The self propagating myth of the left wing media

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by AhmedFaisal, Mar 26, 2010.

1. AhmedFaisal, Mar 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2011
  2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Everything is always relative to where we are standing

Everyone to the left of "me" is a left wing liberal whacko
    Everyone to the right of "me" is a right wing fundamentalist nut case

Everyone who drives faster than me is a crazy endangering lives
    Everyone who drives slower than me is a slow poke ninny endangering lives

Everyone who drinks more than me is an alcoholic
    Everyone who drinks less than me is a T totaler prohibitionist

It is how we view the world

3. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

From a world perspective it may not be liberal bias, but for the US contained it is. There are quite a few instances of the leftist media harping on the right for particular issues and when the truth comes out the story simply disappears. Take the census worker with FED written on his chest, before there was even investigation the right was lambasted. After it was found out it was a fraud the media drops the whole story and its never reported on again or is found on page 16.

Obama was on a media honeymoon most of his campaign and well into his presidency until he started down a path that clashed a bit with liberals.

4. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

In terms of cable left-wing bias, I suggest you listen to MSNBC Ahmed. They're a low-ratings cable news outfit that best exemplifies the "left wing bias" you can't seem to see. Numerous examples of that network cheering for Obama and his policies, news anchors infatuated, in a sick and twisted way, with Obama, and other advocacy for the administration are quite clear. I also suggest you listen to CNN, though they exhibit far less overt bias recently. Interestingly enough, if you want proof of bias in journalist financial support of politicians, MSNBC itself confirmed its own proof of bias a few years ago with its own independent investigation of journalist politician financial support (verified through Accuracy in Media):

Journalists dole out cash to politicians
    By Bill Dedman
    msnbc.com
    updated 5:07 p.m. ET, Mon., June 25, 2007
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19113485/
    "MSNBC.com identified 143 journalists who made political contributions from 2004 through the start of the 2008 campaign, according to the public records of the Federal Election Commission. Most of the newsroom checkbooks leaned to the left: 125 journalists gave to Democrats and liberal causes. Only 16 gave to Republicans. Two gave to both parties."

MSNBC Confirms Liberal Media Bias
    AIM Column | By Roger Aronoff | June 27, 2007
    http://www.aim.org/aim-column/msnbc-confirms-liberal-media-bias/

5. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Because

Left Wing Media gets a shiver up it's leg when Obama talks :confused:

6. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

FoxNews, Wall St. Journal, Clearchannel, Rupert Murdoch, News Corp, Limbaugh, Hannity, Coulter, Glenn Beck, Mark Levin, Bill O'Reilly vs. 2 shows on MSNBC, Olbermann and Madow? Oh, Stephanie Miller.

Can anyone really name any other "news" or talk shows on radio or TV that are blatently out for the democrats?

Hannity has a book on how to defeat the left. The others are so biased it is silly. But, turn on your radio any day and you're bombarded with right wing media. Turn on your TV and you get either mostly neutral news or FoxNews which is outright slanted to the right.

(edit) ITN, you know that FoxNews won't hire you if you aren't a Republican right? (edit) How about conservative... make ya happy ITN?

7. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

(edit) MCRAIN, you know that neither Beck, O'Reilly, nor Hannity are Republicans? They're Independents! Oh horrors! I just let slip some veritas. Silly me!

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Being listed as independent doesn't mean ****. Look at Leiberdouche. All the guys you mentioned are right wingers btw, which was the point.

9. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Hannity isn't a republican? (edit) Conservative? http://www.hannity.com/article/sean-s-new-book-conservative-victory/10302

On his show yesterday or the day before he was saying how he was a Reagan supporter and lifelong conservative.

Glen Beck was the CPAC keynote speaker.

Bill O'Reilly - O'Reilly has long said that he does not identify with any political party. On December 6, 2000, The Daily News in New York reported, however, that he had been registered with the Republican Party in the state of New York since 1994. When questioned about this, he said that he was not aware of it and says he registered as an independent after the interview.

10. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

The point here is to dispute your earlier claim, i.e.,

which is patently false and one I have already shown false. Moreover, there are several other Fox regular contributors, who are long time Democrats, Geraldo Rivera among others, that dispute your assessment. Lastly, please learn the difference between Registered Independent and Republican as it seems you have some trouble with the term; Hannity, Beck, and O'Reilly all claim that Registered Independent political affiliation. Matter of fact I am only aware, for sure, of two (2) Fox panelists that are confirmed members of the Republican Party (GOP).

That means only that he was a CPAC speaker, not a Republican. It might indicate he's a conservative, but not definitively. As mentioned, Beck is a Registered Independent. Matter of fact I met many Independents, Democrats, and Republicans at CPAC.

11. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Wow, that was a lot of smoke and mirrors to make your point that they are 'registered independents' but admittedly conservatives.

So, ignoring all of that... ITN, can you point to any 'registered independent' but incredibly obvious liberal people that have similar air time to those 'registered independent' but obviously conservative pundits?

12. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

You and Beck were both at CPAC? :eek:

Well, that theory is blown. Or is it? ;)

(edit hopefully to make up for back to back posts...)

http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=3957

Do you know of any anecdotal evidence that CNN or even MSNBC engages in such outright slanting/bias?

By the way, on Fox and Friends this morning, a female reporter was talking off the cuff about her story on Hollywood celebrities making outlandish claims... She said, "They're liberals, no one listens to them..." She realized what she said and tried to cover it up... I think her script had her saying they are celebrities, but she got mixed up.

13. macfan881 macrumors 68020

The General Idea i think is from Conservatives and even Moderate republicans if there are even many of those left any more pretty much have this theroy that if its something that it doesn't agree with them its the Liberal agenda or Liberal media etc.

14. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

In addition to Geraldo Rivera who has his own show on Fox, I also need point to Juan Williams, political analyst; former NPR contributor, appears several days a week on various Fox shows, and has also served several times as guest host of the O'Reilly Factor.

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

"Registered independent"

Big deal. I'm not registered as any party (I suppose that makes me a registered independent too) but that doesn't mean I'm not a staunch Democrat. And since "registered X" doesn't mean you have to vote for party X, what you're registered as doesn't mean a goddamn thing.

16. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Please

I think it's silly to try to claim that pundits such as Hannity and O'Reilly are "independent".

Radio is dominated by conservative hosts (except for public radio, LOL) and TV, for the most part, is more liberal.

Just listen to how ABC, NBC news hosts spin things.

Lets say, hypothetically, that the topic is some new health care thing for kids.

NBC would hypothetically report it as
    -"Republican leaders declare intention to filibuster new Health care bill that would provide care for millions of low income children. Senior democratic officials decry obstructionist tactics"

Fox would hypothetically report it as "Republican leaders decide to block new spending bill in reaction to skyrocketing budget deficits"

Both sides are essentially telling the truth, but it sounds totally different.

Its the spin, and I notice more liberal spin on TV.

17. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I agree with you, but the spin on the radio is overwhelmingly and blatantly biased to the right, while the spin on TV is somewhat biased to the left (with at least an attempt at neutrality), except on FoxNews where it is blatantly biased to the right.

There is some bias on the supposedly neutral TV news shows, but it is dwarfed by the right-leaning bias on the Radio and FoxNews.

18. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

There's been much hooha and noise about journalist perceived bias as it relates to either party affiliation or campaign contributions. Journalists are, or at least should be, working professionals who hold the standards of the occupation above partisan feelings.

A good journalist should be willing to engage subjects of varying class, sex, race, and political persuasion to get a story. A good journalist should be willing to speak to criminals and the mentally disturbed, the downtrodden and the successful, the smart and the stupid. And do this without personal judgement, but only the professional shrewdness to find and tell a story, bringing light to darkness and truth to falsehood.

Of course, journalists are only human, but the idea that the right continuously argues for, that only political persuasion matters and that truth is a secondary and even naive concept, is a serious mistake. Rather than celebrating the independent professional, the right has demanded that journalists adhere to one political side. Rather than cheering for a press that asks dangerous questions at impolite times, the right has asked for a lapdog media incapable to asking hard questions because it is too busy acting as PR for politicians.

If one side thinks a journalist is doing a wonderful job, he's not doing his job.

19. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

So true!

The journalists should be "battling", in essence, both parties, and both parties should loathe all journalists.

In a perfect world.

Came across this interesting chart...

[​IMG]

I realize that the most recent year recorded was 92, and it was done by MRC which you guys will surely hound as "biased", but its interesting nonetheless.

http://www.mrc.org/static/biasbasics/mediabias101.aspx
    -Lots of interesting stuff in this study.

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Given US Democrats are right of centre on an international scale you'd expect people who know about the world to be more left leaning than average in the US.

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Wow, you just used your own hypotheticals as evidence of your claims......

22. Queso macrumors G4

It depends completely on your surroundings and peer group. If you hang around with a bunch of Christian nutjob Tea Party members or are an RNC talent scout 99.99999% of the human race will appear to have a left-wing bias. The definition of the political centre is completely subjective.

23. bobertoq macrumors 6502a

I suppose you've never watched Fox News, eh? But there is nothing wrong with a right-wing bias, only a left-wing bias.

24. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Indeed, there is very clear evidence of that.

25. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

This is hardly relevant.

Journalists voting patterns mean nothing. Why?

Because they are restrained by both their owners and advertisers who almost always have a right leaning, pro corporate perspective.