I think the scientific merits simply do not exist. The "concept" exists purely as an empty shell to occupy space reserved for competing theories that can be "taught" or "debated" in the school setting. NO ONE else cares about it. Not geeks, not intellectuals, not Christians, not Catholics... no one. The ONLY time it gains interest, even from its supporters, is when someone mentions the teaching of evolution and someone else feels that it undermines their religious beliefs.

Judge Rejects Teaching Intelligent Design
    Article Posted December 21, 2005
    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/21/education/21evolution.html
    Almost three years after this ruling... we're still talking about it, and its as empty an assertion... an alternative theory... as ever. But, don't tell that to the Republican Party in the U.S. I thought, for 2008... this article (below) represented a sad place for us to be:
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/08/30/MNSK12HD6J.DTL
    Such novel... NEW concepts... :rolleyes:

~ CB

16. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

In Minnesota we just got called out for our lack of science in public schools, now with out expanding science our governor wants intelligent design taught in our schools.

IMO there is a reason the University of Minnesota produces scientists and engineers and North Central which is a Catholic university does not.

17. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Oh, my God. This is as bad as the people leafing through statements to identify popular historical figures that were atheists. --Hey, instead of just trying to be validated by association, figure out WHAT "Inteligent Design" actually is. Here's the problem, you can be someone who believes God created the world, and STILL believe in EVOLUTION. It's TRUE! The distinction has to come, where someone disavows evolution and natural selection AND supports the narrative of the creation AND exists as a scientist. Such a tall order is a lot rarer than the distortions on the page you cited. Your unwillingness to "debate" is a shame. It's possible you could sway someone's mind with your reason.

~ CB

18. calculus Guest

calculus

Intelligent Design is of course the truth. Just consider for a moment the following...

• The raspberry - it's awesome, there is no way that it could have happened by 'accident'
    • Shoes - these are brilliant too, and have 'design' stamped all over them
    • Cheesy Chips! The potato and cheese were clearly designed with each other in mind.

I'm sure there are many other examples that people can contribute...

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I think you'll need a bloody good thesis more than a flame-retardant suit. Come on, don't leave us hanging, Red. :)

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Well of course there's also Love and Marriage and Horses and Carriages.

21. djellison macrumors 68020

Is your evidence at the cleaners as well?

22. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

My God gave me a brain. I will not cast my pearls before swine (not speaking of any of you fine gentlemen, and ladies), nor will I throw myself to the wolves! Carry on; I will be reading.:):rolleyes:

23. calculus Guest

calculus

I believe that you can't have one without the other. Francis told me...

24. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Don't believe everything you hear: Francis is known for talking out of his Assisi.

25. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

[​IMG]