The sham that is NCAA Football 09 for Wii

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Michael CM1, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

This has got to be the worst game ever pushed to people for $50. This one may keep me from ever giving EA another dollar again.

I read reviews about the game beforehand. Online dynasty, download rosters online, blah blah blah. It turned out to look like some pirated cartoon. I think they spent the most time working on the STUPID mascot game.

I checked out a couple of other forums (including the one on EA) and found out I'm not the only one who feels tricked. I just don't get not having a single online component almost two years after the console debuted. Konami put out an excellent soccer game (Pro Evolution Soccer 2008) that didn't make me feel like I was playing a Bratz-branded product. Does EA just not get the Wii for non-kids?

2. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    I think that is partially true for ALL Wii developers, I love my Wii but where are the titles? :(

3. Michael CM1 thread starter macrumors 603

At least Nintendo gets it. The Zelda game was awesome, SMG blew me away (after the crap that was SM Sunshine).

DDR could look a bit less like rainbow diarrhea, but I would be more interested in the ability to download new tracks. As I said, Konami seems to get it. PES 2008 is very nice, although I think their menus could be a bit less confusing (a little more "American" would help).

Still, EA takes the cake for "how stupid can you get?" I at least expected a slightly-polished version of NCAA Football 06 for PS2 (the last one I bought). Nope, not even that. Did I mention the bugs where sometimes it throws to the wrong receiver? Oy.

4. reberto macrumors 65816

reberto

Manhunt 2 :D It's a sick and twisted game, it made my Wii turn black and start shooting fire out the DVD drive!

5. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Really, now that's what I like to hear! I'll peep that. My personal fave is Godfather: Black Hand (choke from behind move is sick on the Wii!) :D

But I sure wish there were more "adult" games for my Wii... :(

6. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

I saw this title at a local game shop yesterday and got REALLY excited at first. Then I wondered what was with the ridiculous mascot on the cover. This couldn't possibly be the cover they chose for NCAA '09, could it??

Of course not, this is the stupid Wii version of NCAA '09.

Why won't EA release a real version of the game for the Wii???!!

And what's with this "All-Play" crap on all of EA's sports games now? Do they really think they need to dumb down the controls becase grandma is going to play a football game?

Seriously. EA is pissing me off.

:mad:

7. thegreatunknown macrumors regular

uh EA starting pissing me off when they starting rehashing the same game over and over and over again just with new names on the jerseys. I guess that was over 10 years ago. Sounds like they at least changed the game this time!

8. liptonlover macrumors 6502a

The wii has been a constant source of frustration for me. I know what it can do. I know other people know what it can do. I know and other people know what it should be doing. But instead they hardly take advantage of the motion sensors, and make horrible games that are crappy whether on the wii or not. Smash bros could have been AMAZING if they had used the motion sensors. Instead all you do is whack for a special punch thing. There are few wii titles I'm not disappointed in.
    People could also get creative with extra things. There was a video online I saw where this guy had glasses with IR lights on each side just above the ear. You set up the wiimote in front of the TV, and then the program he demonstrated looks like it was in 3D because it changed as you moved, wearing the glasses. People can do this, but they're not.
    I don't mind that nintendo tries to stay away from really bad games, but they should at least pressure these companies to make better games.

Who made mario kart wii? Does nintendo make all the games with the classic mario troupe?

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Uh, no. I love motion controls but they don't work for some games. Fighting being one of them. Since you're playing augmented characters, where motion controls work for more "realistic" games. This is where standard controllers and other control options come into play.

Of course. They license out Mario Party now and the last F-Zero game was developed by both Nintendo and Sega. The handheld Mario RPG's are also out sourced.

10. macdot macrumors 6502

Bought NCAA 09 for Wii for $25 and am happy with it. Heard Madden is fantastic though, may have to pick it up.

11. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

Define "happy with it".

Pros / Cons?

What is your interest level in the genre? Did you just pick it up because it was cheap, or were you going to get it anyway?

Sorry for the questions, just trying to get a feel for the situation. :)